bobbles on clothes

(15 Posts)

why do clothes bobble?
lately brand new item have come out of the washing machine bobbly. I've switched to non bio and comfort pure due to sensitive skin, is this why?
am I using the wrong cycle? I mostly wash on a 40degree cotton cycle.
or is it just cheap clothes?

napkin Thu 17-Oct-13 12:37:01

I hate this too, it drives me mad! I use persil non-bio, do you use the same brand? I thought it was my powder/liquid but tried others and it seemed worse with some. I thought it might be my new washing machine using less water. What machine do you have? I hate seeing brand new clothes ruined too sad

I know sad . I'm especially reluctant to wash all the baby clothes I've got (im due in Jan) at the moment I'm just using Tesco own non bio liquid, I brought a cheap one to see if it did help my skin, which it has. I'm well stocked up with a mixture of persil and fairy now though.
my machine is an LG around 4 yrs old maybe 3.

napkin Thu 17-Oct-13 20:07:54

I also have a Lg machine, maybe the machine is the cause... What detergent was you using before/ Was it still happening before switching to a non-bio? I always hate putting a load in to see what damage it has done once finished, it's so upsetting. I have 3 boys so costs a fortune to keep replacing things!

I don't think it was as bad before but I thought non bio was more gentle on your clothes? I hate having tatty looking clothes but can't afford to replace things constantly.

napkin Fri 18-Oct-13 09:12:04

Well I thought it was meant to be more gentle to clothes too. Bio seemed to have a worse affect on my clothes though. I found line drying helped but now it's getting cold they dry all bobbled and scratchy hanging indoors.

now you mention it I did read that line drying helps but of course not always possible. I guess tumble drying would be worse, not that I have a dryer but have been considering buying one.
are we the only ones with bobbley clothes?!

lovetodrinktea Fri 18-Oct-13 11:35:11

I have found the same problem & I too have a LG machine which is around 3-4 years old! Brand new school cardigans after 1st wash are bobbley. Use Persil Bio & Persil Colour. It is very annoying. Thought tumble drier would get rid of bobbles but it doesn't. Trying washing without fabric conditioner now but just get hard clothes!!

is it the age of the machine then? I really want to find a solution I guess its just trail and error. maybe a lower spin speed? will take longer to dry though....

bugsarella Fri 18-Oct-13 20:18:41

I think a lot of bobbling and wear does come from high spin speeds - problem then though that clothes take an age to dry. I'm not sure that detergent has a lot to do with it.

bugsarella Fri 18-Oct-13 20:20:55

For example, less than 1000 is recommended for cloth nappies. But they are then virtually dripping when they come out if the machine.

bellablot Fri 18-Oct-13 20:35:36

I second the high speed spins. I've brought mine down from 1400 to 800, clothes are 100% better, less bobbling, no holes and less fading. This helps with creasing too which means less ironing. grin

napkin Fri 18-Oct-13 22:00:47

I have tried reducing the spin but it doesn't seem to help. sad Wish there was a answer. I do wash all delicates on the hand wash cycle with a 800 spin and even they bobble!

napkin Fri 18-Oct-13 22:02:50

Do you all live in a hard water area? I do, maybe that is the reason?

I think I am in a hard water area napkin. my delicates are usually ok on the hand wash cycle. I will reduce the spin speed on my next wash and see. even if all it does is reduce creasing, I hate ironing grin .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now