Should I buy a tumble dryer?

(37 Posts)
Suddengeekgirl Mon 11-Nov-13 07:16:35

We have never owned a tumble dryer.

I am fed up with trying to dry washing in the winter. I've been getting caught out by rain that wasn't in the forecast. And despite hanging washing out in the sunshine yesterday it still came in cold and damp. The dc are 2&4 so their clothes are taking up more and more space in the washer and ds needs his uniform washed and dried fairly quickly for school.

After lot of moaning dh has said just get one. smile

But now I'm worrying if its just an expensive mistake - in terms of electricity. confused

It would have to live in the garage, which is only accessible through the garage door. A bit of a faff but much easier than going out to the garden in the rain I guess.
This would also mean that I'd need a condenser one.

Anyhow after that rather long ramble blush...

Should I get a tumble dryer?
We've managed this far without one... confused

doglover Mon 11-Nov-13 19:14:24

I was told it would just go out through/under the door?

blueberryupsidedown Mon 11-Nov-13 19:21:45

We have a tumble dryer and dry the clothes mostly outside and use the dryer to get rid of the last moisture out of clothes, or when it's raining for days in a row, or when the kids are sick. It's very useful and you don't have to use it all the time for everything. COuld this be an alternative? www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-Soon-3-Tier-Heated-Tower-Airer?src=gfeed&gclid=CNSIiue53boCFYbLtAodBRUAvw

LeeLooDallasMultiPass Mon 11-Nov-13 19:38:31

I wouldn't want all that warm damp air in my garage, there is a reason it has be vented out of a building.

just go for a condenser one.

I need to correct myself, I said before mine goes on the damp setting, it doesn't (I have just put it on) I put mine on storage dry.

Our AEG was from John Lewis simply because it died the week before Christmas and no-one could do a delivery for weeks and JL was open until 10pm. Dh drove a 2 hour round trip to collect it. That's how much we value the tumble drier.

Aquariusgirl86 Mon 11-Nov-13 19:42:18

I have one but if it broke I wouldn't replace it. It shrinks stuff so I don't put thd kids stuff in. Just underwear and sheets, and it's something like 50p an hour to run (not entirely sure!) I'm thinking of getting a heated airer

Suddengeekgirl Mon 11-Nov-13 21:00:28

Oh well now I'm confused!

Dh has had a very quick look at tumble driers online and said
"Why don't we just put a hole in the wall and get a vented one?"

I wasn't keen on sticking a hole in the wall but he's happy to pay a man to

So....
Vented or condensing? confused

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 11-Nov-13 21:04:24

The vented seem to be worse on leccy than condensing.

Cheaper to buy though.

PinkStarStuck Mon 11-Nov-13 21:10:47

I'd do vented if you know that your dryer is going to stay in that particular spot (i.e you aren't likely to move house...change your mind about where you want to keep it).

I love my condenser but it is a pita to take the tank out and empty it, I keep it away from any external walls so I don't have a choice...

Pistillate Mon 11-Nov-13 21:36:15

Someone on a housekeeping thread was telling about their system with a dehumidifier... They had a clothes rail, hangers, a rack for small things. This requires a space set up for it, but she reckoned it was cheaper than running a tumble drier...

Suddengeekgirl Mon 11-Nov-13 21:36:22

Fluffy - after looking at buying guides online I thought the vented were cheaper to run than a condenser - unless you get one of the AAA+ super condenser types. The budget won't stretch to one of those. smile

Pink - after the trauma of buying this house I am never moving again! smile so any tumble dryer would be staying put - unless the kitchen gets gutted/ refurbished. Which isn't going to happen in less than 5 years or ever according to dh

I don't find the condenser too much effort to empty. You need to empty the filter after every load so I do both at same time. There is a drain near my garage so the water goes down there or on the plants.

PigletJohn Tue 12-Nov-13 12:48:07

looking at running costs on Which, the modern ones generally use about the same electricity: 30p to 50p per load depending on whether it is a light load of synthetics, or a heavy load of cotton towels.

The few which are cheaper to run are the heat-pump machines, which are three or four times the price to buy.

I prefer a vented, as it is cheaper to buy, and much less complicated so has less to go wrong. You can get a core drill from a tool hire shop that will make a neat round hole in a brick or block wall.

If you prefer to make a hole in a wooden door, a padsaw or jigsaw will do it.

Suddengeekgirl Tue 12-Nov-13 14:07:22

Thanks piglet smile
The super heat pump ones are way out of the 'reasonable' price bracket for us.

Think we will go for a vented after all - the simplicity of repair jobs sounds sensible.

Still not sure about letting dh loose with a core drill... confused
still living with the bathroom mirror that is too high for me to see myself in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now