Couples who both work FT...

(61 Posts)
VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 15:14:39

... and don't have a cleaner, how do you fit it all in?

melliebobs Fri 30-Aug-13 16:49:36

Kind of tidy as we go. When We wash up in an evening the kitchen gets a quick once over. When we've had a shower the toilet/sink/shower get a wipe down. Wen we go upstairs we try n take 2-3 things up with us. I try n quickly Hoover as soon as I get in before picking dd up from nursery. Otherwise anything major waits till the weekend. And as much as I hate it I've given up trying to keep the place spotless

VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 17:00:20

Yes Bonsoir I'm in France, I know it's tax reducible (we did used to have a cleaner) but I don't really want a cleaner because I'm convinced we can manage it ourselves <deluded> !

I'm trying to get everyone on board with the whole don't put it down, put it away mantra, and I'm going to succeed even if DH does things like gets a bottle of cold water out of the fridge to serve himself a glass, leaves bottle on the side, comes back 15 minutes later, does exactly the same thing with the second bottle <face palm>

blueshoes Fri 30-Aug-13 17:06:36

We have a live-in aupair who does 1.5 hours of cleaning a weekday, together with childcare. I don't have to clean at all. Seems to work well.

Want2bSupermum Fri 30-Aug-13 17:24:05

I wanted to come back on here and say that I know exactly where you are coming from. I think you have to really look hard at how you do things. Biggest change for DH and I is that we don't stop 'working' until everything is done. We do housework together or we wouldn't see eachother midweek.

Astr0naut Fri 30-Aug-13 18:01:41

we have a small house.

dh hoovers every night. bathroom done on sat morning. kitchen swished each night, washing done at wends.

dusting done when it looks a bit crap. I hate cleaning with a passion, but can no way afford a cleaner cos of nursery fees. besides, the house is so cluttered, there's no space to clean!

LadyMilfordHaven Fri 30-Aug-13 18:01:58

get a cleaner fgs

LadyMilfordHaven Fri 30-Aug-13 18:02:41

people clean the bath every time? christ

Want2bSupermum Fri 30-Aug-13 18:18:51

lady We clean the bath daily. It takes a minute to spray the cleaner on the bath tub, it does its work while DH brushes his teeth and then it's all rinsed away when the shower is turned on. If you do it everyday you don't have to scrub when you come to clean it once a week. We wipe the shower down (ie dry it) otherwise we get horrible limescale deposits.

I think my way takes far less time than doing a weekly clean.

LadyMilfordHaven Fri 30-Aug-13 18:25:54

wow. Are you very grimy? grin
I am the only one who bathes here so dont think its an issue probably

rubyslippers Fri 30-Aug-13 18:30:12

gawd get a cleaner

it will make your lives much easier

Daisybell1 Fri 30-Aug-13 18:53:53

This is really interesting. We do have a cleaner (2hrs a week) but I struggle to keep on top of things otherwise. OH works about 65hrs a week (but from home so he's around to mess it up) and I only do 26hrs a week, but we never get a weekend together (as he's working) to both get stuck in. DD is only 2 so is a bit too little to help, although she loves bleaching the carpet... hmm

Roasted - a LOVE your hanger suggestion!

Alanna1 Fri 30-Aug-13 19:06:45

Am I the only one amazed that a cleaner is tax deductible in france? Wow.

We have a cleaner. But even keeping on top of everything else is hard work. One of us puts kids to bed (bath-books-bed), the other zooms around. Then we stop when kids asleep and enjoy some time together. Means the kids' room only gets any serious attention at the weekend but at least adult space is returned everywhere else!

Ironing - only shirts, and our cleaner does those.

forevergreek Fri 30-Aug-13 19:17:35

Oh and we live minimalistic ( mostly)

So out of the 3 hours cleaner cleans, she will roughly do bedding/ hoovering and mopping/ bathroom for 1 1/2 Monday, then hoovering mopping/ kitchen/ clothes wash Friday 1 1/2. It helps that she's there for 3hrs though as will put washing in , start cooking, then sort floors out whilst stuff cooks for example

We Weren't sure we should get a cleaner either but the money we save by actually being able to fit in more work pays it back easily. Ie we might both work fri night from home rather than clean.

Really advise getting rid of clutter though, as we barely have anything else to do now. So a quick Hoover is quick as floors clear of stuff in the first place, and kitchen sides are clear so it's quick to wipe down

VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 19:50:42

I'd much rather spend the money on something fun though!

Basically here you pay a cleaner min 8€/hr, then you pay about 5€/hour to the state, then you get about 50% of the total back when you pay your tax.

olivo Fri 30-Aug-13 20:09:10

I'm really surprised at those saying 'just get. A cleaner'! They cost money! Me and DH both work full time, we have 2 children, and would love to have a cleaner but we can't afford one.

We do a bit each evening then blitz at the weekend, takes a couple of hours to be done properly.

Want2bSupermum Fri 30-Aug-13 20:19:41

I gave up with cleaners because it took too long to manage them properly. As to lady, your comment came across as rude. Not sure what your intent was.

With doing a bit each day and using things like wipes and paper towels it doesn't take long at all. Excluding the vacuum cleaner it costs us about $10 a week to keep our house clean. It would cost me about $200 to hire someone and the dishwasher would still need emptying, food cooking and the laundry put away.

VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 20:23:55

I am working through the clutter, but there is so much stuff that I want to keep but which doesn't have a home. I think I need to buy more storage. We have boxes and boxes of books in the attic and in the garage, but the two bookshelves are full already. Maybe I need to go to Ikea and pick up some cheap Billys.

Want2bSupermum Fri 30-Aug-13 20:38:27

In our house books are borrowed from the library for the children. Adult books are borrowed using ebooks only. So much easier as no late fees and no storage issues.

I have two of these bookcases for the children. Our Billy bookshelves have doors on them so contents don't need to be dusted and children can't climb them. I frosted the glass so you can't see the mess inside of them. smile

Want2bSupermum Fri 30-Aug-13 20:48:41

Alanna I think all domestic help and childcare costs employed by two income households should be fully deductible. The current system results in double taxation and I think it is a huge barrier to women progressing the workplace. I think if the UK changed to this system it would result in a lot more families getting the financial help they need. I have friends in London earning GBP100k and are bringing home about GBP10k a year after taxes and childcare costs for 2 children under 5.

VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 20:54:08

Living in France, library books tend to be in French, so we end up ordering them off Internet.
I like the idea of Billys with doors, just looked at the website, the doors are three times the price of the bookcase shock

My mum comes once a fortnight and does a big clean blush. We keep on top of it in between.

VikingVagine Fri 30-Aug-13 21:00:54

I don't know how families in England manage. We paid about €250 a month for DD when she was at the crèche (the amount you pay is calculated on your joint income; we were on about 40k back then I think). Then at the end of the year it's tax deductible, so although we didn't get any money back, it meant we had less tax to pay (in fact we didn't have any tax to pay, we got a rebate because we bought a house 4 years ago and yes, that's tax deductible too).

LadyMilfordHaven Fri 30-Aug-13 21:53:16

Get a kindle fgs. Bin the book clutter

SummerHoliDidi Fri 30-Aug-13 21:59:59

I employ dd1 (13) as our cleaner. She gets £10 per week for hoovering, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, and she also does the dishes twice a week. She's not as thorough as a proper cleaner would be and she moans about it , but she's cheaper and it means she doesn't have to get a paper round or ask us for money every time she wants to do anything with her mates.

I do the washing and drying of clothes (I don't iron unless it really needs it), mostly at the weekends. Dp does most of the cooking and the washing up that dd1 doesn't do. Dd2 (3) makes the mess and occasionally helps tidy her toys away. We do have lower standards than some people, which helps I think.

nulgirl Fri 30-Aug-13 22:12:04

Well in our household we both work f/t but my dh does all the cleaning and tidying. He starts and finishes work early so comes home and tidies/does some light cleaning then makes dinner. I tend to wash the clothes so will put on a load after the kids go to bed. At the weekend I will normally take the kids out for a couple of hours and he'll do some more intensive cleaning/ hoovering.

I know it sounds like my dh is my housekeeper but it works for us. Plays to our strengths - he does the house, I take the lead with the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now