Laminate floor - how to keep it looking good?

(13 Posts)
feetheart Netherlands Wed 16-Oct-13 15:14:26

We have just had new laminate put down in the hallway and I have no idea how to look after it! I just used to hoover the old stuff but hall is now bigger, laminate is lighter and I want to keep it looking as good as new - any ideas anyone?

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Wed 16-Oct-13 15:53:47

We use the method almond scented liquid with a mop, works a treat. Beware using too much though because it will make the floor like a skating rink if you do! We use it with one of those micro fibre mop things from Waitrose.

feetheart Netherlands Wed 16-Oct-13 21:08:04

Lovely, thanks. DS would love a skating rink smile

Mrspebble Wed 16-Oct-13 21:12:42

I use a flat mop after hoovering it with a spritz of lavender laminate floor spray. I ruined my last flooring with waxes etc so I am very careful with it now. A lot of people just use a mop and water only.

This is the one I use..
malonescleaning.ie/products/lavender-spray-mop-floor-cleaner/

Don't drag a heavy fridge freezer across it... hmm at DH

feetheart Netherlands Wed 16-Oct-13 21:36:02

That lavender spray sounds lovely Mrspebble Do you know if it's available in the UK (or N Ireland at a push)?

CatAmongThePigeons Wed 16-Oct-13 22:17:38

I use the vacuum then the flash 1, 2, mop as it's a fine amount of water so it shouldn't get wet or warp in case of any flaws.

Mrspebble Thu 17-Oct-13 02:35:29

I can't see it on any uk site but this loos similar.. Natural.. I will keep looking

www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001MX8EVG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

feetheart Netherlands Thu 17-Oct-13 09:30:04

Thanks Mrspebble, I'll have a go with that and get my mum to look out for the lavender one in Dunnes in the North.

Thanks everyone else for your tips. Builder is coming today to finish off the path to the front door so from tonight we should be using the new hallway properly - I may be a little neurotic precious to start with thlsmile

Mrspebble Thu 17-Oct-13 10:08:02

I gots it in dunnes so worth a look

nicole1528 Thu 24-Oct-13 11:56:34

I use asda lemon floor wipes cheap smell nice and does a great job smile

specialsubject Thu 24-Oct-13 13:23:27

vacuum it regularly as grit is its worst enemy. Good doormat and shoes-off policy will help.

wipe up spills with a damp cloth.

that's it. Never use polish unless you do want to go skating, no other products are needed.

Vivacia Thu 24-Oct-13 16:34:06

We vacuum and then either mop with boiling hot water and floor cleaner (me) or wipe with disposable wipes (my partner).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now