Have I discovered the holy grail?

(21 Posts)
PatoBanton Mon 07-Oct-13 15:30:59

I am used to the stuff as I worked in a bike workshop for a while, and am generally a petrol head but I'd be cautious about using it for kitchen equipment due to the toxicity.

I imagine if you rinse it well it shouldn't be a major issue but please do be careful - also it looks like jelly so watch your children with it.

Oh yes, my dad is a mechanic and uses it. I'd forgotten about it, there's a pink version too.

Choccybaby Mon 07-Oct-13 09:12:37

It's also great for getting grease stains out of clothes. Just rub a little on the stain then shove in the washing machine and wash as normal.

FreshWest Sun 06-Oct-13 21:50:00

I recently saw some in Home Bargains. They keep them with the car stuff and not the cleaning stuff in my local one. Might have to go back and get a tub now!
They also had Swarfega wipes which I've bought as a joke Christmas present for dh, as we always jokingly refer to baby wipes as Swarfega wipes as they seem to clean up anything. (Including bike oil which dh uses them for!)

MrsDeVere Sun 06-Oct-13 20:29:04

My dad was a plasterer so was always covered in pink dust.
We had huge tubs of the stuff around the house smile

Mandy2003 Sun 06-Oct-13 20:25:23

Still green, yes, looks like lime jello.

Didn't want to buy the one with bits in (afraid of eating any accidentally left behind on rinsing)

Smells of diesel!

My problem was really oxidised grease (sticky) - oven shelves may be baked on (carbonised). Haven't tried Swarfega for this problem yet, up till now I have liked Oven Pride (with the special bag) for this problem.

ICameOnTheJitney Sun 06-Oct-13 20:23:59

O I was telling DH about Swarfega the other day! His hands were really bad after work...and I said that builders used it...he's not from the UK and hadn't heard of it! I'm getting some! My grill pans are....well...you know.

RandomMess Sun 06-Oct-13 20:19:43

shock

Considers rummaging around in the cupboard under the sink to get said swarfega out and clean oven trays.

Decides to leave it to try another day!

Badvoc Sun 06-Oct-13 20:17:44

Can you clean oven shelves with it?
Please say yes before I give up and just buy new ones

peggyblackett Sun 06-Oct-13 20:15:47

I can remember the smell very clearly!

ArtisanLentilWeaver Sun 06-Oct-13 20:13:48

I think you get Swarfega with bits in it too? For extra scourage.

dandydorset Sun 06-Oct-13 20:11:43

used to be a strange green colour,not sure now,very effective though

MissBetseyTrotwood Sun 06-Oct-13 20:05:21

What is this SWARFEGA? How am I 36 and never heard of it?

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-13 20:02:41

Thanks - will definitely give it a try smile

dandydorset Sun 06-Oct-13 19:58:18

ah memories

my dad was a roofer and always had bichimon (no idea the spelling) on his hands,every night he used this

potent stuff,i can still remember the smell

Mandy2003 Sun 06-Oct-13 19:35:11

I got mine on eBay - big tub for £2.50 (plus £2.50 postage), I expect it's a reasonable price in Halfords.

PottyLotty Sun 06-Oct-13 19:29:03

My Dad used to use that for everything grin. I think you can still buy it in B&Q or Homebase. Im sure you will be able to get it online too.

Mumbledore Sun 06-Oct-13 19:03:55

The slime on her hands - we didn't de-slime the actual slugs just to clarify smile

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-13 19:03:40

Oooh - I've heard of Swarfega, but never actually seen it - I was beginning to think it was a bit like unicorns. Where do you buy it?

Mumbledore Sun 06-Oct-13 19:02:04

My Dad loves that stuff! I remember my sister collecting slugs in the garden one afternoon when she was little and that was the only thing that worked on the slime!

Mandy2003 Sun 06-Oct-13 18:54:03

I am talking about stubbornly oxidised (sticky, greasy, baked on) pans here. I've had a bit of success with vinegar and bicarb, but I was musing the other day about really strong detergents. Then it struck me: SWARFEGA!! I bought a tub, dipped my washing up brush in it and scrubbed out a griddle pan. Even the top edge that I'd virtually given up on came clean straight away! I was concerned about the smell of Swarfega remaining behind, but a good wash with Fairy and rinse worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now