Bleach Vs. Disinfectant

(10 Posts)
AugustaCarp Mon 19-Aug-13 13:10:49

When do you use which?

Jan49 Mon 19-Aug-13 14:02:06

Bleach - never.

Disinfectant - when cleaning toilet (diluted). Sometimes down plug holes. Sometimes diluted as floor cleaner for vinyl. I also use a disinfectant spray for work surfaces, door handles, wiping remote controls when someone is infectious.

PolterGoose Mon 19-Aug-13 19:03:54

Don't use either for general household cleaning, bleach is unnecessary and disinfectant smells foul smile

The only bleach I use is occasional Flash spray with bleach for grouting and HG mould remover when I remove any wallpaper in my old damp house.

Weelady77 Mon 19-Aug-13 21:02:14

Bleach for toilet everyday, will put down drains too every now and then, will also scrub the bathroom with it once a week

Use dettol to wash floors and to damp wipe furniture once a week

Vivacia Mon 19-Aug-13 21:22:11

Disinfectant never. Bleach around the toilet pan most days.

echt Tue 20-Aug-13 10:18:24

Apparently the prob with bleach is in the production rather than the result.

Upside, bacteria have no resistance to bleach. Ever. Or soap. What matters as much with hygiene is the drying. Wet hands, wet surfaces: you might as well not bother washing in the first place.

Anti-bacterials only kill 99% of household bacteria, leaving the rest to grow and resist the anti-bac sprays. Anti-bac shite is the work of the devil. Unless the anti-bac is a prescription medicine, it does not get into our house.

Hot water, non-bacterial cleaner will do the trick.

Keep cloths clean. I have new tea-towels/scrubby things/counter cloths every day. They're kept in a string snag in the laundry and boiled with bleach when the bag is full.

Elsiequadrille Tue 20-Aug-13 10:21:28

Bleach for the loo and the kitchen sink.

Disinfectant for mopping some of the floors.

wonkylegs Tue 20-Aug-13 12:46:48

Disinfectant - only used when nasty vomiting bug was doing the rounds.
Bleach - once a week/fortnight in the loos.
& on mould in the shower.

specialsubject Tue 20-Aug-13 21:48:00

no bleach down pipes - we have a septic tank.
cleaning with Jif and not water. Occasional anti-bac spray if there's been raw meat juice spilled or similar.

AdoraBell Wed 21-Aug-13 03:15:01

I don't use bleach. Disinfectant on kitchen and bathroom floors and for wiping surfaces etc if we've had stomach bugs. OH would use bleach everywhere everyday and loves a bit of antibacterial shit. Unfortunately I haven't found a disinfectant that isn't antibacterial here. I keep looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now