Could you give me your no1 tip to keep clothes looking nice?

(60 Posts)
bigkidsdidit Mon 26-Aug-13 15:22:15

After being pregnant / bf / fat for four years I'm getting my act together. I'm finally clearing out my wardrobe and buying new stuff but for the first time ever I'm buying expensive stuff rather than half of new look. Trouble is I'm clearly not looking after my clothes properly now; my bra straps are grey, my jeans fade, my jumpers are bobbly.

Could you give me your tips on how to keep my new posh stuff looking nice?

Thanks smile

lucysmam Wed 28-Aug-13 16:45:19

placemark to come back & read later smile

YoniTime Wed 28-Aug-13 15:50:15

I thought the quick programs were simply shorter, for smaller loads or simply less dirty clothing?

betterwhenthesunshines Wed 28-Aug-13 14:38:08

Even if you can't choose your washing machine, try not to use the quick washes. Most people think quicker is better, but the machine has to rotate more vigorously and this is harder on your clothes ( according to my Miele repair man - my Miele has been going for 14 years now, with just one repair last year).

LoveSewingBee Tue 27-Aug-13 20:59:36

As Poltergoose mentioned, plus iron everything (well, what can be ironed of course).

Also, usespecial powderwith bleaching agent for whites or add a scoop of oxyvanish for whites. If stuff has stains, pretreat stains or add oxy canish (pink box).

Vivacia Tue 27-Aug-13 19:40:03

It's interesting to read about wearing clothes for longer between washing. I'm sure I've read that dirtier clothes wear out quicker.

Brilliant thread though everyone.

MrsHoarder Tue 27-Aug-13 18:21:57

Clothes dried outside smell nicer and dry quicker than those dried inside. Minimal no-frills detergent, hang up on a peg to air before deciding whether or not to wash anything except socks and underwear, shake and fold rather than iron where possible (more ironing, more wear).

Separate colours religiously. Dh's whites before he met me were rather grey, now they're as white as mine.

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 27-Aug-13 18:02:46

I avoid ironing by hanging up most things, or folding nicely. Ironing wrecks some clothes. Agree about tumble dryers, sometimes I put mine in the tumble for a soften up for ten mins if they have gone stiff on the line in too hot weather.

bigkidsdidit Tue 27-Aug-13 18:01:38

Ive not bought anything yet but have two cardigans in my Brora online basket smile

napkin Tue 27-Aug-13 17:55:50

I wish my clothes lasted a year or two before wearing out!!!

Idespair Tue 27-Aug-13 17:18:17

Washing does damage clothes. Wear clothes more than once before washing to cut down the number of washes.

I usually wear cheap clothes anyway so if they are wrecked after a year or two, I just recycle and replace with something equally cheap.

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 17:15:12

I think the technical term might be "freshening up". Mine hangs by the front door and I'm likely to whisk the brush over my person as I'm running out of the house. It also extends the time between soul, wallet and clothes destroying trips to the dry-cleaners.

OP Your tweed coat will think it's Christmas. And, while I'm here, I meant to say that in addition to all the excellent advice above, you need to invest in a brilliant iron and a really good ironing board. I find if your tools are helpful and you don't dread using them it's much easier to keep up day to day clothes maintenance.

What have you bought by the way??

flatfootcontessa Tue 27-Aug-13 17:06:08

I use a pumice stone to debobble. I find it quite good.

bigkidsdidit Tue 27-Aug-13 17:04:06

I've never used One either. Will buy one now, I have a lovely tweed coat.

YoniTime Tue 27-Aug-13 16:56:51

Yes I'm serious! So you use them for de-bobbling and getting rid of dirt?

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 16:45:20

Yoni <seriously?>

Well.... I've just noticed that on the website they say the shorter bristle side can be used for "brushing dirt from trouser hems." hmm The instructions used to be that the shorter bristles were for de-bobbling of wool items.

If you (or Dp / Dcs) wear a lot of old-school suits a good clothes brush will probably save you the price of a new suit over a few years. In fact they're good for all lovely old fashioned fabrics - cord, velvet, tweed, wool crepe. (My past life....)

I guess people use them less now. sad

MrsApplepants Tue 27-Aug-13 16:32:22

Oh those brushes are brilliant, I've got one too and use it very often.

YoniTime Tue 27-Aug-13 16:23:31

What do you use the brush for Something? <has never used one>

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 15:43:06

Years ago - when I started my first proper post graduation job - I splashed out on a Burberry trench coat. Black wool. I reasoned that my extravagant purchase would need an equally stupendous brush. So I bought one of these. It was £18 in 1989!

The coat didn't last. I still possess, use and love that clothes brush. I would even say it gives me confidence when I'm buying good clothes because I know I'll be able to look after them properly.

bishboschone Tue 27-Aug-13 15:28:17

I have a Bosch but honestly can't see why difference it makes . It's more to do with which detergent and how you sort clothes.

napkin Tue 27-Aug-13 12:10:53

The op's who have a Bosch washing machine, what models do you have please?

bishboschone Tue 27-Aug-13 08:50:27

With lights , the blue should be colour fast but the dark from other things in a dark wash will taint the white .

bigkidsdidit Tue 27-Aug-13 06:32:25

How would I wash something like a Breton top?

IfIonlyhadsomesleep Mon 26-Aug-13 23:00:48

Definitely separate colours well. I do brights, darks, pales and whites. Friend was bemoaning greyibg pale things the other day and it turns out she just does dark and light loads.

LovePotatoes Mon 26-Aug-13 22:12:59

Brilliant advice. I never ever thought about how i wash my clothes until now!!! Brilliant question op

bishboschone Mon 26-Aug-13 22:07:12

I put my washing out all year round . As long as there is wind and it's dry then it will dry . Make a space in your airing cupboard to warm them up after a day outside if they are a touch damp .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now