how to dust the damn wooden blinds?

(27 Posts)
AndThatsWhatIThinkOfYou Wed 16-Oct-13 08:44:51

anything I use doesn't work, it's like the dust is stuck to the top of the wood.... anyone got any tips?

mrselgar Wed 16-Oct-13 08:55:36

I use a wet micro fibre cloth on mine. Seems to work.

valiumredhead Wed 16-Oct-13 09:20:33

Baby wipes work a treatgrin

Essexdarling Wed 16-Oct-13 10:25:24

I take mine down and shower them off in the bath! Prob not best way but if dried properly after shouldn't damage them
Mine always come out well

flipflopper Fri 18-Oct-13 12:03:11

I use disposable duster wipes on mine, takes a long time, but I don't think theres an alternative.
MIL bought me a blind duster, but it doesn't work- you need something damp imo.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 18-Oct-13 12:06:25

I've just finished doing mine with anti-bac wipes. I agree it needs something damp.

dappledawn Fri 18-Oct-13 12:12:06

I bought a special venetian-blind cleaner thingy from (I think) Kleeneze - it works OK, especially if dampened in warm soapy water first. It's got a handle and a kind of multi-pronged head (padded prongs of course) which means you can slide it along horizontally and clean more than one of the sodding slats at a time. (Helps to make a really tedious chore very slightly quicker....)

BatPenguin Fri 18-Oct-13 12:16:03

Dawn I've got one of those too - it is a little but quicker and the microfibre padded bits come off for washing.

isitpimmsoclockyet Fri 18-Oct-13 23:29:41

Buy oak/dust coloured ones!! Then you don't have to clean them as often......it's one of my least favourite jobs! Sometimes I just use the brush thingy on the hoover and hover them, but when they really need cleaning (which is when one of the kids has dragged their hands down one of them and disturbed the dust!) then I use a microfibre cloth and literally do one slat at a time......b.o.r.i.n.g.!!!!!!!!! grrrr!!! stupid blinds, wish we'd never bought them!!!

Jergens Sat 19-Oct-13 13:58:27

Baby wipes work well.

Deux Sat 19-Oct-13 14:00:49

I hoover first with the brush thingy then use baby wipes.

I've tried many methods and baby wipes have worked the best for me. Quick too as not having to rinse and wring out a cloth.

BillyBanter Sat 19-Oct-13 14:03:24

www.handyhomeimprovements.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86

I don't have blinds and cannot vouch for this product.

I use baby wipes too, I spotted this thread and got a bit excited incase someone had an alternative to wiping them. We have a stupid amount of blinds in our house, as bloody dp doesn't like net curtains.

Mrspebble Sat 19-Oct-13 15:17:46

Mine are awful at the minute... Will get at them with baby wipes

elah11 Sat 19-Oct-13 15:24:56

I get a jug of warm water and add a small amount of detergent or multi purpose cleaner and fabric conditioner. It sounds mad but the detergent cleans and the fabric conditioner gives a nice smell and reduces dust collection!

Henny2696 Sat 19-Oct-13 17:13:55

I use the brush attachment on my vacuum cleaner, close the blinds then swoosh it from side to side.

catinboots Sat 19-Oct-13 17:19:04

Hoover and that funny little brush attachment that comes with it and is discarded at the back of a cupboard.

My cleaner taught me this recently. It has been revolutionary. You can do book cases and fireplaces with it too!! grin

ProfondoRosso Sat 19-Oct-13 17:25:33

I spray with furniture polish then put an old (but clean grin) sock over my hand to wipe them. It's a crap, laborious job, but it gets them done.

Deux Sat 19-Oct-13 17:31:00

Talk of fabric conditioner has reminded me. I read somewhere that rubbing a tumble dryer softening sheet over dust prone surfaces reduces the dust.

Haven't tried it myself yet. May try ellah,s suggestion.

SPBisResisting Sat 19-Oct-13 18:32:45

so there's no magic soliution? sad
We have the damn things all over the house

BillyBanter Sat 19-Oct-13 19:36:56

Now how would we clean something like this?!

http://media.bhs.co.uk/wcsstore/BHSUK/images/catalog/9718461133_large.jpg

I have this challenge ahead of me soon. sad confused

BillyBanter Sat 19-Oct-13 19:37:06
valiumredhead Sat 19-Oct-13 20:00:42

Billy, there's a spray from Lakeland, you put a towel underneath and blast the light fixture with it and it'll drip onto the towel. I think it's called chandelier spray.

BillyBanter Sat 19-Oct-13 20:46:48

ooh thank you! smile

BillyBanter Sat 19-Oct-13 20:48:13

oh, looking at it it might not be suitable for the materials. hm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now