How/where do you store your medicines?

(12 Posts)
Daisybell1 Sun 18-Aug-13 21:48:10

OH and his family have always kept medicines in a tiny kitchen cupboard. I'm used to keeping them in the bedroom, and my mum keeps hers in her wardrobe.

Can you tell me where you keep yours? And if you have any nifty storage solutions? I've currently grouped all ours by ailment type using a random selection of tupperware however I'm struggling to fit everything in...

mrsyattering Sun 18-Aug-13 21:52:20

top cupboard in the kitchen in tupperware....has spread a bit since having kids, calpol in both loo caninets

MousyMouse Sun 18-Aug-13 21:52:21

high up in a kitchen cupboard. away from any heat/steam source.
in assorted plastic boxes.
out of the way/sight of the dc but easily accessible for (tall) adults.

rubyrubyruby Sun 18-Aug-13 21:55:21

Utility room cupboard

Daisybell1 Sun 18-Aug-13 21:57:53

Thanks, having done some reading up, it seems that kitchen is recommended over bathroom due to moisture. I think I may need to look at some internal shelves to make the most of space inside (we have a massive medicine collection as OH is a farmer so there's a huge array of first aid stuff, just in case he chops his leg off... hmm

wonkylegs Sun 18-Aug-13 22:25:31

I have a vast array of medicines thanks to a life long medical condition. Some of them are real nasties so we got this
it's lockable & quite large so takes a far bit - 3 shelves in cupboard and further shelves in door.
We had it on the wall in our downstairs loo in old house. New house it's going in utility room.

Jan49 Sun 18-Aug-13 22:51:30

When I had a young child, I kept medicines in a lockable tool box with a padlock on and I kept the box on top of the kitchen cabinets. First aid stuff that wasn't a safety issue for small children was in a box with drawers. Now I keep first aid stuff loose in a kitchen cupboard and the medicines high up in case anyone with small dc visits.

QuiteOldGal Mon 19-Aug-13 07:43:26

We put a little plastic unlocked first aid cupboard - quite cheap, plastic, green cross on front from somewhere like B and Q I think, on wall in utility for aspirins, cough mixture etc. Plasters, bandage etc sit on top in small plastic box

DHs daily prescription, and hay fever tablets in summer, he keeps handy in the kitchen cupboard.

We do not have small children though, if we did it would be more secure.

MadeOfStarDust Mon 19-Aug-13 07:49:08

We have a box of calpol melts and a bottle of antihistamine tucked away at the top of a kitchen cupboard, and a pack of plasters somewhere... oh - and there's a first aid kit in the car boot with dressings and stuff that is supposed to make you feel "capable" in an accident(unopened - and everything is probably wayyyyy out of date)

Do folks without a medical condition need a medicine cupboard?

paperclipsarebetterthanstaples Mon 19-Aug-13 07:59:41

Mine are in zipped lunch bags from dotcomgiftshop - with a mini padlock on as DS is a bugger for climbing! I've got 1 for adult stuff and 1 for DS' calpol etc.

Indith Mon 19-Aug-13 08:15:31

In the bathroom in a locked beauty box that I managed to get on offer for damaged packaging and was therefore a fraction of the price of a locked medicine box. Everything is in there, bottles of calpol/ibuprofen at the bottom, bandages, plasters etc and adult paracetamol on the trays. Box is on a high shelf and kept locked due to small children.

PolterGoose Mon 19-Aug-13 19:07:47

Stuff that gets used a lot (Calpol, antihistamines, paracetomol) in bathroom cabinet. Everything else in a newly purchased wooden box

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now