tips for handwashing woollens (other than using the washing machine for it!!!)

(8 Posts)
yummyburger Fri 11-Oct-13 14:47:47

I used to do my handwashing in the handwashing or woollens cycle of my washing machine but the last time I did this my jumpers shrank so I think I am now going to do it the old-fashioned way.

however, I absolutely HATE handwashing. it seems to take me ages.

just wondered if there were any shortcuts?

I tend to do it in a washing up bowl - put some handwash or woolens wash in and let 2-3 jumpers soak in the bowl for about 20 mins and then try and work the water / soap in and then rinse. this sounds quick but I seem to find that that when have 10+ jumpers it takes a good hour plus.

am wondering about do a "job Lot" in the bath.

Edithmark Fri 11-Oct-13 23:13:24

Ooh hand washing jumpers is my favourite task for putting off work...I suddenly find a few jumpers that need a wash and there's my afternoon gone.

If I really need to wash jumpers and not just to waste time, then run a bowl of Luke warm water, add fabric softener only and them only a little,or the wool goes slimy, push jumpers through the water and back, a 'rolling pastry' type movement for 2 or 3 minutes, then drain, and squash as much water out as you can, but don't wring or it all stretches. Then put each jumper on a big towel at one end, that's than in the middle. Fold end bit of towel,on top of the jumper, then roll whole thing into a big sausage shape, to blot the jumper. Leave like this for about 20-30 mins whilst you drink tea, go on MN, read trashy novel etc, then unroll jumper and dry flat on an airer.

This method is quicker as no soap means no rinsing which is the time consuming bit. IMHO its the warm water being pushed through the fibres that gets wool clean rather than detergent which makes it sticky and go like felt if you're not careful, or don't rinse endlessly.

yummyburger Sat 12-Oct-13 14:35:38

ok thanks for the tips Edithmark. I will try and make myself do my jumpers tomorrow. glad its not just me who puts it off!

I should say that this year is meant to be a bad year for moths so definitely worth trying not to have dirty things lying around as the dirt definitely attracts the moths. I must confess to having had some dirty jumpers in my woolens bag for 2 months now!! I have been storing the dirty clothes tho with anti-moth sachets just in case.

Mintyy Sat 12-Oct-13 14:38:03

I hand wash some of my delicate jumpers (I use a little woolite) but rinse them in the machine and put them on the slowest spin. I never do less than 3 or 4 at a time so don't feel too guilty about the water.

Gatekeeper Sun 13-Oct-13 11:42:55

I hand wash my jumpers with soap flakes and then rinse them in the washing machine with a 800 spin. Easy and doesn't take long

yummyburger Sun 13-Oct-13 13:28:54

probably a stupid question, but I assume that the water from the rinse cycle of the washing machine is cold (i.e. won't shrink the jumpers).

I am a bit suspicious of my washing machine as when I used the wool wash on cold, it still shrunk the woolens!

I will at the very least use the spin cycle of the washing machine, just not sure about the rinse cycle.

Mintyy Sun 13-Oct-13 20:45:46

Yes, the rinse cycle will be with cold water!

yummyburger Mon 14-Oct-13 09:25:23

ok cool (no pun intended) - will use the rinse cycle as that will save a lot of effort!

got quite a few jumpers done yesterday, so hopefully I will soon have some jumpers to wear again!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now