House stinks of fish. Party in 36 hours!

(13 Posts)
mosaica Thu 10-Oct-13 16:41:25

What can i do- it will still smell then. Can't believe dh thought the fish was fit for cooking! Please What works?

ceres Thu 10-Oct-13 16:52:18

you need white vinegar.

put little dishes of white vinegar in each room overnight.

if the kitchen is particularly stinky then heat some white vinegar and water in a pan on the hob.

yes, your house will smell like a chippy. but I promise the effect is only temporary - open the windows tomorrow and the vinegar smell will disappear taking the fishy odour with it.

you can leave the dishes of vinegar out of you like - I usually have a couple of ramekins hidden away on bookshelves (we have a dog and I am paranoid about the house smelling doggy!) and the house doesn't smell of vinegar. I sometimes notice a faint vinegar odour but this is usually when the vinegar needs changing - it obviously gets stronger smelling as the liquid evaporates.

mosaica Thu 10-Oct-13 21:42:52

I've used malt vinegar as that's all I've got in the house. Will it work?

SinisterSal Thu 10-Oct-13 21:47:42

Open dishes of bicarb might work too if you have some.

is it in the soft furnishings? If not you will be be fine I would think, if so probably a bit more work!

I'd leave the kitchen window open even if just a crack overnight, if possible. Will be a big difference in the morning

mousmous Thu 10-Oct-13 21:55:48

yes to vinegar. malt is fine. (white is just better to use for cleaning, as it doesn't stain)

do you have curtains? if yes, take them down and wash them.
put bio washing powder on carpets over night and hoover off tomorrow morning.
and ventilation ventilation ventilation. ideally open all windows as wide as possible for 5 min a few times a day. use door stoppers to keep doors from slamming.

LowLevelWhinging Thu 10-Oct-13 22:01:21

is it definitely from cooking?

we had a a fish smell that turned out to be from a dodgey lamp. If you google electrics and fish smell you'll see lots of examples.

If not from electrics, then it'll be well gone in 36hrs. Just cook a curry or something! wink

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 10-Oct-13 22:07:47

Say it's your knickers as you have been awaiting them so eagerly and throw the keys into a bowl. Sorted.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 10-Oct-13 23:28:34

Sorryblush I thought it was in Chat!

PigletJohn Fri 11-Oct-13 12:41:17

open the windows, light kitchen candles.

valiumredhead Fri 11-Oct-13 16:46:16

I agree, open all windows for ten minutes. Put some cinnamon in a loose tin foil parcel and cook for 20 mins.

WholeLottaRosie Fri 11-Oct-13 21:13:09

Zoflora disinfectant, a few drops in a dish of warm water, is usually pretty good at hiding cooking smells.

mosaica Sat 12-Oct-13 22:24:03

Thank you all. I've tried most of the suggestions here in quick succession and I'm pleased to report that they worked! I first used vinegar, then bicarbonate soda and finally did the cinnamon thing. Thanks again!

valiumredhead Sun 13-Oct-13 17:31:42

I've just realised I didn't tell you to mash the cinnamon up in butter-oops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now