Does anyone have heated drying rack?

(47 Posts)
hyperspacebug Wed 09-Oct-13 11:45:08

We've moved into one of those period houses and I'm sick of things taking forever to dry after washing, with things still damp on day 2 (damp -> mildew...ewww).

I'm betting behind laundry now and started to use disposable nappies sad Buying drier is not an option right now as we live in rented without space for drier.

Is anyone raving about heated drying rack from Lakeland? Worth the cost?

Any other ideas? sad dehumifidier?

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 16-Oct-13 23:57:27

...and now I have bloody Lakeland ads appearing on every sodding page I open!!

grin

Elizabeth22 Wed 16-Oct-13 17:26:46

We have the three tiered one from Lakeland and use a timer plug with it. So far we haven't had to use a dehumidifier and haven't noticed any damp.

You do have to lay things out flat and spread out rather than bunched up as you might do on a radiator - it dries where it is in contact with. I also sometimes turn things over on it and put a big sheet over it.

The downside is it that it's very bulky!

Does anyone know where you can get a cover for it rather than using a sheet?

MrsDeVere Mon 14-Oct-13 22:36:27

Its a bloody theiving bastard BeCool

I look at it like this angry and hmm every day.

I won't even clean it. DH has to do that.

That'll bloody teach him.

BeCool Netherlands Mon 14-Oct-13 22:19:15

grin At mrsdv's criminal wet room!

bigTillyMint Mon 14-Oct-13 16:50:38

BeCool, I agree - just spoken to a lovely customer services lady who said I could return it to a shop without the packaging, so if DH is definite he doesn't like it, then I guess we'll do thatsadangry

TBF, it does take up quite a bit of space.

BeCool Netherlands Mon 14-Oct-13 16:38:02

I guess it depends what your alternatives are YourHand.

We live in a tiny space, so I had dreams of washing at night, hanging it up on heated rack and putting it away in the morning. But it didn;t work like that as it doesn't dry everything overnight (I can't throw sheet over it as I have laminate flooring which would get ruined by moisture if I did that).

So it was no better than my non-electric drying rack, which also drys things in 24 hours but has many advantages:
- it is free
- I can move it to hall or bath or wherever as and win I need to
- it takes up less floor space
- it holds at least as much washing

comewinewithmoi Mon 14-Oct-13 16:08:56

Jury's out on mine at the moment.

Don't understand why some people are so happy and others have gotten rid or are sending back. confused

I'd like to gain the kitchen space my drier takes up but don't know if I'd want to part with it for the airer, as I like the drier for big bath sheets and bedding.

MrsDeVere Mon 14-Oct-13 15:48:26

Don't be thlenvy beCool

Its a horrible, massive room and I hate it. I had some input into the design at the beginning then DH decided he knew best.

He didn't. It looks horrid.

It stole two feet off my dining room too. Bloody thing.

BeCool Netherlands Mon 14-Oct-13 15:40:00

thlenvy re MrsV's wetroom

BeCool Netherlands Mon 14-Oct-13 15:38:50

I would add Lakeland have the best customer service EVER! I've used mine for a week and they are taking it back no questions asked, in fact they have already refunded me even though they haven't collected it yet - so if you are thinking of it give it a go.

no mention was made of the wine voucher.

bigTillyMint Sun 13-Oct-13 08:38:26

I have just bought one and it dried the washing (admittedly mostly sports stuff) in 3 hours and was heavily loaded! I am going to get one of those plugs, brownsauce as it looks perfect for me! I have put it up in our kitchen which can get chilly in the winter, so hopefully it might be some extra warmth if it is on?!

About the wine voucher. When/how does it arrive?

MrsDeVere Sat 12-Oct-13 22:22:51

BeCool that is interesting.
We use ours in our massive Wet Room. It was put in as an adaptation for DH but its far too big and I hate it

For ages it was a bit musty and I thought it smelt.

Now we use the drying rack in there and as well as drying things it keeps the damp down in the room. Result!

Its too big to be used in any of the other rooms though. Plus the Wet Room has special flooring so we don't have to worry about that.

I suspect I wouldn't be as fond of it if I had to have it up in my kitchen all day.

BeCool Netherlands Sat 12-Oct-13 21:50:50

I'm returning mine to Lakeland on Monday - it is quite good but I can't cover it with a sheet as I have wooden floors (and it forces too much moisture downwards and will ruin your flooring accruing the the manufacturers) - but it doesn't actually get things properly dry any faster than my old non-electric rack unless I leave it on alight AND all day - which is way to expensive. After 12 hours it is mostly dry but still with large damp patches - I need to leave it hanging all day too, which even without being turned on gets a load dry in 24 hours - same as my non-electric rack. It is also much bigger than my non-electric rack which holds at least the same amount of washing.

Disappointed. But really thankful for the Lakeland return policy.

I'm doing a last chance comparative experiment right now, with washing on both racks to compare drying speeds. Rock on it's Saturday night and I am actually comparing washing drying!!

OP in your situation though I would think it would be a godsend. Though I have heard others on here say they have great results with drying rack and dehumidifier.

<Wonders if I have to return the wine voucher too???>

comewinewithmoi Sat 12-Oct-13 13:18:52

Put washing on it late last night, mostly dry with some damp spots, sheet didn't cover completely though.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 12-Oct-13 11:56:03

Agree with Elsie and others... The lakeland one is wonderful, but you do have to cover is up with a sheet (or you can buy a cover if you want) to contain the heat while losing the moisture. It really is very safe. We've had ours for best part of two years, and I wouldn't part with it.

My top tip, if you're the sort of person who is likely to forget to switch it off, invest in one of these: www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Energy-Saving-Socket-Outlet/dp/B003WK62XE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

We set it to go on for 6 hours (less if we've part dried it outside) as we're going to bed or going to work, and it switches itself off, but the washing is dry by the time we get back. If its covered up, washing actually continues drying a while in the residual heat after you switch it off.

About the damp/cold house thing. It's a million times better than drying on radiators all over the place, simply because its contained in one room. We have the windows vented, door shut, in the spare room. Because it dries quicker than regular airers, you reduce the need for perpetual ventilation. And it does partially compensate for that by giving out a bit of heat to the room.

comewinewithmoi Fri 11-Oct-13 19:11:39

Mines arrived, up and running.

LittleMissWise Fri 11-Oct-13 19:09:33

Thanks, I've ordered one. smile

ClaudiaWinklepants Thu 10-Oct-13 22:26:35

Love mine. Do a wash in evening, bung on with large sheet over, and leave overnight. In the morning it's all dry and done, ready to iron and put away. I only tumble underwear and sheets now due to sizes.

Patchouli Thu 10-Oct-13 22:19:21

They don't seem like the sort of thing I'd be happy to leave on while out or asleep.

namehopping Thu 10-Oct-13 22:13:43

I dry a whole load of towels Etc on it over night

I can get two loads of washing on it at once - and it's fab for laying things flat on it

And it folds up and can live behind the door in the utility room when not in use.

Plus it makes the room nice and warm - seriously it's fab

LittleMissWise Thu 10-Oct-13 20:29:16

I keep looking at them and am so tempted. We have a dryer but so many of the kids clothes can't go in, their sports kit can't go in and jeans shrink in it.

Can you dry a whole load of washing at once?

elsie07 Thu 10-Oct-13 20:28:48

I have one and whilst I think it's great I think you do have to cover it with a sheet or similar in order for it to dry efficiently, maybe they should make that clear when you buy it. Without the cover the clothes take a long time to dry in my experience. However I've not noticed problems with condensation and also BIG plus no washing hanging all over radiators.

addictedtolatte Thu 10-Oct-13 20:24:17

I have one there fantastic. I use the sheet thrown over. And I also use dehumidifier once a week to clear damp out the air. Mine is in kitchen so would be using a dehumidifier anyway.

MissMarplesBloomers Thu 10-Oct-13 20:06:48

I think so Olivo they use very little power & everyone here seems to quite safely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now