Why does my toilet stink?

(12 Posts)
Leviticus Sat 17-Aug-13 16:38:01

It's so, so grim hmm

All of a sudden there is a stench of stale urine from inside the bowl, more from the front (I've had my face closer than I'd have liked - boak). I can't see any damage and it was new in 2008.

I recently swapped bleach for Ecover toilet cleaner. Could it be that not doing the job?

I've currently got the seat off soaking in a bath full of flash but I'm sure it's not the seat.

Any ideas?

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 17-Aug-13 16:40:36

I like Ecover, but TBH nothing like bleach for doing the job. grin

DTisMYdoctor Sat 17-Aug-13 22:36:21

Are you giving under the rim a good clean?

onepieceoflollipop Sat 17-Aug-13 22:37:59

Possibly the flush is missing a bit so there is a build up. Try sloshing some extra water round that area after cleaning it. I also find toilet cleaners less effective than bleach.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 17-Aug-13 22:39:42

Any chance that wee has trickled down the outside and soaked into the floor covering/gap between the pan and floor?

mrspaddy Sat 17-Aug-13 22:59:10

Bleach is your friend here

Leviticus Sun 18-Aug-13 00:05:44

I've done some further investigations and DT and lollipop you are right. The flush misses the front bit so doesn't clean under the rim there. Does that mean there's a plumbing problem or is that normal?

I got my gloves on and pushed a bleach-soaked j cloth up as far as I could go. It came back covered in vile brown sludge! blushblushblush

I feel like such a tramp but I clean my loo all the time! I've squeezed an entire bottle of bleach very firmly up there since. Fingers crossed...

valiumredhead Sun 18-Aug-13 00:17:28

You need bleach for toiletsgrin

Leviticus Sun 18-Aug-13 08:54:38

Yes I think you're right. I was trying to be a bit more environmentally friendly after reading on here about the evils of bleach.

Frontdoorstep Sun 18-Aug-13 11:56:56

I think that if the toilet smells, the flush misses the front bit, you removed all that brown sludge , all from a toilet that you clean all the time, thn tbh, no amount of bleach (or anything else for that matter) is going to help and you need a plumber to look at what is wrong.

PigletJohn Sun 18-Aug-13 18:31:29

Assuming you are in an area that gets limescale, if you put Parazone Bleach Blocks in the cistern, they will slowly dissolve the limescale in the cistern, and also around the waterways under the rim, which will improve the coverage of the flush.

bloo, scented, yellow, green cisten blocks don't do this.

take a photo inside the cistern the day you drop the first one in, and again each month when you sdd a new one, and observe the difference.

I know of no other way of descaling the rim.

DTisMYdoctor Sun 18-Aug-13 19:39:36

Leviticus - I have had a similar experience in the past. It was vile! I clean my loo all the time too, I promise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now