How do you clean your hoovers?

(18 Posts)
Goinggreytoosoon Mon 07-Oct-13 10:53:05

Aside from emptying it, how and what do i use to clean the filters and attachments?

another hoover? wink

seriously, no idea. I don't clean mine (apart from changing the filters when I open a new box of bags)

Vivacia Mon 07-Oct-13 11:03:54

I just use soapy water with a very well-wrung cloth as it's the drying of the filters that I find takes ages.

TheGirlFromIpanema Mon 07-Oct-13 11:16:02

I am usually a bit if a slattern but I love cleaning the vacuum out. Its the satisfaction of seeing something go from really mucky to properly clean I think [sad twat smiley]

I bash and bang the filter on the sides of the wheelie bin for aaaaages to get rid of most of the dust and then I wash the filter and all the removable bits in a hot soapy water.

Best bit is it takes days for it all to dry properly which means I can't do any hoovering at all for days wink grin

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Oct-13 11:40:58

Do you know, I just thought about the filters on my Sebo last week. Have had it for 4 years, never touched them. They were a bit grotty, but knocking them didn't get it all off and I was scared to wash them in case I wrecked them, so I just ordered new ones for £12. blush

Can you wash them, then?

I have other strengths, BTW, just not housekeeping. grin

PigletJohn Mon 07-Oct-13 12:21:13

when the new ones arrive, wash the old ones and keep then as spares. Then you will have them ready to swap next time and no need to have a day off. You can put a drop of Chanel or lavender on the filter if you want.

I swap the filters with every bag change, and wipe the inside with a damp sponge and WUL.

Miele bags (and many other makes) come with one filter per box of bags, so it is easy to build up a supply, and they wash out easily in warm water with WUL.

If you have a vac with three filters, you can buy a spare of any that do not come with the bags. If yours has a motor filter that is a rectangular flat piece of non-woven plastic fibre, you can buy it by the A4 sheet and cut your own.

the new synthetic bags (white or silver, not brown paper) are more efficient at catching the dust. Get bags with a rubber seal round the hole, they prevent dust escaping into the machine when in use.

ScaryMartian Mon 07-Oct-13 12:29:50

You have to clean hoovers...?!

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Oct-13 12:58:10

PigletJohn do you actually know everything? How do you know so much about all this stuff?

and are you a man or a woman? don't want to offend but interested

YoureBeingADick Mon 07-Oct-13 13:01:18

I think he does building!

He is my diy hero grin

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Oct-13 13:05:58

Do builders generally get drawn into conversations about filters on hoovers? And adding Chanel? Maybe they do!

I'm just amazed at the breadth and depth of his knowledge.

If you are a builder, Piglet, then would you like some brew and a biscuit while I fish my old hoover filter out of the rubbish?

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Oct-13 13:06:37

Oh duh, you meant me! Not he does building. Sorry.

YoureBeingADick Mon 07-Oct-13 13:09:42

grin

Yep i meant you

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Oct-13 13:18:36

blush

ivykaty44 Mon 07-Oct-13 13:19:02

I have another filter for mine so can hoover the filter and use a screw driver to get between the slots and get the dust build up released. I wash out the container with hot soapy water and the two smaller filters wash under the tap.

I never have a last hoover for using as a spare as they go bust - thats why I get a new hoover smile

CMP69 Mon 07-Oct-13 14:55:19

Who knew you need to clean hoovers shock
can any of you domestic gods/goddesses enlighten me on the washing of a Dyson

I cleaned my Dyson baby for the first time a few months ago and it was no better. So we bought an amazing awesome Miele which I will clean regularly, I pinky swear.

When I think of cleaning vacuums I always think of Monica from Friends [total saddo emoticon]

YoureBeingADick Mon 07-Oct-13 15:18:56

Me too oh fuck grin

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now