Wood floor cleaning

(25 Posts)
fiorentina Sun 06-Oct-13 18:46:39

We are about to move to a new house with wooden floors, both sealed and unsealed. Can I ask for recommendations for what to clean them with please? I have a steam mop for the tiled areas but any recommendations for the wood gratefully received. Thank you

PottyLotty Sun 06-Oct-13 19:25:56

I just use a mop (very well rinsed) and cif cleaner for wood floors. You should be able to find it in the supermarket.

fiorentina Sun 06-Oct-13 22:08:58

Thanks. I will just give that a go then.

SewCrafty Sun 06-Oct-13 22:25:22

I like Ecover Floor Soap it has Linseed Oil in it, for my 1970's parquet floors.

fiorentina Mon 07-Oct-13 10:33:37

I saw that online so will investigate, thanks.

valiumredhead Mon 07-Oct-13 14:34:42

Nothing but a wrung out e cloth mop as advised by the chippy who laid it.

METHOD ALL THE WAY I only discovered it after a recommendation on here the other week. It is relatively expensive but is lasting, brings the floors up so beautifully and smells utterly luscious.

You squirt it straight on and use a mop rung out well with warm water to clean it.

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Oct-13 16:09:58

I love the smell of Method but my son is allergic to nuts...would it harm him?

valiumredhead Mon 07-Oct-13 16:34:23

Building-mine too!!

Tried to search, but patchy information, seems that they use synthetic nut oils to avoid allergens, but presumably these are synthesised from something?

valiumredhead Mon 07-Oct-13 17:16:02

Hmmmm I might email them actually as I quite fancy trying it.

valiumredhead Mon 07-Oct-13 19:57:08

I've emailed them...

Oooh, your life could be about to change. I no longer loathe mopping as the smell is heavenly.

Mintyy Mon 07-Oct-13 19:59:41

I like the Cif one, it is orange, and smells nice.

Can't bring myself to pay Method prices for cleaning products that simply get rinsed away. Feel it is one of those cons.

valiumredhead Wed 09-Oct-13 17:19:45

Got a reply-no nuts in any if the method products! Hooray, I'm buying some tomorrowgrin

valiumredhead Wed 09-Oct-13 18:50:55

Is it expensive then?

valiumredhead Thu 10-Oct-13 14:09:54

Just bought and used it....

Omg it is amazing stuff and so worth the 4 quid I paid for it in tesco. The flooring is 6 years old and looks great still but needed a little pick me up. This stuff smells gorgeous, won't kill my dswink and leaves the floor shiny with no streaks. Far superior imo to cif which I've used a couple of times.

I might be tempted to do it a bit more nowwink

buildingmycorestrength Thu 10-Oct-13 14:25:41

Valium thank you for this. Did they reassure you about the nut thing then?

We have original (at least v old) floorboards and I don't know what finish they have. I suspect a patina of age and grime rather than wax. Probably not varnish. Have not done anything proper for them in five years...time for waxing?

valiumredhead Thu 10-Oct-13 14:46:15

I don't know about waxing as ours are sealed oak, with a Wax sheen already, engineered?

Yes, method emailed back and they said no nuts in any if their products for exactly this reason. It smells GORGEOUS! I used a damp e cloth mop and a small squirt of it directly on the floor-comes up a treat!

buildingmycorestrength Thu 10-Oct-13 14:49:23

Thank you so much! thanks thanks thanks Have always loved the smell. smile

valiumredhead Thu 10-Oct-13 15:22:04

It's not over powering either just leaves a nice scentsmile

EastwickWitch Thu 10-Oct-13 18:36:46

Can you use it on unsealed floors too? We have oak planks that I'm scared to wet. They are filthy & very dusty blush

valiumredhead Thu 10-Oct-13 18:43:15

I don't know, could you test a bit?

EastwickWitch Thu 10-Oct-13 18:58:05

I definitely could, but how will I know if it's unsuitable?

valiumredhead Thu 10-Oct-13 19:06:54

Dunno, if it looks ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now