help, the house I'm moving into stinks of animal piss

(13 Posts)
longjane Sat 07-Sep-13 19:11:52

white vinegar might be worth a shot

trixymalixy Sat 07-Sep-13 19:04:53

My neighbours house was like this when they moved in. They got a cleaning fluid from the vets that removed the smell from the floorboards.

CMOTDibbler Sat 07-Sep-13 18:57:07

You can get special 'pet accident' spray that will sort the smell out. You can get it from any pet shop - bleach doesn't work.

DameFanny Sat 07-Sep-13 18:54:29

Firms that clean carpets in pubs, old peoples homes etc have special sprays for canceling out the more organic smells. Give one a call and see if they can point you at something?

I will call in the carpet shop on Monday, tbh the floorboards need ripping out but I can't afford to do that and ideally I want us to move in next weekend.

Phineyj Sat 07-Sep-13 18:29:56

Have you tried asking the carpet people for advice? The pet wee may have soaked into the floorboards so could get into the carpets -- some kinds of underlay may be better than others. We had cat wee that had soaked into skirting boards in a previous house and had to have the boards replaced. Possibly a surface sanding of the floorboards may be necessary? Would be a big job though sad. Possibly you could spread fine cat litter over the worst affected parts and hoover up?

Thanks, I hadn't thought of bicarb. I agree with the ventilation, I don't think they ever opened the windows.
Where do I get oxalic acid from?

HormonalHousewife Sat 07-Sep-13 18:15:46

Open all windows and get as much ventilation through as possible ?

specialsubject Sat 07-Sep-13 18:12:11

yuk. Not what you need. I would suggest delaying the carpets but that may not be an option.

re the toilets, if it is limescale caked with other substances, oxalic acid does the trick. It is BAD stuff so be careful. (How do I know this? Moved into accommodation previously used by mummy's little darling who hadn't been taught to clean toilets)

OddBoots Sat 07-Sep-13 18:06:41

I'd but a generous sprinkling of bicarb of soda on it and leave it overnight then sweep/vacuum that up - it does tend to remove most smells - it's what I used when potty training and clearing up after poorly children.

Its a housing association and they won't do anything about it, the toilets are disgusting too, but they have attempted to clean them, I think to get the remaining marks off I will need caustic soda

specialsubject Sat 07-Sep-13 17:55:55

before you do anything, have you spoken to the landlord? This deep clean is not really your responsibility.

We're moving into a rented property and the previous tenants have left it in a right state, the whole of the upstairs stinks of dog or cat piss, I think they also kept hamsters.
Ive scrubbed the floorboards with bleach and then again with disinfectant but I can still smell it, its not as heave inducing as before though.
We are having carpets fitted next week and I want the smell to be gone by then, would carpet vac sprinkled everywhere do the trick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now