How do I get out a yellow sunscreen stain from my favourite white top?

(12 Posts)

It's around the collar and top of the arms sad

I tried bleaching it last night and it turned the stain red! Now what?

I think I should have messaged here, before attempting the bleach. Is it beyond saving now?

CorrieDale Mon 19-Aug-13 06:59:25

No idea I'm afraid but I'd also like to know.

Rooners Mon 19-Aug-13 07:30:50

Oh why don't they warn you on the bottle sad

Boots 'Once' for children, I am looking at YOU.

Some of the nicest baby clothes now have great yellow stains on, I am really really cross about this.

I was using P20 as I was camping and out in it all day with fair skin sad

cookielove Mon 19-Aug-13 07:39:47

One of the parents I work with swears by napisan. She soaks the garments then washes then hangs out to dry!
Good luck smile

valiumredhead Mon 19-Aug-13 07:59:51

We use p20 and weirdly it only stains certain materials ime. I seem to remember reading on here you should use lemon juice then dry it in the sun, then wash as normal.

Rooners Mon 19-Aug-13 08:22:26

I just tried nappisan on some stained polo shirts -not sun cream, but still it had zero effect sadly.

Lemon juice might be worth a try.

PigletJohn Mon 19-Aug-13 08:34:44

I don't know about sunscreen in particular, but I think this will be an oil msrk.

Cooking oil and grease from oily skin will do it.

The oil turns yellow as it oxidises over time. A hot hot wash with powder will get grease out, though some fabrics will not stand it. Pre-wash laundry sprays help.

Oil goes gummy then hardens into a varnish as it oxidises, as well as drying yellow (look at oiled wood floors and worktops) so is much harder to remove.

A dry cleaner might be able to treat it.

valiumredhead Mon 19-Aug-13 08:44:18

Have you tried neat fairy liquid?

bulby Mon 19-Aug-13 08:46:26

The red stains you get when bleaching the sun tan lotion go when you dry the clothes, unfortunately you'll still have some yellow staining though.

Elmofan Mon 19-Aug-13 10:47:58

I had a thread recently about how to get curry sauce out of Sloppy Dh's white shirt grin the fairy liquid rubbed in & hung out in the sunshine worked for me smile and I've had to do it twice now with the same shirt <glares at sloppy Dh> wink

Ok. I'll try some of these below. Thanks ladies and piglet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now