At what point do I just give up on ebay and charity shop all this stuff? I cannot bear the clutter but really need the cash!

(49 Posts)
Jemster Wed 02-Oct-13 18:19:25

Hi
I'm getting myself really stressed out. Trying to declutter as we have far too much stuff and loft is full to bursting. We are going through a very difficult time financially and have some debts to clear.
My thought was to put literally everything I can on ebay but it's just not selling. If it does sell I am making a pittance i.e just sold baby bath for 99p.
I tried an NCT nearly new sale and only sold half the stuff so the rest is now cluttering up my living room.

I just can't bear the thought of charity shopping it when I once bought all this stuff and want to recoup some iof that money. But the time involved trying to sell it and then getting peanuts for it is making me question all of this.

I work 5 half days too and even when I do sell on ebay it's a struggle to get to the post office.

Please give me some advice. I have a permanent headache from worrying about money and feeling guilty for chucking stuff out but the clutter is doing my head in! Thank you

whatsonyourplate Sat 18-Oct-14 13:35:20

Jemster, if it's a closed group only group members will see posts, if it's an open group it might come up on your friend's news feed. It should say at the top of the group if it's an open or closed group.

MTWTFSS Sat 18-Oct-14 12:24:59

Remember books can be traded in on amazon for vouchers :D

FloatingPorpoise Sat 18-Oct-14 11:08:32

I'd say Facebook pages too. Do you have a camera on your phone? It takes seconds to post if you do.

Jemster Sat 18-Oct-14 11:05:56

I'd like to try Facebook selling so have joined a local group. If I put something on to sell will all my friends be able to see the post of what I'm selling, so will it pop up on their facebook feed?

Biscoff Sat 18-Oct-14 10:58:36

Wow! Interesting about ebay.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Sat 18-Oct-14 09:30:30

When eBay started it was the perfect place for individuals to buy and sell their second hand bits and pieces to each other. Fees were reasonable and it was accepted that the buyer paid for the item to be posted to them.

But then it got too big and now only wants to earn massive fees from bulk sellers selling large numbers of new items to the public, while pretending that postage is free, a bit like Amazon.

It's rarely worth it for individuals these days unless dealing in collectables. I've been doing the Marie Kondo thing and I've got a small pile of things that I might ebay, but 95% of things that are not total junk are going to the charity shops, food bank etc.

whatsonyourplate Sat 18-Oct-14 09:12:56

For Facebook groups try searching for yourtown sell/ selling/ sale/ Carboot/ preloved. You usually have to request to join. Once you are on that group you will probably get suggestions of other similar groups to join. Have a look to see which group is most active. Once you've listed your items keep bumping your post every day or few days so more people get a chance to see it.

Appervine Wed 15-Oct-14 18:52:00

I was going to say Facebook pages too. I've shifted loads of stuff that way. Ours is also a swapping page so you can exchange smaller things for other bits and bobs that you need - often people ask for fruit or chocolate or packed lunch snacks etc. Added bonus that they come to you so you don't have to queue at the post office.

WerkSupp Wed 15-Oct-14 17:01:20

Another vote for FB selling pages. So much less hassle.

SacreBlue Wed 15-Oct-14 16:54:59

When I was on benefits I was so appreciative of people who had donated to St Vincent De Paul's - I had just moved house and my son was moving from cot to bed and they were able to help me out thanks to donations from the public.

Later I was able to pass on the bed, and many of his early years toys & books, to a charity helping asylum seekers.

Ebay, car boot & gumtree can help you get some money back if you really want or need it, do figure in the time it's going to take you though.

I found it easier to give things away as, once I was earning more, having more space was more important than the money, with the added bonus of being able to help out people who, like I had been, were maybe struggling a bit.

Having struggled myself I know the feeling of parting with things you have paid money for, and seemingly getting nothing in return by giving them away, but regardless of scare stories of scammers, most people are very appreciative of goodwill gestures.

I will never know who donated that single bed to SVP, but I was so grateful for it I can't even tell you.

BinarySolo Wed 15-Oct-14 16:42:37

Interesting about eBay. I've found it rubbish lately for buying and selling. Don't seem to get much for items but at the same time I don't think you quite get the same bargains as before.

Someone must be doing ok, but it's not me!

erin99 Wed 15-Oct-14 16:29:11

Stuff like furniture has sold well on eBay for me lately, as collection only and on BIN rather than auction. I'd do that with anything worth £5 or more, and car boot the rest.

EarSlaps Wed 15-Oct-14 16:17:39

Another vote for Facebook groups. I've sold stuff on ours (baby things and clothes after I lost weight) and given it away (saves the trip to the tip and gets goodwill locally). I've also given things away to shelters etc.

I really can't be bothered to eBay after all the stories of dodgy buyers disputing things and getting the goods for nothing.

Supertonic Wed 15-Oct-14 14:04:00

Or Freecycle? They have local pages too

But have you actually tried donating to charity shops? I can understand that they want good stuff which they can sell but they are so picky its not true. I'm clearing my parents house and sorting out stuff that can be sold on, the rest is going to the tip. Some of its pretty good stuff, unused and in its original packaging. Lots of hard back, good condition books. I have a room ful now. I've washed & cleaned the clothing - good quality, barely worn designer shirts and suits - yet 2 charities (Age Concern and BHF) who say they'll collect just haven't bothered phoning me back. When I take things into the shops, they don't bother saying thank you, just 'have you done gift aid?' I'm really losing sympathy with the shops, yet I know there are people out there who would benefit.

Meglet Sat 05-Oct-13 10:34:29

Same here. Loads of clutter than is clogging up the house <<aaghhh>>.

I've got a pile of stuff for a NCT sale next week. But I've done them before and I'll price it low to sell. Car boots are impossible as I'm a LP so I'm going to try and shift a few other items via a FB selling page. I haven't used e-bay in a year but had a look yesterday to get an idea of pushchair prices, it looked pretty sad. No bids on loads of items on their final day, even decent pushchairs confused.

Good tip about trying Homestart. I do have some bits they might find useful smile.

Whereisegg Sat 05-Oct-13 10:21:38

Jemster you have to 'ask to join' my local ones.

Just search your local town name, plus the words buying/selling and you will probably find loads!
The admin are near me are quick to add people smile

ShoeWhore Fri 04-Oct-13 22:49:02

I had a similar pile of stuff OP and took it all to the charity shop and haven't regretted it for a second. Was quite a weight off tbh.

IsleOfRight Fri 04-Oct-13 22:42:57

I had four big bags and was going to do carboot sale then at last minute couldn't be arsed and took to charity shop. Regretting it a bit now. Good cause though and have cut back charitable donations recently as not earning as on mat leave so I guess this is in lieu.

PoppyWearer Fri 04-Oct-13 22:25:58

Jemster my local Facebook group requires you to be invited/approved. So ask your local friends?

Mynewmoniker Fri 04-Oct-13 20:20:59

Try Freeads (local) and Gumtree. Easy peasy to upload photos and add details. One of them reminds you to 'bump' if it hasn'r sold.

Jemster Fri 04-Oct-13 20:11:43

How do I get to my local facebook pages? Sorry, I've never done it before and didn't know they existed.

Mintyy Fri 04-Oct-13 20:10:09

Charity shop one third of it. So, get a pile of stuff in front of you and every third item, donate to charity. So 1/3 of the clothes, 1/3 of the toys, 1/3 of the book etc. That will make everything seem more manageable.

Have you tried the NetMums local selling forums? I did mean to say NetMums there, not Mumsnet btw, Mumsnet Local is not really a happening thing just yet ime.

Whereisegg Fri 04-Oct-13 20:03:24

Def try your local fb selling pages as already suggested.

You can specify collection only, and if your things are all different (so no bundles of clothing, or different kitchen bits for example), just sell as a job lot for carbooters.

I have sold job lots of stuff to people cheaply who will sell on, and bought stuff cheaply and made a profit (my best was £90 profit in 3 hours on a pram I bought!), it's addictive grin

lljkk Fri 04-Oct-13 19:53:45

We do get yard sales, Hazchem, but weather is not reliable, so not many such sales. They are big in California, too.

monkeytennismum Fri 04-Oct-13 06:32:52

In the same vein as MissMarples have you tried your local HomeStart? They are a charity which support vulnerable families / people in your area. They will take ANYTHING as the people they work with often have nothing - women from refuges / asylum seekers etc. I know you get no money from it but I personally really like knowing that my stuff is going directly to people who really need it. Esp. baby stuff - as it all gets loved again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now