How do you deal with your washing?!

(242 Posts)
mollysmum82 Sun 29-Sep-13 14:40:41

I'm just curious what other people's laundry habits are. I never seem to see wet washing hanging at anyone else's house so I wondered what I was missing! Obviously when it's a glorious day you can hang it outside but if you don't have a utility room and its peeing it down what do you do? Do you tumble dry everything? (If I try this everything seems creased beyond repair) or do you just iron everything from wet? What other options are there? How often and when do you do your washing? I feel like such a novice at this house keeping malarkey! Thanks so much for any tips!

HesterShaw Fri 04-Oct-13 09:46:04

Yes, but has it ever been ok to just say, "Well at least I'm not as bad as they are"? That's just like giving up! Lots of people making small differences is surely better than no one being arsed to do anything because no one else is. Anyway some charming soul will accuse me of being smug and preachy in a minute - which I'm not - so I'll stop smile

BeCool Fri 04-Oct-13 09:52:19

I think every little change in our habits makes a huge difference.

Just imagine:
Every Londoner recycling, making sure their taps don't drip and using eco-bulbs;
vs
Every Londoner throwing all waste into the rubbish, letting their taps drip drip drip and using old style bulbs.

Just because a comedian makes a joke with a ridiculous but powerful image, doesn't mean the point they are making is in fact true.

BeCool Fri 04-Oct-13 09:56:26

in effect each community IS a big business.

The "I'm too small to make any difference" is a cop out.

Take responsibility for your consumption. Teach your DC to do the same.
Teach them just because we are privileged (and lucky) enough to be able to turn a tap on and get fresh clean safe water, doesn't mean we should leave the tap on all day, even if we can 'afford' the water bill.

The world is much bigger and more important than me me me!

HesterShaw Fri 04-Oct-13 09:57:34

Hear hear

ringaringarosy Fri 04-Oct-13 11:22:50

quoted where Hester?where do you get this info from?

BeCool Fri 04-Oct-13 11:38:50

The use of quotation marks (or inverted commas) is far broader than just indicating a direct quote.

BeCool Fri 04-Oct-13 11:39:54

oops wrong thread grin

HesterShaw Fri 04-Oct-13 12:53:48

I think you're missing the point ringarosy. The point is a large majority of scientists (90% or 99% or 85% is immaterial - it's still a large majority) agree that climate change is happening. Whether this is caused by CO2 in the atmosphere or carbon particles in ice acting as a heat sink, as I heard recently...I don't think it matters actually. If there's a large chance this is happening, then if there are small things I can do, then I will. It doesn't put me out. And yes I stand by my original comment that people with childen who don't care about the environment are selfish and short sighted. My opinion.

ringaringarosy Fri 04-Oct-13 13:23:08

But we dont know if those things really make any difference though do we?We know its happening but we dont know if its just nature taking its course or if its something e have done.

So people without children dont have to care then?only people with children?If that makes people think i am selfish then i really dont mind!It might be,but i have lots of other things going for me so it really doesnt matter.

HesterShaw Fri 04-Oct-13 13:29:27

Not at all. I don't have children myself. And if I did have, then I'd also be doing everything I reasonably could because I don't think I could look them in the eye when they ask why the world is in such a state and say "I did nothing because I couldn't be arsed."

Anyway back to washing....

HesterShaw Fri 04-Oct-13 13:30:54

Oh and personally I think that the amount of crap we are pumping into the sky ans the sea couldn't fail to be changing things.

PosyNarker Fri 04-Oct-13 20:27:08

We do several loads at the weekend and I usually try to get a couple on through the week. There are two of us.

Sheets and towels always on the weekend and unless summer, they get tumble dried. I have two airers, one in the utility room and another one that gets used as and when necessary.

We have an A rated condenser drier, so it uses much less electricity than a standard tumble drier. It'd be lovely to dry outdoors more, but during the week it's only practical in summer.

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 04-Oct-13 20:44:37

One thing to consider from a green perspective us how much if the heat is "wasted". If the drier is only being run when its too cold and damp to dry outside then any excess heat which is kept within the house isn't actually wasted energy, its just being moved from intentional heating systems.

LemonDrizzleCake11 Fri 04-Oct-13 21:00:31

I've become a convert to the lakeland heated drier (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-Soon-3-Tier-Heated-Tower-Airer)... I put my washing on when I get in from work at 6, get it out at 8, put it on the heated drier then drape a sheet over the top to help keep the heat in, and then in the morning its all dry and I can put it away!

Sadly to keep on top of the volume of washing my two children husband and child produce I end up having to do this at least 5 nights a week....

BeCool Fri 04-Oct-13 21:11:40

Lemon my first load has just been hung on the LL heated tower airer and I'm eyeing it suspiciously.
<awaits morning>

confused

At least one wash a day here (2 adults, 2 school age girls); thats with the girls wearing their school jumpers and pjs two days in a row.

I hang out if dry, tumble dry all undies/pjs/towels, we have a clothes horse and pulley when wet but am finding everything takes an age to dry hmm

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now