One House/Garden Home Improvement a Day Challenge

(391 Posts)
BloodiedGhouloshes Fri 01-Nov-13 17:32:51

Does anyone want to join?

I seem to get bogged down in the day to day grind of keeping the house running and never have time to do the stuff I want to do.

I have so many projects I want to get done... from small (washing curtains!) to large- renovating the kitchen/conservatory and the back garden into a patio.

I thought if I made it an imperative to do something each day, by the time one year is up this place will be transformed.

My place... mid-terrace Victorian. 3 Dcs. 3 dogs 2 cats. Total chaos.

Today I:

1. bought from the local charity shop 5 little cut glass tiny vases of varying heights and put roses in them and bundled them together 'artfully' on the mantelpiece.

2. strung fairy lights up our bannister.

Okay- it's two things. smile

Tomorrow I plan to repot some plants before winter.

Anyone want to join the 365 day challenge?

dukester Fri 01-Nov-13 19:24:17

Yes please this is exactly what I need to keep my focus .

dukester Fri 01-Nov-13 19:25:29

Tomorrow I need to shift the children's new beds upstairs and paint my hall x

BloodiedGhouloshes Fri 01-Nov-13 19:39:22

Right. Tomorrow. I am going to empty and clean three window sill pots. Then replant them with cyclamen... (they are winter flowering plants, is that right? I am a bit ignorant).

dukester Fri 01-Nov-13 19:41:42

Haven't a clue google it . X

phlebas Fri 01-Nov-13 21:14:14

Oh I will! Tiny Victorian terrace which we've slowly gutted & re-built over the last 10 years. 4 kids, 2 cats, 2 rabbits & 3 chickens (<- in the garden ;) )

Today - replaced the kids' manky stained plastic bathroom step stool with a nice little wooden one (which I build from bits left over from kitchen refit!).

Tomorrow, would like to rescue plant from broken planter in front garden & replant it & the packet of bulbs that have been sitting on my window sill for 6 weeks hmm

Cyclamen should flower through the winter smile

Mum2Fergus Fri 01-Nov-13 21:22:16

Ooh, I'll join! Moved to new (well, new to us) house end Feb this year. So far I've gutted DS room and replaced shower with bath and....that's all! Really struggling to get on top of things hmm

Mum2Fergus Fri 01-Nov-13 21:23:30

Will start tomorrow by getting Halloween decs down!

MrPricklepants Fri 01-Nov-13 21:25:41

I've started my 'getting house ready for Xmas' list. This weekend I'm decluttering, cleaning and painting the kitchen.

Mum2Fergus Fri 01-Nov-13 21:30:21

Ooh, MrPricklepants said the C word!!! What a thought..eek!!

MrPricklepants Fri 01-Nov-13 23:30:13

Sorry... But it's 8 weeks away. I have to Declutter ready to add new Clutter!

SlightlyDampWellies Sat 02-Nov-13 07:47:40

Good morning! Bloodied (the OP) here taking my new post-Halloween nn for a ride.

I am SO glad to see people joining!! Thank you. smile

I also have started a Xmas list..... have decided on a colour theme this year for the decs as it makes it easier- dark green, white and silver. Hence the fairy lights on the bannister. DH reminded me this morning that it is still a little way away yet!

Anyway- off to B&Q in about 30 minutes for my cyclamens... white ones. DH asked why we could not go tomorrow and I said that no, we absolutely had to go today. I am doing something else tomorrow!

Mum2Fergus Sat 02-Nov-13 10:19:10

I'm sticking with colours from last year...plum/purple and silver. Having moved house have room for a much bigger tree, but budget won't allow hmm Halloween decs all down and ready for the loft!

revolvenotevolve Sat 02-Nov-13 11:22:23

Sounds great - additionally to the boring jobs today Im going to transplant some cyclamen to a doorstep pot.
Other things on my list include
Hang up a plant properly
Wipe the staircase down
Clean woodwork
put up pictures

ooerrmissus Sat 02-Nov-13 11:28:13

Ooh ooh I want to join! Today I'm going to rehang the pictures DH did a few weeks ago because he did them really badly and it's bloody annoying me.
Tomorrow I may rehang the ones he did last year. Also really badly.

SlightlyDampWellies Sat 02-Nov-13 12:08:42

grin ooeer!

Right, cyclamens are planted and look good. And while I was doing that I really 'saw' for the first time how much crap and rubbish we have in the garden. So tomorrow I am gathering up all the empty plastic pots, broken terracotta pots and other assorted junk and it is all going to the tip.

PublicEnemyNumeroUno Sat 02-Nov-13 12:16:50

<marking place>

Will start monday

I so end this too. My problem is that I can never decide where to start. So I don't!

I'm on a getting ready from Xmas mission too. And we are about to buy a running machine so I need to get the space ready. It was a carport and we had it made into a sort of shed/garage/room. We call it the little house. It's a mess and I need to clear that. Which means selling an item of furniture and getting rid of a few other items. Garage also needs sorting and tidying.

I think I will start by making a list of what needs doing and thn start on Monday too.

Littleredsquirrel Sat 02-Nov-13 12:47:15

Hi guys can I join too?

We have a big sprawling house with soooooo many jobs that need doing. It feels overwhelming so this will be great.

DH has been sent up into the loft to finish lining the roof with silver foil blankets stuff. I started it in April blush

I am going to interline the curtains in the tv room

SlightlyDampWellies Sat 02-Nov-13 13:02:54

Brilliant!!!! What great tasks everyone has!

Littleredsquirrel Sat 02-Nov-13 14:40:20

I've just put the washing machine on a maintenance wash too. Two minute job that I never remember to do.

SlightlyDampWellies Sat 02-Nov-13 16:52:39

I am so on a roll. Have just booked a tree surgeon to come and deal with a long-dead horse chestnut tree that we have been meaning to get removed for about 2 years.

Mum2Fergus Sat 02-Nov-13 20:45:47

Evening all grin aren't we doing well!! Halloween decs away in loft...garden tidy up tomorrow if weather permits, if not, going to hit the hall! Wash down doors/woodwork/floor, tidy the 2 drawer units and the coat rack!!

RatherBeOnHoliday Sat 02-Nov-13 20:53:10

I think I need to go and get some of these cyclamen tomorrow. Do they go in pots yes? Great thread just what I need.

Mouldypineapple Sat 02-Nov-13 20:58:52

I'd love to join you, we can make each other do stuff! So , where to start?? I have so much to do but never seem to achieve much!
However today I have made a pumpkin pie AND pumpkin cakes! Took ages! Hopefully they will be nice. We are running the coffee morning at church tomorrow so I thought I'd offer them round there. Seeing as my dh keeps saying he doesn't like pumpkins! Just need to work out what to do with the other half of the pumpkin, it was a very big one my Dad grew on the allotment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now