Completely fed up of my tiny kitchen. Any suggestions?

(70 Posts)
EduCated Sun 29-Sep-13 12:57:48

Please indulge me in a Sunday afternoon whinge sad

My kitchen is really small and it's really getting annoying. I was going to treat myself to a wok the other day, then realised I just don't have anywhere to keep it, at least not without having to completely empty and re-pack the cupboard every time I want to get anything out. It looks like a disaster zone after every meal with the washing up taking up the whole side.

Is there anything I can do to make it a more useful space? Any suggestions for magic king up more space? It really doesn't help that I'm also having to keep the ironing board and mop/bucket in there as I don't have any cupboard space anywhere.

At the moment I've got a single and a double wall cupboard (mugs/glasses and food storage, respectively), a single lower cupboard with crockery/pans/Tupperware etc and the one under the sink which has all the cleaning stuff in, plus a mini wall cupboard with casserole dishes and baking stuff. How can I make better use of it all?

EduCated Mon 30-Sep-13 08:39:06

Also, Moku, harsh is good. Harsh makes me do stuff!

flyingwidow Mon 30-Sep-13 08:45:40

I second the over the door iron & ironing board holder- we put our ironing board over the back of the downstairs loo door. holder

TheHattifattenersBarometer Mon 30-Sep-13 10:39:43

These are very good, as are these, there is a lock & lock box that fits perfectly under the metal shelf thing, I use both decant everything into the boxes. I have larger/taller lock and lock boxes and keep odd times that would other wise get lost in the cupboard in these.

My kitchen is also pretty tiny so I keep a fold up stool in the kitchen and keep pans on the top of the cupboards (it is a pita, but I keep the pan that gets used everyday on the hob). I've also found some massive baskets that go on top of the cupboards for stuff that doesn't get used often.

I have a wok, I've hung it on the back of the door using an over the door hook like this one, mine was from TKMax though and is slightly better (and only £7!).

The microwave is a tiny one but I have put a piece of shelf on the top so that I can keep stuff on the top without it all falling off. I've even got an ironing board that folds in 3 so that it takes up even less space...(I only iron once in a blue moon which helps too).

TheHattifattenersBarometer Mon 30-Sep-13 10:48:45

Thank you for posting the guardian article BrownSauceSandwich, I have family members who cannot fathom how on earth I cope with such a tiny kitchen so I quite like reading articles like that!

InsertBoringName Mon 30-Sep-13 19:37:30

We have a fairly small kitchen. We don't have drawers so our cutlery is stored by hanging this cheap bar on the wall and hanging these plastic pots off it. It fits four pots so one for knives, one for forks, one for big spoons and one for teaspoons. You could maybe do similar on the back of your door?

I know you said wall space was limited but I thought I'd suggest it anyway - We didn't have bench space for a microwave so we bought this cabinet and just didn't put the door on for our microwave to live in. I'm sure you can actually get wall mounted brackets too.

sugar4eva Mon 30-Sep-13 21:50:32

Hi what has really helped for us is to pay a joiner to build a shelf for half way up in the under sink cupboard ; we used to keep cleanings stuff on it but there was deaf space in the top of the cupboard we now have cleaning stuff in top section and we put washing up bowl on bottom half and put the dishes on it during day to avoid clutter then just wash up x one at night ; works like a dishwasher storing stuff out of way till you wash up ; huge difference to our kitchen !

starsandunicorns Mon 30-Sep-13 22:02:16

I feel your pain op in my kitchen we dont have room for a bin we use a carry bag hooked onto the drawer handles my pans sit on the micro wave I have 1 whole worktop size of a single cupboard free to do cooking and my cooker do only opens halfway my fridge is in a built in cupboard in the hall way the fuse switch for the fridge is in the kitchen took dp ages to work out why the plug didnt work

starsandunicorns Mon 30-Sep-13 22:03:08

do = door

oscarwilde Tue 01-Oct-13 15:26:13

Have you seen the tv chef Rachel Khoo? She has a tiny kitchen
www.rachelkhoo.com/paris/tips-for-keeping-a-little-paris-kitchen
More info re gadgets on her FAQ's
I wrap infrequently used items in cling film and stash on the top of the cupboards. Unwrap the greasy cling film and you are good to go.
Look for a few very versatile saucepans. A pasta saucepan with a steamer insert [large saucepan, drainer, steamer, lid] should allow you to ditch a few. Here's a rather pricey example but there are lots of other options out there.
www.johnlewis.com/masterchef-cookware/p272884

ShoeWhore Tue 01-Oct-13 17:23:14

How about this or this from Ikea?

EduCated Tue 01-Oct-13 20:59:47

Oscar, it's the greasiness on top of the cupboards I'm worried about. Think plastic boxes will be the way to go.

Though I refuse to believe Rachel Khoo's kitchen is actually that small wink there's actually half an acre extension behind her! grin

I like the look of that over door thingy from ikea.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 01-Oct-13 21:13:18

I love 'kitchen stuff' smile

But my kitchen here is small - not as small as yours - but it has 3 doors off of it (all essential) and a large window. It's a nightmare. I ruthlessly decluttered and as much as it pains me, I don't buy 'stuff' for the kitchen unless I really really really think it's worth it. I have to know where it is going to go and often get rid of something in exchange.

I hate it as I love nice kitchen things sad but I hate clutter MORE.

No real solutions for you - just get rid of anything you think you can live without, even if you would 'prefer' to have it.

EduCated Tue 01-Oct-13 21:48:59

I know what you mean about wanting more than you can house sad

Though I really don't own much. I moved here from student digs, so didn't have much to bring over.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Tue 01-Oct-13 21:57:25

Rachel Khoo's kitchen is a mess. She has "plastic draws"....... DRAWERS love! Keeping your veg hanging outside your window is bizarre.

heavenlybrownies Tue 01-Oct-13 22:08:54

Haven't read the whole thread but have you thought of wall mounted tables? If you have a wall available they might be a good addition. You can have a look at some on the IKEA website. Also, IKEA has a great video with clever ideas as to how to save space www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/small_spaces/index.html. They have an iron you can use on a countertop. Also, is it possible to remove the door and have a sliding door instead? We did this and now have a door which slides into the wall. It meant that we could have a small table where the children could eat.

EduCated Tue 01-Oct-13 22:34:32

Good suggestions, but it's a rented furnished flat, so not much I can do structure wise. Unfortunately.

owlface Wed 02-Oct-13 14:53:34

I have a tiny kitchen, one thing which gave me a bit of extra storage is shelves in the window recess itself (so the kitchen windowsill is the bottom shelf, if that makes sense). I put decorative sort of things like teapot etc on there. Another thing I did was remove the cooker hood and put shelves up in that space. I was always banging my head on it anyway and the extra shelves are great!

TheHattifattenersBarometer Wed 02-Oct-13 17:20:37

Have you taken the kitchen door off and stored it under your bed EduCated? as long as you put it back on when you leave it would be fine. I took my door off so long ago that I'd forgotten about it. It freed up quite a bit of space.

EduCated Wed 02-Oct-13 17:26:20

Hmm, really not sure about that! Not sure if manage it and, besides, I like being able to just shut the door on it at times! Also, the door opens outwards and is usually propped open, which has the se effect!

i have tiny kitchen, i recommend getting rid of stuff you don't use daily, i don't need the 10 plates, eight mugs, 30 glasses we, spares are packed up in a box under the bed, get them out if i have people round. this also stops teenagers using them all without washing up. in reality i only ever use 3 saucepans,one frying pan , two baking trays for cooking, plus the cake tin. i keep out one mixing bowl, got rid of the food processor and bought a hand held blender. Store stuff in the cooker and in the microwave when you are not using them. My microwave sits on top of the fridge freezer, but im tall so easy for me get stuff in and out. Also i store my extra tins of food under the sofa, is werid but we dont use that space so why not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now