Lubricating oil on silk curtains - please help

(12 Posts)
candybarfallingstar Thu 10-Oct-13 21:13:26

My curtains have been hanging on an old metal track which seems to have had oil/grease on to lubricate the hooks running. There is some marked on the silk. Any tips how how to clean?
Dry cleaning would be too expensive as they are absolutely massive.
We used to have something called Dab-it-off, which was like a solvent based solution you rubbed on, but I think it's banned now.

PigletJohn Fri 11-Oct-13 13:05:10

you could try putting them between two clean white absorbent cloths and dabbing with white spirit. Do a test area first. Use plastic gloves, not rubber, and ventilate the rom very well. It is flammable. Wet the cloths with water when you have finished, and put them outside.

I think dabitoff and thawpit used to be carbon tetrachloride, something undesirable about the fumes I think.

valiumredhead Fri 11-Oct-13 16:42:44

I remember dab it off I think it was just alcohol.

Sprinkle talc on the mark and leave out and brush it off?

BuzzardBirdBloodBath Fri 11-Oct-13 16:44:31

I bought some fantastic dry cleaning spray off amazon to remove some oily marks from my curtains. Will see if I can find make for you...

BuzzardBirdBloodBath Fri 11-Oct-13 16:44:59

K2r spray. It worked.

candybarfallingstar Fri 11-Oct-13 19:05:31

Thank you. I've ordered the k2. I think dabitoff was a solvent, I remember feeling woozy whenever mum got it out.

Darn, I wanted this to be about sexual gymnastics.

Really really did....

BuzzardBirdBloodBath Fri 11-Oct-13 20:32:54

Arf Chaos

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now