New washing machine

(29 Posts)

Following on from my thrilling thread yesterday, I now need a new washing machine. Last time I wandered around Currys and just went - that'll do.

This time I am choosing properly. So what do I want?

Do 8kg drums actually cope with a heavier load? Do they have quicker washes these days - my old 40 cycle took 2 hrs shock

Do I need at least 1400 spin? Anything else to consider? Budget is more Aldi than Waitrose.

PigletJohn Wed 11-Sep-13 14:14:14

you may find that a 60C cotton wash is faster than a 40C cotton, and will be great for whites and towels.

but prob to hot for polycottons or synthetics

it has got a thirty minutes quick wash but I have a week's worth of washing to catch up with that needs washing properlysmile turned the spin down to 1200 and it's not come out very wet so I am pleased so far.
delivery side was fab, had email last night with one hr delivery slot and a phone call ten minutes before it arrived this am way too early at 0800

PigletJohn Wed 11-Sep-13 12:08:59

Has it got a quick wash option?

Cooler washes are often slower than hotter ones, because cool water does not wash so well.

Cotton will stand a hot wash which will also keep the machine cleaner as it dissolves soap better.

It is spookily quiet.

This 40deg cottons cycle is going to take 3 hours shock

I bought the 9kg Hotpoint from the Co-op in the end, just arrived today so first load is in now.

It is really quiet so far (not got to the spin yet)

It has loads of programmes and you can adjust the spin and the max temp each time too. It has a baby cycle? Not quite sure what that does confused will have to have a look through all the booklet.

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 09-Sep-13 07:54:15

I just bought an 8kg Miele and I am in love with it - it is amazing. It has loads of options for washes (temp, spin etc) and is almost silent.

cashmiriana Sun 08-Sep-13 19:37:22

Can I be really cheeky and hop in here and ask you some more questions? Apologies if a new thread would have been better etiquette (just tell me... )

My wonderful 11 year old dual drum Dyson washing machine is slowly giving up the ghost. It's been repaired a few times but Dyson stopped making them, and then last year withdrew the parts and engineer service (as compensation they sent a substantial money off voucher - £150 - for Comet, just before it went bust. Great...)

I have read this thread through and although I would love a Bosch - have had one before - I don't have the funds for one, so am probably looking at a Hotpoint. What I can't tell from the online specs is whether you have total freedom to put together your own programmes e.g. select temp, fabric type, spin speed etc individually or whether you have to use set programmes. Can anyone help me out? I tend to use very short washes at low temps if possible but have 2 DDs in white school shirts, and a fair amount of grubby PE, gym, trampolining and dance kit that needs 'help'. Some idea of the extent and flexibility of the programmes would be fab, thank you.

napkin Sun 08-Sep-13 13:57:19

Sounds good smile

Molecule Sat 07-Sep-13 17:02:04

Napkin, it's an S12.38. 8kg load and 1400 spin which seems adequate to me. It probably gets grossly overloaded, as does my Miele dryer, but never complains. Very simple to use as well, only has programmes you actually want to use, including a pretty good 15 minute wash, and excellent wool ones. I love it.

napkin Sat 07-Sep-13 16:04:07

Hotpoint are not that great anymore.

napkin Sat 07-Sep-13 16:03:10

Hotpoint are not that great anymore.

2old2beamum Sat 07-Sep-13 15:38:56

We have just bought a Hotpoint Aqualtis 11k machine large family.
Problem takes nearly 2 hours for a wash 1400 spin washing comes out like rags-----duvet and pillow cases need ironing eeeeek

napkin Sat 07-Sep-13 14:55:56

What Siemens model have you got Molecule? Looking at the Siemens machines myself.

PigletJohn Sat 07-Sep-13 10:54:06

Bosch, or Miele if you can afford it.

Molecule Sat 07-Sep-13 10:20:19

I have a Siemens and it's the best I've ever had, and I've had a lot, most lasting 18 months. It replaced a John Lewis one that died whilst under warranty, and so far (3.5 years) has never had a problem. Its washes take around 1 hour 20 mins (cotton at 40degC), much shorter for synthetics, and I love it. Family of 6, so it works really hard, esp as we live on a farm so clothes are properly dirty.

JKSLtd Sat 07-Sep-13 10:15:34

Just bought a hotpoint - 8kg futura, very happy so far, loving the bigger drum.

No idea about spin speed stuff. Cost me 330.

I'm still here and still not bought one smile

www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Hotpoint-WML940P-9kg-1400-Spin-Washing-Machine-in-White/id-HOT-WSH-WML940P-W#!prettyPhoto
9kg and 1400 spin for £280 looks pretty good to me, any thoughts?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 28-Aug-13 10:12:15

forgo to say the new one is an indesit.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 28-Aug-13 10:11:46

I've not long ago replaced my old 6kg hotpoint with a new one. I got 8kg and I can fit so much in it. it has really saved me a few loads a week. longest cycle is over 3hours but shortest is 20min. so it really has a good variety of cycle lengths. it's a 1400 spin and us very quiet smile

Weelady77 Sun 25-Aug-13 21:48:56

I've had loads of washing machines and the best by far is my Bosch! Touch wood never had a problem with it in 4 years! Family of 5 and at least 2/3 washings a day smile

duchesse Fri 23-Aug-13 17:40:57

We have a new 9 kg Samsung eco-bubble and so far it is pleasing. The 40C cycle takes 1 h 46 mn

Floralnomad Fri 23-Aug-13 17:32:31

I have an 8kg LEG direct drive , you pick a programme and then can adjust spin / temp etc to suit . Its only 1200 spin but TBH I do lots on 1000 and its plenty dry enough . The quick wash is about 40 minutes .

nappyaddict Fri 23-Aug-13 17:29:04

I would never get less than 8kg 1600 spin nowadays.

I will have a look at Appliances Online for browsing, I am hoping to buy from JL as I like their guarantees/customer service. Don't want a washer-dryer though, just bought a dryer at Christmas.

Although I think I only ever used occasional quick wash, 40 wash and occasional 60.

Vivacia Fri 23-Aug-13 13:42:19

We've just got a Candy CDB754D/1. Firstly, it's our first washer dryer, and the drying option is great (think it will be even better in winter). Secondly, the programme options are great. I don't know about you, but with our old one we just got in to the habit of using the same programme for everything. I love the candy's options to do with spin speed, level of soiling and temperature of water.

We did our research on Appliances Online, first filtering using their menu and then comparing our final 3 side-by-side. Also did this with the other appliances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now