Help me please before I ruin my bathroom...

(15 Posts)

Ok, I have a brand new shiny (very!) bathroom with dark expensive tiles, dark grout and lots of expensive chrome taps etc. and am about to admit that I have no idea how to keep it nice!

It is starting to look a bit 'lived in' despite me cleaning with my normal method bathroom cleaner. It doesn't get the watermarks off the chrome or most of the white (limescale?) marks off the dark tiles and dark grouting.

I have been reading about limescale removers and see you shouldn't use them on chrome fittings. How about dark grout?

Help, please, someone?!

Weelady77 Sat 17-Aug-13 22:20:15

After you clean dry off with dry cloth or I use blue roll (bit like kitchen roll)

Nagoo Sat 17-Aug-13 22:22:17

yy dry with microfibre cloth.

Thanks.

So, should my Method cleaner be OK and I just need more elbow grease (and microfibre cloths?)

Feel ashamed to ask this as I have always lived in rented accommodation with basic white bathrooms I could use anything on!

Haveanotherbiscuit Sun 18-Aug-13 11:11:30

I bought a window squeegee thing that I keep on the side of the bath. Before I get out of the shower I se it to get the water off the tiles. It stops the lime scale from building and keeps them shiny.

SEWannabe Sun 18-Aug-13 12:46:20

To keep the chrome taps/towel rails etc clean, wipe with a damp cloth, then spray some vinegar on and buff.
Works like a charm smile
Also works well on tiles and glass.

DoItTooJulia Sun 18-Aug-13 12:57:24

Microfibres cloths....the more expensive the better I'm afraid.

Also every now and again, oil your Crome. Bog standard veg oil will work and buff it up. Honest.

DoItTooJulia Sun 18-Aug-13 12:58:01

Bloody autocorrect. Chrome. Chrome. Chrome.

Thanks all. I squeegee the shower glass so can do tiles too. Good tip Heaven.

SEW, can I use bog standard vinegar or do I need white vinegar (no clue!)

DoIt, never heard of oiling the chrome. Will give it a go....

SEWannabe Sun 18-Aug-13 13:52:44

Yes, bog standard malt vinegar from the food cupboards is fine.
Stinks to high heaven for 5 mins, but the smell evaporates as it dries. I normally put 100mls of it in the bottom of a spray bottle, and fill with water. Then give it a good shake, and hey presto!

Great. And that is ok on chrome and my tiles (what does it do to dark grout do you know?)

Thanks again. I felt foolish asking!

Vivacia Sun 18-Aug-13 15:04:57

Should be ok if it's actual chrome (and not a film layer). Google first?

I use microfibre cloths and vinegar solution around the bathroom and a Karcher on the shower screen and tiles. After cleaning I dry off around the shower head and taps 'cos we live in a hard water area. I clean the bathroom every morning after everyone's used the bathroom. During the day, if I have nothing better to do I buff up the taps and towel warmer.

Oh, the Hansgrohe website says not to use microfibre cloths..... What.....?

SEWannabe Sun 18-Aug-13 17:25:06

If you cant use microfibre (how strange!!), then use a normal tea towel and just make sure you buff it a bit harder, it'll be fine smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 18-Aug-13 21:47:06

Or fit a water softener.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now