Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Mice/Pest control company: any recommendations? SW London

(11 Posts)
Matl Thu 26-Sep-13 09:25:44

Hi everyone,
we seem to have a recurrent mice problem. We have caught a couple of it over the last years (not that bad one could say) and knock on wood we don't have it inside the house right now.
But, I can hear the little pest walking above our bedroom, in the space between the floors! (we are on a end of terrace maisonette, first and 2nd floor)...and it will be only a matter of time that they find their way in!
We have used a pest control company in the past and they have had laid traps, suggested to cover some gaps...
Before going back to them once again, does anyone have any professional names they recommend?
I am trying to convince the adjacent neighbours to embark on a joint effort to end this issue which is also affecting them...but I am having some problems explaining them (and myself!) the added value of getting and paying yet another pest control company to do so (between all of us we have probably covered a hand full of different pest control companies!)
Any help/suggestion/recommendation is very very welcomed. The knowledge that they are walking above my bed and might be just crawling around the corner and where DD crawls takes away any change of quality time at home!
And apologies for the long message!
Thanks!

NewJewels Sun 29-Sep-13 13:06:13

If you haven't already done so you can help a lot by changing the way you store food. Everything needs to be in a tin or jar. So, cereal boxes get decanted into storage jars etc when you come home with them. Ikea usually have some cheap glass jars or you can re-use ones that come with things in if pennies are scarce.

Also clear away/move onto shelves any stacks of old papers if you can.

That way they won't harm your baby (no food contamination) and will probably be less likely to venture into your maisonette.

I had good success with my old local council pest control (not for rodents admittedly) - they were much cheaper than commercial rates and took the time to explain what they were doing and how to avoid recurrence. Might be worth seeing what services yours provide.

If it is a building-wide issue the freeholder/management company may be best placed to coordinate between flats etc.

Good luck.

valiumredhead Sun 29-Sep-13 13:16:32

Ring the council, London used to be a free rodent service.

BillyBanter Sun 29-Sep-13 13:20:09

Try the council or Beaver pest control in Tooting did our flats a few years back and seemed pretty good.

Co-ordinating your effort is definitely best.

Matl Mon 30-Sep-13 20:57:47

Thank you very much!
@NewJewels it was one of the first things we did ! nothing stays out, etc.
We got a quote from what was previously known as Blockmice (there was quite a positive review in here which I came across after contacting them)
Not cheap but comes with guarantee of 6 months during which they will come as many time as needed to find where mice is coming from and block it.
Fingers crossed it will work!

bluebell19681 Fri 21-Feb-14 02:12:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bluebell19681 Fri 21-Feb-14 02:14:47

jamespitter Sat 03-May-14 13:48:40

I was dealing with a same problem of mice in my home and I tried many ways to get rid of them but I was unsuccessful. At last I saw an article on stocktonca.pinnaclepest.com/ site which completely focus on mice eradication. Points of the article:

1. Mix 1 cup (128 g) of flour, 1 cup (201 g) of sugar and 1 cup (128 g) of baking soda in a large bowl.

2. Place the dry mixture into shallow containers such as a tuna fish can.

3. Wait a day and check the cans.

The bicarbonate of the baking soda reacts with the rat's stomach acids to produce a carbon dioxide gas. Rats are unable to pass gas. The gas will build up in the rat's system and eventually cause internal blockage or rupture.

cricketpitch Sun 04-May-14 13:24:11

I used Quickil - recommended by my council. Had several problems - not mice though.

Don't think they were local to SW London but used to do jobs in the area. I thought they were pretty good - and very understanding of the distress that pests can cause.

pestlocal Sun 11-Jan-15 18:19:42

AuclairdelaluneSW19 Fri 13-Feb-15 21:10:41

Another vote for blockmice.co.uk. Just before Christmas, we realised that things had got out of hand. My daughter had run screaming from her bed in the early hours after hearing a mouse under her bed. A few days later I saw bigger droppings in another bedroom and feared we also had a rat. Needless to say, I was a nervous wreck. I'm house proud and I promise you our house is clean(!), but I felt it was contaminated.

Now a few weeks later, I can once again relax in my own home. All thanks to Mr Jaffar of blockmice.co.uk. The bad news was that he confirmed that we also had a rat. We live in a typical London Victorian terrace with wooden floorboards so there are so many nooks and crannies which rodents can use to get into the house. We had a big problem. The good news was that as soon as I met Mr Jaffar I had complete confidence that he knew what he was talking about and that if anyone was going to be able to help us, it would be him. He has a wealth of experience.

Mr Jaffar and his team took swift action. They laid potent poison under the floorboards and only when it was clear that there was no more mice/rat activity, they went through every room in the house with forensic attention to detail and blocked all the entry points. Mr Jaffar and his team have been back to the house several times to monitor the situation.

Over the years, I have had dealings with the local council and Rentokil about this problem and they had a half-hearted approach. I wanted to be sure that everything would be done to get rid of the mice and rat. Thanks to the post on Mumsnet I found blockmice.co.uk and they have done a thorough, professional job. No sign of the rodents. I am so relieved. In my opinion, they are the experts in this field and I thoroughly recommend them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now