One House/Garden Home Improvement a Day Challenge

(391 Posts)
BloodiedGhouloshes Fri 01-Nov-13 17:32:51

Does anyone want to join?

I seem to get bogged down in the day to day grind of keeping the house running and never have time to do the stuff I want to do.

I have so many projects I want to get done... from small (washing curtains!) to large- renovating the kitchen/conservatory and the back garden into a patio.

I thought if I made it an imperative to do something each day, by the time one year is up this place will be transformed.

My place... mid-terrace Victorian. 3 Dcs. 3 dogs 2 cats. Total chaos.

Today I:

1. bought from the local charity shop 5 little cut glass tiny vases of varying heights and put roses in them and bundled them together 'artfully' on the mantelpiece.

2. strung fairy lights up our bannister.

Okay- it's two things. smile

Tomorrow I plan to repot some plants before winter.

Anyone want to join the 365 day challenge?

Inspired by this thread, I cleared out the cupboard under the sink today.
For tomorrows job I will clear and clean the tops of the kitchen cupboards. Steam cleaner is at the ready.
New fridge freezer arrives on tuesday , so am wanting the kitchen to be spring cleaned before then.

dukester Mon 24-Feb-14 00:26:01

My front room Is going to look ace can't wait to get the curtains up now lettherebecupcakes am not that hot on sewing but I may ask a good friend of mine to do them up a bit for me . Today I washed the blinds can't believe how dirty they were so ashamed I never realised .
Will be going over the window ledges tomorrow with a coat of satinwood and starting the woodwork in the hall .

Ooh I love Ikea. Always gets expensive when I go though! I'd love some of their trofast storage for DS' room but we can't afford it right now.

dukestar you could always make some curtains, or embellish the cream ones. Just a band of fabric in a suitable colour would really brighten up cream curtains and would be pretty easy to do.

Yesterday I decluttered the cutlery drawer - even DH was impressed! I'm moving on to the bathroom now. The master bedroom is mostly done (aside from DH's wardrobe - I need him around for that!). So bathroom was deep cleaned today and over the next week I plan to declutter the cabinet and storage box, and try and persuade DH to finish decorating it.

I also got my Dad to pick up about a dozen plants we have been storing whilst he moved house. He moved in November so high time he reclaimed them! Oh, and I decluttered half a packet of digestive biscuits into a banoffee pie. That counts, right? My home definitely seems improved by its presence!

SlightlyDampWellies Sat 22-Feb-14 12:00:47

Good morning!

This weekend I have an ambition to plant 1,000 bulbs. Potting mix, pots and bulbs are on my shopping list! I have about a dozen empty pots, so will fill them all with bulbs and scatter on the terrace. I want to plant a mix of spring and summer bulbs so we have something going on for alot of the year.

dukester Fri 21-Feb-14 10:06:19

Utility not ultimate room haha

dukester Fri 21-Feb-14 10:05:06

Ooh ikea I want to come . Well 0H has painted the kitchen ceiling needs another coat though. He's aiming for the ultimate room to be completed this evening am hoping he will finish the ceiling too .
The plan is to keep washing the skirting boards in short spurts and next week when the kids go back to school get them painted too.
Just off to start the shed hate this job it's going to take ages

RudyMentary Thu 20-Feb-14 23:19:41

A trip to Ikea today
...... nuff said grin

dukester Thu 20-Feb-14 13:06:26

I am now the proud owner of 8 cushions and a candle in a lovely damson colour ( plus some paint for the kitchen ) . Couldn't find Ny good curtains though may hZve to settle for the boring cream ones I already have.
Am definitely going to make a huge effort clearing out the shed and garden tomorrow morning . Feel like am not getting much done with the kids being off school . Hopefully OH will make some progress with the painting this evening while I am at work.. Going to spend another half hour.wiping down woodwork later such a boring job .

getoffthephonenoworelse Wed 19-Feb-14 12:46:01

Afternoon all, yesterday I bought a new mirror for the showeroom and dh put it up for me and later on he is going to hang a new picture I bought a few weeks ago in TK max. I have shifted some of my pictures into different rooms over the past few weeks and everyone is getting used to the new display. There was a lot of moaning about "that doesn't go there" and the like but I just ignored them as I keep telling my dc that I can hang pictures anywhere as it is my house!!!
Its lovely here today so later on me and dh are going to go out to the garden and shift the potting table down to the greenhouse (makes more sense to have it there) and then dh might take down an old shed that's not really used for anything and the roof leaking. I might go onto argos site later and see about getting one of those metal sheds. Have a good day everyone

SlightlyDampWellies Wed 19-Feb-14 09:46:42

Hello and welcome!

This morning I bought more potting mix and 80 summer bulbs. I will repot some shrubs that were blown to smithereens by the wind and will remove the dead cyclamen on the balcony and plant the summer bulbs.

dippingmytoeinagain Tue 18-Feb-14 21:28:25

Hello, I'd like to join in this thread too please smile. I am kind of getting on with decluttering/sorting/reorganising pending a house move but keep putting off certain jobs so I'm hoping that posting here will help me get them done!

Yesterday I finally sorted out the kids old playhouse in the garden (took about 15 minutes but I've been putting it off for about 3 months!). Today, started to put the photo prints into the album sleeves (and frustratingly have now filled them all up so need to order some more). Tomorrow I plan to sort out the pile of photoframes that I took off the shelves about 6 weeks ago, with the intention of updating some of the pictures, but have sat there ever since. I'll also hoover the inside of the car, weather permitting, as it currently resembles a wheelybin blush.

And as I'm sat here, I'm deleting all the rubbish/watched programmes off the satellite recorder box that just clutter it up.

It is all a bit never ending tho'...especially the DDs bedroom shock

RudyMentary Tue 18-Feb-14 09:22:50

What colour dukestar?

dukester Tue 18-Feb-14 08:39:24

Last night I finally decided on the accent colour for the living room and am going to buy some lovely cushions I have seen this afternoon. And hope to pick up a few more bits tomorrow in tkmax .

Still battling away preparing the skirting boards for a coat of satin wood it's taking forever . I need to actually buy more paint too as the decorating has temporarily stopped while OH has no paint .

RudyMentary Tue 18-Feb-14 06:58:39

I will jump in when I can - helps to motivate me smile

Yesterday I put a new picture up and hand waxed my table and chairs.
Today I plan to clean the grout on the bathroom floor tiles - it will require some bleach and an old toothbrush.

SlightlyDampWellies Tue 18-Feb-14 06:53:13

Today I plan to sweep the terrace. It is filled with mud and leaves. Tomorrow we have a real estate agent coming to value the house (we are not sure we want to sell, but have seen a huge money pit of a house we would love to buy!).

Also I need to change some lightbulbs and put some paperwork away.

SlightlyDampWellies Mon 17-Feb-14 14:59:44

I am still around, just I have not achieved much lately!

I did a shedload of washing and have booked the window cleaner, but that is it for now. I also trimmed the red roses I bought for DH and placed them in little cut glasses around the house.

Oh dear, I seem to have killed the thread!

Anyway, managed to sort the contents of the car, as well as decluttering 2 kitchen drawers. Impromptu day off today as DS is unwell. Plan is to sort out DH's wardrobe today.

I've been lurking here for weeks so thought I should post! We have a small 3 bed end terraced and far too much stuff so I'm currently having a massive declutter. I have it all planned - 16 spreadsheets worth of planning in fact!

DH has gone away for the weekend and he completely emptied out his car before he went, kindly dumping the whole lot in the living room. So my job today is dealing with that little lot!

SlightlyDampWellies Fri 14-Feb-14 09:34:02

Everyone welcome to join!!!

RudyMentary Fri 14-Feb-14 07:03:00

I could do with doing this!
We moved in this house last summer and we still aren't sorted - and as for the garden!

Am I too late to join?

SlightlyDampWellies Fri 14-Feb-14 06:52:56

Right. Have booked a massive hedge clean for later this month. That will make an incredible difference to our garden. It is straggly and overgrown.

Today - have a pile of bills and paperwork sitting on the worktop. That will be dealt with today.

SlightlyDampWellies Fri 07-Feb-14 06:08:58

It is amazing how quickly the results just add up to something big!

dukester Fri 07-Feb-14 00:17:15

Now I am actually seeing the results of my hardwork it's much more inspiring to continue to improve the house. Though the kids are a bit scared that i keep chucking stuff out. Really want to sort out the gardens now too .
Today I found some new handles for an old chest of draws am going to paint it white too. Decorating the living room tomorrow afternoon will be mostly prep till dd4 goes to bed .

SlightlyDampWellies Thu 06-Feb-14 14:25:36

Today I put all the kitchen clutter into the utility room and jammed the door shut. The kitchen looks great!

grin

Pumpkin567 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:20:02

Fell off this thread but I'm back!
Today I scrubbed and cleaned out half of the kitchen cupboards and drawers. They look great and I decluttered and organised them too. -- they were filthy--

I need to the other half now. A very productive day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now