Black mould on seals around bath

(21 Posts)

How do I get rid of it?!? We have an above-bath shower, and we tend to shower more than use the bath (DS is too small to go in the bath by his self), so the edge of the bath in the corner is just pure BLACK. It's been like this since we moved into our rented flat, and no matter how much I clean it never goes away, and if anything, it gets worse! I've tried using bathroom cleaner, Cillit Bang and bleach, but nothing works. Will anything get rid of it or will I need to get the landlord to re-seal the bath?

TheWave Fri 23-Aug-13 11:53:47

Ooh yes we're struggling with this. Have got some crud off with an old battery operated toothbrush and bleach type cleaner and now thinking of resealing. Any tips on what sealant from anyone else? They vary in price - is a special bathroom one needed? Worth paying extra for anti-mould ingredients?

GetStuffezd Fri 23-Aug-13 11:55:06

When I moved in my house there was loads of this. I bought this Dettol mould remover (green bottle) and left it on for an hour (as opposed to 5 minutes stated) and after doing this for 3 consecutive days it's pretty gleaming.

Frontdoorstep Fri 23-Aug-13 16:24:23

I have this around the base of my shower unit. I bleached it which helped a bit, the scrubbed with a toothbrush, then repeated this a few times over a month or so and it isn't perfect but very much better.

Going to try to keep it clean with frequent bleaching.

JoinYourPlayfellows Fri 23-Aug-13 16:27:31

Oooh, thanks GetStuffed.

DH has been periodically resealing our bath to get rid of this stuff.

GetStuffezd Fri 23-Aug-13 16:39:01

Oh and I didn't even do any scrubbing - just splashed it away with the shower head!

Meatyfeet Fri 23-Aug-13 23:25:46

HG mould spray. It's brilliant.

MrsS1980 Fri 23-Aug-13 23:33:59

Try soaking some cotton wool balls with the HG mould spray, press them into the affected area and leave overnight. This stops the solution just running down the side of the bath or shower.

scrazy Fri 23-Aug-13 23:45:34

I have this and have the dettol mould a mildew remover (green bottle) will soak it tomorrow overnight.

cariadmawr Fri 23-Aug-13 23:54:35

Am using vanish mould remover on shower for this spraying on and leaving overnight much better after usibg twice .

Monty27 Fri 23-Aug-13 23:59:00

A battle here with it too. Thanks for the tip about the Dettol GS I've bought it too but it doesn't seem to work that well, but I probably haven't left it on long enough.

I find that drying around as much as you can tolerate after a shower does help. I think it's dormant water that feeds the mould.

CHUMMUM Sat 24-Aug-13 00:05:11

I had this & read online to soak toilet roll in bleach push onto mould, leave overnight, or even 24 hours. Peel off and it is gone!!!
Worked fantastic on ours that had been like it for years, I had already purchased some silicone removing stuff ready to reseal!!
grin grin grin

Cloudkitten Sat 24-Aug-13 00:16:32

I use a lot of neat bleach and just leave it for at least a good hour or so. No scrubbing with a toothbrush until it's had chance to work for a good while, this just brushes the bleach off. I've been told Jeyes fluid is good too, and kills the spores off for quite a while. Remember that good ventilation is essential when using any kind of chemicals even basic household ones like bleach.

However the black is caused in the first place by a lack of ventilation. Is there an extractor fan in the bathroom? If so you should use it every single time. If not then at least have the window open to let the steam out but this is nowhere near as effective as an extractor. If you do have an extractor fan but still get the black mould it's possible the fan is not working correctly or has broken (whilst still making a fan noise). Please though if you do have one, switch it on - they are properly effective, that's what they are there for.

If no fan then I would mention this and the black mould to the landlord and let them deal with it.

scrazy Sun 25-Aug-13 11:41:16

CHUMMUM, thank you for that tip. I did this last night and it works grin.

scrazy Sun 25-Aug-13 11:41:45

CHUMMUM, thank you for that tip. I did this last night and it works grin.

scrazy Sun 25-Aug-13 11:42:03

Oops!

Brilliant! I'll give the toilet roll bleach a try tonight smile

Monty27 Mon 26-Aug-13 01:38:36

I put the dettol spray on all night and it WORKED! So much for their instructions confused

Thank you vipers smile

holidaysarenice Mon 26-Aug-13 02:08:31

Another vote for dettol mould and mildew, just open the window it stinks!!

Fifi2406 Thu 29-Aug-13 12:44:07

Ahh mine has been the same since I moved in and I can't get rid off to try bleach and dettol!

RenterNomad Thu 29-Aug-13 12:55:26

I think it's worth resealing with proper mould-resistant stuff. If it's a rented flat, chances are that it was done cheaply either by a LL not intending to live there (or ripped off by tradesperson, who knew LL not living there to find out) or a tenant replacing to avoid deductions from the deposit - again, no incentive to do it properly.

If you do it yourself now, you'll benefit from it and the problem will be sorted, without endless scrubbing and use of harsh chemicals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now