Bolognese stains on white linen shorts

(17 Posts)
nappyaddict Fri 23-Aug-13 17:30:55

Anyone got experience with removing bolognese stains? I have tried vanish liquid, vanish powder, ace liquid and washing up liquid.

nappyaddict Fri 23-Aug-13 17:33:03

Oh and that ariel powder stain remover.

InternationalPower Fri 23-Aug-13 17:38:46

Hang them to dry in direct sunlight. My sister recommended it to me and I was so excited by the magic when it worked, I actually phoned a friend to tell her all about it blush

nappyaddict Fri 23-Aug-13 19:04:10

I was worried about letting the stain dry in case it set the stain. Perhaps it is just tumble drying that sets stains?

InternationalPower Fri 23-Aug-13 19:35:10

I think it's washing that sets the stain, but the sun will/does bleach out organic stains (like tomato sauce)

Haveanotherbiscuit Sat 24-Aug-13 23:01:50

Second leaving on the line in rain and sun. I do this with any tomato or curry stain. Works brilliantly

nappyaddict Sat 24-Aug-13 23:14:18

oh typical nearly pegged washing out today but didnt have time. thought it was lucky cos it tipped it down all day but turns out i should have!

Weelady77 Sun 25-Aug-13 21:43:47

I agree with hanging in sunlight it works wonders, I also put a bit neary fairy liquid on before I wash smile

Piffpaffpoff Sun 25-Aug-13 21:46:34

Another thumbs up for washing then hang it in sunlight. I discovered this by accident, which is how all my most useful household tips seem to come about!

MousyMouse Sun 25-Aug-13 21:51:18

wash with bio powder + oxi stuff (napisan is good for that). not too hot as not to set the stain.
agree with others reg the sunlight, magic stuff.
if the shorts don't have metal parts you can also soak in bleach before washing (instructions are on the bottle).

nailslikeknives Sun 25-Aug-13 21:58:19

How big is the stain? Could try Milton. Use it to soak cotton wool ball or bud depending on size of stain then dab onto stain. Watch it the whole time. It should fade, apply a bit more and it should fade again, etc etc. BUT as soon as it hits the right shade or the stain looks to have gone, bung it in the washing machine pronto and wash as normal.
I do this all the time on our whites and it's great for biro, grass, tomato, red wine etc.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 25-Aug-13 22:01:05

Just peg it out.

Bright sunlight, rain, overcast whatever.

chicaguapa Sun 25-Aug-13 22:02:20

White Wonder from Lakeland will get out Bolognese stains. You have to really work it into the fabric, but it should get it out after a wash.

primallass Sun 25-Aug-13 22:25:51

Definitely sunlight. It got rid of a Heinz tomato soup stain from DD's school dress last week.

nappyaddict Tue 27-Aug-13 01:20:20

Will get some Milton and Napisan - thanks for the tips. Is there a stain devil for tomoto based stains?

nappyaddict Tue 27-Aug-13 01:24:20

There is for anyone else that might be reading this thread looking for tips too.

NoComet Tue 27-Aug-13 01:24:57

Yes sunshine, but they must be wet and they may need to be got wet and dried a second time if it's hot.

UV breaks down tomato beautifully not sure why being wet helps, but it speeds up the magic and it is magic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now