Flies, yuck

(10 Posts)
YoniBottsBumgina Sat 17-Aug-13 22:50:20

They keep appearing in my house, I can't seem to get rid of them. I think they are breeding somewhere because they are coming in batches. I kill or chase out all of the ones I can see but then more come, one or two at a time, and then I will walk into a room and there are about five of the fuckers.

I killed about ten the other day, last night was jumping about on the landing trying to whack them with a newspaper and nearly fell down the stairs, woke DS up with my banging and then set the smoke alarm off with fly spray!

I thought it was the drains but have been bleaching and boiling water-ing them and it's not seemed to stop them. It might have slowed them down, but I might be imagining that! The only thing that is making me still think about this is that my kitchen sink empties into an outside drain right outside the window which is disgusting and frequently smells, and I wonder if my bleaching and hot water efforts in the actual plughole itself just aren't cutting it with the bigger drain. And plus, I don't know where else they might be coming from.

They don't look like drain flies when I google. They are big and fat and black, bluebottles I think? I can't find any maggots anywhere, have taken bin bags out, recycling box etc. They seem to congregate most commonly in the kitchen, near this big window where the drain is outside and the sink is close to. Under that is a washing machine & dishwasher which are too heavy for me to move, but there may be potentially something behind there - I can't smell anything obviously decaying, though.

Help! How do I find out where they are coming from and kill them?

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 17-Aug-13 22:52:14

Forgot to add I have become very anal about clearing away leftover food so it's not that they are attracted to either.

Could there be a dead bird or rodent somewhere?

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 17-Aug-13 22:56:40

I don't think so, we don't have a cat and I would have noticed the smell I would have thought? I suppose it's not impossible something might have crawled in and died but again, wouldn't the smell be noticeable?

I was more thinking under something?

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 19-Aug-13 10:38:23

Well <touch wood> they seem to have gone, but what do you mean?

123bucklemyshoe Mon 19-Aug-13 10:45:11

Have you got a chimney? We had this problem last year from a bird that had got stuck & then died. Had to get chimney sweep out. Hope you get it sorted soon - v icky

123bucklemyshoe Mon 19-Aug-13 10:45:39

Btw was no smell

Mummyoftheyear Mon 19-Aug-13 14:40:15

Electric tennis bats. The business!
Cruel but effective
Check this out on AMZN: The ExecutionerTM Fly Swat Wasp Bug Mosquito Swatter Zapper
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MU2MJA

Mummyoftheyear Mon 19-Aug-13 14:40:33

I usually use it on wasps and bees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now