My house has got a bit out of control, and I am feeling overwhelmed. Could do with a kick up the bum!

(113 Posts)
MrsNouveauRichards Wed 14-Aug-13 08:41:56

What with one thing and another, our house has got out of control - summer holidays lack of routine, going on a camping trip (lots of stuff down from the loft) a nearly three year old, also known as the Taz (the tazmanian devil) and kind of giving up caring tbh.

It has been a slow decline since the youngest was born (nearly 3yrs ago) and it has almost reached crisis point. It affects my mood, I find myself losing my temper because I am tripping over stuff all the time.

I have set a day for a trip to the tip (friday) I am in the house all afternoon today waiting on a delivery, I plan on wearing the kids out this morning and then setting them up with a film this afternoon and tackling the house.

But the problem is I don't know where to start, I know one afternoon is not going to fix it, but it will be a good start.

I have no excuse really, no bereavement, no illness, no depression. Just struggling to keep up with two kids and becoming lazy when I have some peace and quiet.

MrsNouveauRichards Tue 27-Aug-13 16:17:48

10 mins done. Excellent way to get me off my arse!

Dishy emptied and reloaded
Washing up bowl emptied, cleaned and filled with hot water
Breakfast bowls into disk (yes, I know!)

Next,
put something on telly for kids
Washload on
Empty draining board
Do washing up
Wipe down sides

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 29-Aug-13 08:29:46

Exactly one week of the hols left. I have pretty much all the stuff I planned to achieve over the summer left to do - bugger.

Anyway, I am determined to use this time to get sorted. DH has a couple of days off next week, so instead of going camping, we are staying at home and getting some jobs done instead, with just one day out.

I'll be back at 9.30am with the following done:

Up and dressed
Washing out
Another load in the machine
Kids dressed
Beds made

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 29-Aug-13 09:32:22

DONE
Up and dressed
Washing out
Another load in machine
DS's pooey clothes off soak and rinsed out before going in machine (oh the glamour of parenthood!)
Sink and soak bucket bleached
Beds made

Kids are in the process of getting dressed and tidying up toys. I am staying calm and asking them to put away specific things, rather than the usual "This place is a mess, tidy up or I'm getting a bin bag!" approach grin

ResNullius Thu 29-Aug-13 09:37:48

Top tip is to forget "sorting the house"
That is just too mammoth a concept when everything is ovcerwhelming.

Choose one room (ideally the one you sit in, to relax) and sort it totally. Every corner. Junk free and clean.
Next, tackle the kitchen. Same approach. Total sort.
Then your bedroom.

OK - so you now have a working environment which doesn't stress you out wherever you look, including the place where you sleep.
Once the core is calm and sorted, everything else looks easy.

Except the kids rooms, of course!

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 29-Aug-13 09:47:44

Next job is to carry on 'encouraging' the children to tidy up the train track. It would be quicker to do it myself, but that is mot the point grin

While waiting for them, I'm going to have my breakfast and find 10 things to throw away.

Mumof3xx Thu 29-Aug-13 14:42:00

Off to a good start today

So far I've done -

Emptied bin
De cluttered kitchen (again)
Washed pots
2 lots washing washed and dried
3 lots washing away
Hoovered bedroom
Swept stairs
Swept kitchen
Cleaned hob

Still to do -

Clean pets
Hoover living room
Tidy bathroom
Sweep bathroom
Mop bathroom
Hoover ds's room

MrsNouveauRichards Fri 30-Aug-13 08:57:52

Went to bed in a bit of a strop last night. I was cross at DH for doing absolutely nothing towards clearing up but playing on the Wii instead. Of course that has bitten me on the bum, because I have it all to do this morning grin

TO DO
Get up and dressed
Make beds
Set timer for 20mins in the kitchen
Put Washload on
Make pastry for mini quiches
Go to library
Try to get kids hair cut
Home for lunch
Make quiches
Something for dinner
Go to homebase for waterproof stuff
Horses - Farrier this pm
Ride out this evening

Mumof3xx Fri 30-Aug-13 17:29:02

Oh dear
Well I haven't managed much today spent too much time being cross at oh for being lazy and not helping! Men!

But I am aiming to get this lot done -

Bedroom tidy
Pots washed
Kitchen clutter free
Uniforms ironed
Bathroom quick clean
Living room hoovered

One two three .... Go!

Mumof3xx Sat 31-Aug-13 13:26:42

Well from last nights list I managed to

Tidy bedroom
Wash pots
Do some of the uniforms

Still need to

Hoover living room
Declutter kitchen
Quick clean of bathroom

Plus

Clean out animals
Two loads washing
Put two loads away
Strip and remake two beds

MrsNouveauRichards Sat 31-Aug-13 20:31:25

A day out at the zoo has ruined me. I am drinking gin to fortify myself, and will be back with a list tomorrow smile

MrsNouveauRichards Mon 02-Sep-13 08:13:37

Woke up quite early feeling unsettled this morning. Then it clicked that it is Monday, the kids go back to school on Thursday. How the Fuck did that happen? grin

So.......

Before school list

Sew in name tapes
Sew up small hole in cardie
Carry on desperately trying to potty train DS before he goes to preschool (may as well bang head on brick wall)
Do a last shop - packed much stuff
Give the kids a good scrub and check hair
Get on top of washing
Get kids in bed at 7!!!

But first we have one last day at the beach grin

Mumof3xx Mon 02-Sep-13 19:38:17

Jealous of the beach!

Mrs I've joined the flying into September thread there's more people trying to sort their houses out on there why don't you join too!

MrsNouveauRichards Mon 02-Sep-13 22:19:05

I'm already on the list makers thread.

I've tried flylady a few times, once it worked really well, but mostly it doesn't suit me, although I do use her ideas and tips.

Lovely day at the beach smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now