Oven is broken - do I need to replace or can it be fixed???

(6 Posts)
JellyQuivvers Tue 08-Oct-13 15:12:13

My (built-in) electric fan oven isn't working, grill seems to be absolutely fine, but when I put the fan assisted oven thingy on - nothing sad. Anyone know if this is a fixable problem (v skint at the moment, so really, really hoping this might be the case) or not?? It's about 6 years old.........

DizziesMum Tue 08-Oct-13 16:24:30

I've had to replace the heater element on a previous Neff oven about three times. A lot cheaper than replacing the oven although I know a friendly electrician! I got the part from a local shop which just deals with spare parts rather than from Neff.

JellyQuivvers Tue 08-Oct-13 16:44:40

Good advice......I might check with my local friendly hardware store, they're usually quite helpful - thanks smile

NannyR Tue 08-Oct-13 22:30:13

Changing the element is a fairly easy job. I think my new one cost around £15 and took me about twenty minutes to fit. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

exexpat Tue 08-Oct-13 22:33:13

If you can hear the fan but the oven isn't heating up then yes, it probably just means the heating element is broken.

When mine did that, I checked in the manual which one I needed for my oven & ordered it online (not expensive), but then got an oven technician out to check that was the only thing wrong and to instal the element for me - that way I only paid one call-out fee, rather than getting him round to tell me that the element was broken and he'd have to order one, and come back in a few days to fix it.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Sat 12-Oct-13 09:16:04

I'm with NannyR, sounds like the element has gone.

I replaced my own (always skint grin), purchased the part from e bay, 20 quid including postage, watched a video on youtube, done in half an hour.

Make sure you switch off the electricity at the mains first. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now