How often do you change your pjs? And towels?

(88 Posts)
whethergirl Tue 01-Oct-13 12:04:21

How often do you/dc change your pyjamas?
I normally change my top every night (although I've been told that's excessive) and my pj bottoms every 3-4 days - bearing in mind I DO wear knickers in bed which I think is relevant.

Also, while we're here, how often do you change your bath towels?
I change about once a week (used once a day).

Medal Wed 02-Oct-13 11:16:58

Towels once a week or more often. Bedding every 2 weeks.

PJs every couple of days.

gamerchick Wed 02-Oct-13 11:27:28

I often wonder about bras. How long is an acceptable time to wear a bra do you think? I detest the things and my lot are accustomed to a bra flying across the room when I get home.

If they're only on a couple of hours they should be washed right? I seem to have a sticking point about them as they don't like the heat of a washing machine and should be handwashed.

lifesgreatquestions Wed 02-Oct-13 11:35:12

Bath towels weekly unless the weather means they aren't drying properly between uses.

Bedding weekly.

I don't wear pj's in bed but I wear them around the house of an evening, I put them on after a shower, and I change them every few days as feels right, sooner if it feels right, never later than that though.

I do the same with my bras. If they get sweaty they go in immediately, if it's cool out then they are ok.

Tea towels are washed either according to need if sooner, or weekly if not.

Why ladies, why does this still fascinate us? It's the conversation over the fence isn't it? The home ec conversations of previous generations. I'm just as curious as the next person so not being critical. Just sitting here with a smile thinking about how much I enjoyed thinking about the question!

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 11:41:23

These are my favourite threads grin

Neither I nor DH wear anything in bed. Teenage DS usually just wears underwear. A clean pair every night, different from the ones he wears in the day, obv. If he wears PJs they're clean every night.

I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't change PJs every night. I wouldn't wear clothes all day without washing them. There's no way I would wear them all night without washing them.

As for towels, we each have our own towel for showers, which we keep in our bedrooms. They're changed after a couple of uses.
Handtowel in the bathroom is changed daily. Teatowel and handtowel in the kitchen, ditto.

TobyLerone Wed 02-Oct-13 11:42:04

Oh, and bras every day. Bedding weekly.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 02-Oct-13 11:43:52

I guess my reasoning is that if I were to do nothing in my clothes but have a nice lie down in them for 6 hours, and I wasn't planning to leave the house, I probably would be ok with washing them every other day!

Bath towels are washed weekly, and we all have our own. Hand towels and flannels are changed daily, as are kitchen towels and tea towels.

DS and I changed our pyjamas twice a week, but I wear knickers under them and he baths before bed, so they don't get dirty.

DH likes cleaning pyjamas bottoms each day, which he wears with a clean tshirt.

I genuinely love these threads about washing grin .

valiumredhead Wed 02-Oct-13 11:48:33

Nightshirts every day and towels once or twice a week.

PatchworkPerson Wed 02-Oct-13 11:49:29

Hand towels get washed a couple of times a week.

Bath towels after every use, who wants to dry their face on a towel someone else has dried their bum on?!

No one wears pjs unless staying in someone else's home. Ds's sleep in boxers and they go in wash basket every morning.

Floralnomad Wed 02-Oct-13 11:52:18

Bath towels washed after every use and hand towels daily ( so a load every day ) ,only boxers worn in bed here and they get changed every day . Sheets are done once or twice a week .

GreenShadow England Wed 02-Oct-13 12:14:32

Those of you that wash pyjamas etc daily, how many pairs do you all have to have !?

They cost a small fortune, so if the whole family are changing every day, you must all need several pairs.

I only tend to have 2 pairs so changing weekly gives plenty of time to wash and dry them.

Sunnysummer Wed 02-Oct-13 12:26:03

Sheets and towels once a week, hand towels and bathmats twice a week as they stay damp more often, pyjamas usually twice a week. Change anything when anyone is ill or if the weather has left things damp etc, obviously!

Definitely change things more often with a baby - his towels and Pjs go into the wash every couple of uses due to accidents, plus I get lots of milk leaks, so run through nighties and sheets more often.

Am still shock at the water and electricity use of daily towel washers, but then I was raised by European hippies (clean ones, but still!), so maybe have different standards smile

buildingmycorestrength Wed 02-Oct-13 13:56:57

I actually can't quite believe anyone washes towels daily. shock. So much effort and drying and everything. but then I am extremely lazy

LIZS Wed 02-Oct-13 14:00:48

I know , and towels are usually used after you have washed .

valiumredhead Wed 02-Oct-13 14:03:06

Green-ds wears them about 2 or 3 days,Dh wears nothing and I am atty the time off my life where I definitely need to change mine every daywink

valiumredhead Wed 02-Oct-13 14:03:18

At not atty

whethergirl Wed 02-Oct-13 22:18:13

This isn't so much fascinating for me as it is just a way of gauging my own standards. I was brought up by my dad who had pretty low standards (always busy working), sometimes we had a cleaner, sometimes we didn't, but I do remember things that when I look back now, I think eww! And then as an adult, I had OCD and went over the top with everything. The OCD is now well under control and I sometimes need to check with other people to make sure my standards are quite normal! I do remember reading other threads like this, but couldn't remember the outcome, but now having started this one, I think opinions were so varied your really none the wiser!

PatchworkPerson I can assure you no-one drys their arse on my bath towel. And I don't dry my face on my bath towel, I have a special face towel for that. AND I have a special system: I dry the top half of my body with the right side of the towel, and the lower half with the other side. <smug>

I don't have a tumble drier so to wash bedsheets and towels any more than once a week would be practically impossible.

I do think a lot depends on how many people are in the household too. I don't change the hand towel every day but then it's only me and DS that use it.

And kitchen towels...it depends what you do with them. I have seen people use them like a multi purpose cloth, one minute wiping up spillages, next minute wiping greasy hands, and then the worktop etc. I don't use my teatowels an awful lot (dishes are left to dry) but I do use an awful lot of kitchen towel, yeh I know, wasteful and all that.

TobyLerone the reason I don't change my pjs every night (although, when you put it like that, I am now re-considering!) because I shower every morning anyway, so it doesn't seem necessary?

I see no-one has given me a good solid reason as to why I should be airing my fanjo.

whethergirl Wed 02-Oct-13 22:24:53

Wow Chipping, is your house also completely spotless? Good point about about towels rubbing off dead skin fakes.

BTW I don't wear shoes inside the house - JOKE!!! PLEASE DON'T GO THERE!!!

valiumredhead Wed 02-Oct-13 23:27:05

Gamer's comment was so obviously a joke hence the big smiley!!

TeaJunky Wed 02-Oct-13 23:48:37

What I'd like to know is.....

how do you all DRY your laundry? shock

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Thu 03-Oct-13 00:00:21

whethergirl - I wish!! The gremlins seem to bring in dust & debris, little buggers! I'm currently redecorating/renovating/whatevering so the place has stuff everywhere as well as plaster dust etc - my head is done in! One day it will be finished and lovely... then I'll have to move

valiumredhead Thu 03-Oct-13 09:07:45

I dry everything on the line or in the drier. I tend to hang my tops up straight from the machine to avoid shrinking.

MotherOfSoupDragon Thu 03-Oct-13 09:19:20

I change pjs after 2 nights, dd after one night. Bath towels are used 2 or 3 times than changed. Hand towels are changed after 2 days.

TheSteamingNit Thu 03-Oct-13 09:25:03

Honestly? They both get changed as and when.
Usually when I look at them and think "Hmm. I've been using you for an awfully long time."
Ditto goes for bedsheets, jeans, bras and the bathmat.

Same goes for the kiddo.

Showers happen every day (and twice in summer because forty degrees c is disgusting) and I do not approve of seams in my fanjo so knickers are always worn. My precious Fanj is aired out while I'm digging in my wardrobe after a shower.

TheSteamingNit Thu 03-Oct-13 09:30:16

Oh, and everything is dried on the line. I have a Hills hoist in the middle of the yard for summer and a huge collapsible one under the veranda for winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now