One House/Garden Home Improvement a Day Challenge

(391 Posts)
BloodiedGhouloshes Fri 01-Nov-13 17:32:51

Does anyone want to join?

I seem to get bogged down in the day to day grind of keeping the house running and never have time to do the stuff I want to do.

I have so many projects I want to get done... from small (washing curtains!) to large- renovating the kitchen/conservatory and the back garden into a patio.

I thought if I made it an imperative to do something each day, by the time one year is up this place will be transformed.

My place... mid-terrace Victorian. 3 Dcs. 3 dogs 2 cats. Total chaos.

Today I:

1. bought from the local charity shop 5 little cut glass tiny vases of varying heights and put roses in them and bundled them together 'artfully' on the mantelpiece.

2. strung fairy lights up our bannister.

Okay- it's two things. smile

Tomorrow I plan to repot some plants before winter.

Anyone want to join the 365 day challenge?

SlightlyDampWellies Sun 03-Nov-13 07:46:43

MMmm....pumpkin pie.

I am certainly growing my cyclamen in pots.... I am no gardnener though. A few streets away there is a row of about 5 houses where they all seem to be competing with each other for lovely window planters. Cyclamen seems to be pretty common there so I am extremely hopeful that just for once I do not kill a plant off!

I am ready for my great big cleanup day. DH is going away for work this afternoon.... he hates and detests throwing anything out as apparently even broken plastic pots will come in useful hmm so I am sneakily waiting for him to leave......

SlightlyDampWellies Sun 03-Nov-13 07:47:39

Oooh... something I forgot. Considering this is supposed to be a 365 day challenge, should we be counting? Today is Day 3/365.

ooerrmissus Sun 03-Nov-13 09:10:48

Did the pictures yesterday; they are actually level now! DH spotted me whilst I was redoing them and said 'that's a fancy gadget you've got there'.
It was a spirit level! Dingbat!
So today's job is to tackle all the ones he did in the cloakroom that look like something you'd find in a haunted house. May have to get my 'fancy gadget' out again.
Whilst I'm there I really must tackle the shoe rack that is slowly collapsing. Any tips for where I can get a three tier shoe rack no more than 80cm wide? I saw a good one in ikea but they've sold out.

ChippingInLovesAGoodBang Sun 03-Nov-13 09:32:01

ooerr - your husband is clearly somewhat DIY challenged grin

SlightlyDamp - good thread smile Good sneaky behaviour planning too!

My house needs renovating from one end to the other. I need 'tradespeople' for a lot of it, but I'm also doing mountains of it myself.

1/365 (Friday) - I didn't do anything. I was at work from 7am till late'ish (about 9pm)

2/365 (Saturday) - I ... errr... spent too much time on MN did 'regular' housework marginal amout

3/365 (Sunday) - I will drink coffee ... I'm not sure, I'll report back in later!!

On a very serious note - could everyone please have a look at this thread Carol is missing in the French Alps and spread the word, you just never know who your message may reach & how it may help. Thank you!!

Mum2Fergus Sun 03-Nov-13 09:33:45

Good point Wellies, what are we, day3? So Day3/365-and the clearing of our hall, put away winter accessories and replace with winter hmm good clean, clear out coat rack (fix those 2 dodgy pegs that have been there since I moved in!)...rest is just normal Sun stuff, laundry and shopping!

Littleredsquirrel Sun 03-Nov-13 09:50:53

Today is yuck. I have to get all the school stuff ready for the DSs after the ridiculously long half term holiday. It will of course be scattered all over the house in the least obvious places. DS1 has grown out of his trousers and so I also have to label five new pairs of trousers.

In addition I have a days work to do having done absolutely nothing on Thursday (self employed). But, I refuse to lose the house/garden momentum so early on and so I am going to fix the door handle on the hall cupboard. It came off about five weeks ago.

When the boys all arrive back from rugby I am going to get them bringing wood up to the log store near the house from the big log store at the bottom of the garden. DH is also going to be sent on a mission to buy a few bags of grit ready for this snow everyone keeps talking about.

SlightlyDampWellies Sun 03-Nov-13 10:04:36

It is so awful about Carol. I hope so much she is found soon. thanks

ChippingInLovesAGoodBang Sun 03-Nov-13 10:16:30

Me too SDW, me too brew

Mum2Fergus Sun 03-Nov-13 10:17:55

Good point squirrel, our shovels and salt are about as far away from the house as I could get them lol bring move to house today...need scrapers and de-icer for car too hmm

Morning all.

Hi chipping - we meet again! grin. You spend as much time here as me!

Right - yesterday I took down the Halloween decs and put them away.

So far this morning I have not done much! About to run vacuum over floors. Two hairy labs means it needs doing every day.

My Operation365 task is to empty out the rubbish/catch-all drawer in the kitchen. DH's task is to put a piece of wood on the top of the dresser. I put Xmas stuff up on it but it doesn't have a proper top and things were precariously balanced on random cardboard boxes last year.

If DH needs to go to B&Q I will get him to get some sturdy hooks to go under the stairs and then I can maybe sort that out too.

SlightlyDampWellies Sun 03-Nov-13 12:34:14

Hello again!

Right- the tip run has been done. I am delighted with myself. Also- I have noticed more tasks... I was feeling overwhelmed myself, so a task a day is really helping me. Thanks everyone for joining.

I have a fairly busy day tomorrow so my aim is to move the empty pots that were not tipped into a little section of the garden that will become my 'potting area'. I also have some potted trees that are not where I want them to be so I shall move them too.

Love the name 'Operation365' Cider

ChippingInLovesAGoodBang Sun 03-Nov-13 13:10:15

Cider - Yes I do blush if not more Hence the list of jobs that need doing is getting longer and longer, not shorter and shorter!!

I was intending to do lots today, but this thread HERE is keeping me glued to MN and my F5 sad

Please let them find her today.

dukester Sun 03-Nov-13 14:36:28

Have hung a picture on the outside of the down stairs loo to cover a mark on the door that's been there since we mived in over four years ago . Not much done else today really except cleaning and am just about to get ready for work

Tomorrow I intend to make a start transforming the other living room in to a very kid friendly family room / playroom it's going to take forever its full of lecture notes stock and baby stuff . I just don't know where to start

SlightlyDampWellies Sun 03-Nov-13 15:05:57

I have a junk dumping room/conservatory that I do not know where to start with either duke.

Am planning to do 15 mins a day on it for a fortnight and then see where I am at. But am not including that in my 'Operation365' challenge just yet because it would demoralise me!

SlightlyDampWellies - thank you! I though a proper name would get us going!

Chipping - it's very worrying and not looking good at this stage really. Although I pray I'm wrong. I've sent the info to a friend of mine who lives in Switzerland to pass around to her contacts.

Progress today here has been that DH did his task. We both went it B&Q and I also bought two plants for the planters outside our front door. Will plant them tomorrow.

Drawer is half done. DH distracted me with some other stuff - now have our huge ironing board out of tv room and hanging on hooks on back of boiler room door. Its an extra large one that I bought to make ironing bedding easier but I don't use it often. Normal one lives under the stairs. We also tidied th utility room a bit.

Just having a cuppa before finishing drawer and starting dinner.

gussiegrips Sun 03-Nov-13 15:34:39

can I join in?

3 kids, a menagerie and just finished extending house. still stuff to clean/tidy and I feel overwhelmed by it all.

Ikea tonight to get storage for utility dumping ground. that'd be a big help.

SlightlyDampWellies Sun 03-Nov-13 15:44:11

Welcome!!!!

I am so enthused about this challenge. Usually I am so low about everything I want to achieve and never seem to have time for- this has picked me up no end.

phlebas Sun 03-Nov-13 18:06:54

Am bloody knackered!

Saturday - got the bulbs planted! Also organised the wood pile (am currently sat in front of the fire with a cup of tea while dh does kids' baths).
Today - painted skirting board in kitchen (ran out of paint so not quite finished).

Have a couple jobs for next week - the little deck outside our back door desperately needs tidying & I have two chairs that need painting, & if I get paint I can finish the skirting board. It's my eldest's birthday next Saturday so I need to start thinking about food etc for her party.

Mum2Fergus Sun 03-Nov-13 18:09:21

Evening all! Hall washed down and units tidied, summer stuff away, winter stuff out hmm cleared out car too! Full of toys, wrappers, conkers lol...all tidy now with obligatory new air freshener, very pleased with myself til DP reminded me he's driving the carpool this week, for which he uses my car, so won't get benefit of it myself lol hayho!

Non working day for me tomorrow, have a free morning which I think will be spent clearing through my clothes, packing up summer gear and putting some bits to charity! Appt to have my will written in the afternoon confused

PublicEnemyNumeroUno Sun 03-Nov-13 18:45:54

OK I'm starting tomorrow, as long as I get the huge pile of washing put away I will be happy, its been there for almost a week blush need to sort it out. Then just a basic clean of the rest of the house as I haven't felt very well so nothing has been done to my standards for a couple of days.

Then I can focus on all the little things I've been meaning to do

gussiegrips Sun 03-Nov-13 19:14:11

Well, I didnt' get to Ikea. I DID, however, start to tackle the 10 year old girl's room - the place where sparkles and socks go to die.

Got an entire load of laundry out from under her bed and the side of the wardrobe. Had a productive discussion about how "tidying" doesn't mean "stuff it out of sight".

Not sure where she ever learned that sort of thing....

And, I have chosen a steam cleaner. Will order it tonight.

Our middley kid has ghastly asthma and allergies - so I spend 3 hours twice a week cleaning his room. It's not my idea of fun. And, it's why there are spots of just Guddle int he house - I can't quite motivate myself to do the other rooms quite so intensely. Slattern at heart.

My notion is that a steam cleaner will make it quicker - and, it seems, you can iron with it too.

Look at my good intentions - count em!

MrPricklepants Sun 03-Nov-13 20:37:14

I didn't paint my kitchen. But it has had a good Declutter and clean out. So that's a start.
smile

Preciousbane Sun 03-Nov-13 20:48:31

I am up for joining.

This weekend I have started to eat all the stuff languishing in the food cupboards and having a tidy of them. I used up a huge bar of chocolate cake covering to make Rice Krispie cakes. DH repaired our fence and also fixed a new flap to the letterbox that he bought from Amazon only 8.99 in total.

Iris445 Mon 04-Nov-13 07:21:56

I'll join, I have some jobs that just get put off. I have curtains to hang, cellar to clean, garden shed to pAint, deep clean of the house, boot room to be bottomed.

Today I will clean the windows as the sun is doing me no favours! Put the window boxes back and plant them.

LonelyGoatherd Mon 04-Nov-13 07:43:48

I'm in - I need constant lists to get me to do anything!
Sat: dh took stuff to tip
Sun: sorted baby clothes out
Today: garden furniture in shed, buy some bulbs and plant with DC (or in reality, buy a pre-made pot and stick on deck!). Need to sort understairs cupboard out too. (Can this count as 3 tasks?!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now