At what point do I just give up on ebay and charity shop all this stuff? I cannot bear the clutter but really need the cash!

(35 Posts)
Jemster Wed 02-Oct-13 18:19:25

Hi
I'm getting myself really stressed out. Trying to declutter as we have far too much stuff and loft is full to bursting. We are going through a very difficult time financially and have some debts to clear.
My thought was to put literally everything I can on ebay but it's just not selling. If it does sell I am making a pittance i.e just sold baby bath for 99p.
I tried an NCT nearly new sale and only sold half the stuff so the rest is now cluttering up my living room.

I just can't bear the thought of charity shopping it when I once bought all this stuff and want to recoup some iof that money. But the time involved trying to sell it and then getting peanuts for it is making me question all of this.

I work 5 half days too and even when I do sell on ebay it's a struggle to get to the post office.

Please give me some advice. I have a permanent headache from worrying about money and feeling guilty for chucking stuff out but the clutter is doing my head in! Thank you

lljkk Fri 04-Oct-13 19:53:45

We do get yard sales, Hazchem, but weather is not reliable, so not many such sales. They are big in California, too.

Whereisegg Fri 04-Oct-13 20:03:24

Def try your local fb selling pages as already suggested.

You can specify collection only, and if your things are all different (so no bundles of clothing, or different kitchen bits for example), just sell as a job lot for carbooters.

I have sold job lots of stuff to people cheaply who will sell on, and bought stuff cheaply and made a profit (my best was £90 profit in 3 hours on a pram I bought!), it's addictive grin

Mintyy Fri 04-Oct-13 20:10:09

Charity shop one third of it. So, get a pile of stuff in front of you and every third item, donate to charity. So 1/3 of the clothes, 1/3 of the toys, 1/3 of the book etc. That will make everything seem more manageable.

Have you tried the NetMums local selling forums? I did mean to say NetMums there, not Mumsnet btw, Mumsnet Local is not really a happening thing just yet ime.

Jemster Fri 04-Oct-13 20:11:43

How do I get to my local facebook pages? Sorry, I've never done it before and didn't know they existed.

Mynewmoniker Fri 04-Oct-13 20:20:59

Try Freeads (local) and Gumtree. Easy peasy to upload photos and add details. One of them reminds you to 'bump' if it hasn'r sold.

PoppyWearer Fri 04-Oct-13 22:25:58

Jemster my local Facebook group requires you to be invited/approved. So ask your local friends?

IsleOfRight Fri 04-Oct-13 22:42:57

I had four big bags and was going to do carboot sale then at last minute couldn't be arsed and took to charity shop. Regretting it a bit now. Good cause though and have cut back charitable donations recently as not earning as on mat leave so I guess this is in lieu.

ShoeWhore Fri 04-Oct-13 22:49:02

I had a similar pile of stuff OP and took it all to the charity shop and haven't regretted it for a second. Was quite a weight off tbh.

Whereisegg Sat 05-Oct-13 10:21:38

Jemster you have to 'ask to join' my local ones.

Just search your local town name, plus the words buying/selling and you will probably find loads!
The admin are near me are quick to add people smile

Meglet Sat 05-Oct-13 10:34:29

Same here. Loads of clutter than is clogging up the house <<aaghhh>>.

I've got a pile of stuff for a NCT sale next week. But I've done them before and I'll price it low to sell. Car boots are impossible as I'm a LP so I'm going to try and shift a few other items via a FB selling page. I haven't used e-bay in a year but had a look yesterday to get an idea of pushchair prices, it looked pretty sad. No bids on loads of items on their final day, even decent pushchairs confused.

Good tip about trying Homestart. I do have some bits they might find useful smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now