how can i clean washing machine seal?

(4 Posts)
OwlinaTree Tue 08-Oct-13 22:34:40

Have inherited a washing machine when we moved house. The door seal is really grotty, the underneath bit looks mouldy basically. I've fine a wash with washing machine cleaner but it doesn'tseem to have made a difference. Do I need to replace it or does anyone know how to clean it?

delasi Tue 08-Oct-13 23:38:24

Do a hot wash (60 or 95? As per your machine) with soda crystals in the drum. A bit of bio powder can also be used, as it helps to break down grime.

The seal likely needs bleaching, it can take a while to clean fully as it might have a build up of mould. I inherited something similar here and if it doesn't all shift immediately, give it time. After doing hot washes with bio powder etc on several occasions, it's now all gleaming. Makes sure to mop up any excess water left in the seal after a wash and leave the machine door open to allow it to dry properly.

OwlinaTree Wed 09-Oct-13 07:43:51

Thanks delasi will give it a go this weekend.

delasi Wed 09-Oct-13 08:14:44

Oh, and clean out the lint filter and remove the drawer and clean iy also if you haven't already.

You can also use a bit of bicarb and vinegar in the seal to help with the grime. Basically throw everything at it and it gets better! If you're in a hard water area then Kilrok (sp?) descaler is great, also just goes into the drum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now