Do I need an actual telly these days??

(25 Posts)
spots Sun 01-Sep-13 14:02:15

... or can I just use laptops wired up to a bigger monitor? How many channels are available this way? I hardly watch TV at all these days but dd3 watches tons of cbeebies, usually on laptop. Would love to free up a corner of the living room, and possibly have more flexibility in where we watch.

Cindy34 Sun 01-Sep-13 14:40:48

No but isn't a tv just the same as a big monitor?

Lots of things are available online via catchup services, ondemand movie services and live feeds like TVCatchup.com

I think you' be fine with a monitor, I know we did it like that for a while. It's easier in a lot of ways. Between iplayer etc there's a lot of choice, and then of course there's netflix and lovefilm. I think even tescos have launched an online library of tv etc.

Our TV is essentially just a monitor now as we realised we only watched TV once a month at most, and that was only out of boredom. So we removed the cables and stopped paying a license fee, the TV just hooks up to a playstation now.

delasi Sun 01-Sep-13 16:55:59

Murder Same here, only Xbox until it dies and DH gets his way with a brand new shiny PS....

You can also link up a TV or monitor to a streaming box thing (technical term grin). We have a TV purely because they're easy to find, come in big sizes, and are often on offer. We haven't had a license in a long time (only had it originally because we didn't realise we didn't need it), TV isn't hooked up to any aerials, and we only ever watch on demand and subscription services (plus a few DVDs and rentals).

In terms of channels, BBC iPlayer and 4OD are the most reliable ime. You can pay for Netflix (£5.99/month, free trials available), which we do because we like the catalogue available. However I believe ITV and 5 also have on demand services, but they don't have anything that I'm interested in seeing.

Well a big monitor is just like a tv, but as long as you are happy with the size of the monitor (for ages I only had a little laptop and it was rubbish if I wanted to watch a film with DS and DP, we couldn't all see it).

We have a tv screen but it's not connected to recieve tv, no ariel or anything, just hooked up to playstation and laptops.

Nice to see we aren't alone in this. Other people look at us like we are mad when we say our TV doesn't receive and TV programmes grin

VikingVagine Sun 01-Sep-13 17:55:09

If you on
Y watch things on catchup and never live, you can do away with your tv, and more interestingly, your tv licence. Legally.

VikingVagine Sun 01-Sep-13 17:55:27

If you only*

spots Sun 01-Sep-13 18:24:51

Is that right?? I'm sure I've had a warning of some sort pop up just reminding me that I need one when I've been watching iPlayer or 4OD...

DH would wonder about live sports events I suppose...

Only if you are watching it live. Otherwise you don't need a license. Obviously they'd rather you paid it anyway... wink

You need a licence for live TV. You don't need a licence for catch-up.
If you are sports fans, I recommend getting a licence - often stuff doesn't get onto the iPlayer, and if it does, it can be several hours later.

This is why I had to quarantine myself from the world and watch Andy Murray's win at midnight.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 01-Sep-13 18:35:45

I don't think anybody has ever needed a tv. They have their place but aren't necessary and if you can access programmes on a lap top then they are even less wanted.

spots Sun 01-Sep-13 21:06:09

I don't need a telly for myself at all, but as a tool for keeping other members of the family happy it certainly has its place. smile

Thanks for all your help y'all.

Cindy34 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:46:48

Question for those of you without a Tv license, does TV licensing still send you letters frequently trying to get you to buy a license, send people round to check, or have they decided to cease with that now that more people are not having a license.

I am at a cross roads, We don't watch much live TV so don't really need a license. However morally I am not sure about how I feel about not contributing to the things we do watch on iplayer, listen to on the radio.

delasi Sun 01-Sep-13 21:58:54

Cindy At first we got a few letters: Warning! We will send an officer around! You have not renewed your licence! despite having spoken to them on the phone to explain why we didn't need a licence (we can't watch TV even if we wanted to, there's no aerial connection). But no one ever came and they just gave up sending letters. Haven't heard from them in nearly a year (cancelled licence about a year and a half ago). I've had family do the same - cancelled licence, a few months of red 'warning' letters, and then nothing. I have heard that some people do get checked, apparently they just come and look at the TV and check there's no connection to an aerial or something similar. There are also those vans that drive around scanning for TV signals ...or something.

YoungBritishPissArtist Sun 01-Sep-13 23:42:00

It's licence, not license.

Vivacia Mon 02-Sep-13 11:31:12

We still pay for the licence even though we only use the tv for the PS and Netflix. Its more than worth it for the amount of radio and iPlayer we watch.

valiumredhead Mon 02-Sep-13 12:29:15

Why pay for something you don't need?confused

Young-what a great contribution to the threadhmm

I think I'm just going to keep writing license just because it's obviously hitting a nerve wink

We notified the TV licensing lot online, all we ever got was a letter acknowledging that we no longer had to pay, and then nothing since.

YoungBritishPissArtist Mon 02-Sep-13 15:35:15

Sorry about my spelling strop last night hmm I was feeling ill and grumpy.

I ditched my telly years ago and just watch on the Internet, usually iPlayer and 4oD. If you watch ITV Player, I think you have to subscribe and pay 20p or something to watch things over a week old.

Like being a sports fan, if you watch X Factor, BGT, etc and like to live-Tweet, then it's no good, but I can live with that!

I feel like I've regained so much more time with no TV. I used to switch on and sit in front of it all evening, now I'm more selective.

specialsubject Mon 02-Sep-13 18:39:00

you can tell Capita Tv licensing that you don't watch things live, and they generally will stop bothering you.

of course if too many people do this, no BBC.

MrsAMerrick Mon 02-Sep-13 21:23:13

We have an internet enables tv, so can watch live tv as usual, but also can switch it to iplayer, netflix, Youtube etc if we need to. It doesn't take up much room in the living room, no more than a monitor would, and it's fairly light so if necessary we plug it in elsewhere (we have aerial point in kitchen). Well, that's the theory but in practice we usually watch stuff in the kitchen via laptop....

Vivacia Tue 03-Sep-13 20:58:59

Why pay for something you don't need?
I pay for an awful lot of things I don't need. It's worth every penny of the £145.

valiumredhead Tue 03-Sep-13 21:07:05

But you don't need to pay for it? That's like paying extra for electricity 'because it's worth it'confused

It's not even a loophole our dodging the law-if you don't watch live TV then you don't need to buy a license.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now