My house has got a bit out of control, and I am feeling overwhelmed. Could do with a kick up the bum!

(113 Posts)
MrsNouveauRichards Wed 14-Aug-13 08:41:56

What with one thing and another, our house has got out of control - summer holidays lack of routine, going on a camping trip (lots of stuff down from the loft) a nearly three year old, also known as the Taz (the tazmanian devil) and kind of giving up caring tbh.

It has been a slow decline since the youngest was born (nearly 3yrs ago) and it has almost reached crisis point. It affects my mood, I find myself losing my temper because I am tripping over stuff all the time.

I have set a day for a trip to the tip (friday) I am in the house all afternoon today waiting on a delivery, I plan on wearing the kids out this morning and then setting them up with a film this afternoon and tackling the house.

But the problem is I don't know where to start, I know one afternoon is not going to fix it, but it will be a good start.

I have no excuse really, no bereavement, no illness, no depression. Just struggling to keep up with two kids and becoming lazy when I have some peace and quiet.

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 15-Aug-13 21:18:40

Well done everyone!

Having a lazy evening, but tomorrow is tip day, so need to go round entire house tomorrow morning and make sure I don't miss anything.

BeaWheesht Thu 15-Aug-13 22:51:55

Well done all! Builders are gone - yay!

Today I've cleared all the surfaces in the kitchen And cleaned the sink, draining board, work tops and hib. Haven't done oven as I just don't even know where to start tbh.

Kids tidied up toys and books in living room under duress

Dh has organised everything in the utility room.

Feel like we are making progress at long last. Lots of painting to be done this weekend, sorting of toys and probably a trip to ikea. Am also going to take cushions off sofa give them a good scrub and Hoover etc.

Oh and I have to make a practice version of dd's birthday cake - a 2 tier castle cake complete with turrets - ???

BeaWheesht Thu 15-Aug-13 22:56:13

Oh I also have 3 ingredient cookies in oven but a different 3 ingredients. Haven't made them before...

MrsNouveauRichards Fri 16-Aug-13 07:43:37

Morning all. I also have a birthday cake to make this weekend, a blue octonauts one.

DH is just getting ready to leave for two nights (work) so although that makes it a bit harder in some ways, it is easier in others!

I am just drinking my tea, then:

Feed kids
While they are eating, get new phone set up (mostly done last night, but orange system down so couldn't switch number)
Empty dishy
Hang out washing
Clear up breakfast
Everyone dressed
DD sort library stuff out
Go around house with a laundry basket and fill up with stuff for the tip.
Go to library quickly
Be at friends for 9.30
Do horses
Shopping
Home for lunch
More tidying
Go to tip this afternoon
Friend and kids coming over to help with party decs (making jelly fish) and have dinner
Kids bath and bed
Make cake

SlatternismyMiddlename Fri 16-Aug-13 09:22:47

Bea - well done.

Good luck with party prep Mrs NR.

I'm in the mood for tidying/ clearing this weekend so will report back.

blue2 Fri 16-Aug-13 15:39:38

It must be catching...!

I've had huge clear out of my larder.

Chucked out all the jam jars I thought I'd use for jam (but never did), several pudding bowls that I never use, my old jam pan, a cupcake stand etc etc. All to charity shop.

It was all going very well until my elbow hit a glass bottle containing my elderflower gin. SMASH!! Floor covered in sticky gin syrup and broken glass, and me up the ladder thinking...

a) In order to exit this room, I have to get off my ladder and STEP in this

b) Its all far too much bother... shall I just go out and ignore it??!!

I now have a larder floor than practically gleams. (OK, OK, its a bit sticky here and there...)

SlatternismyMiddlename Fri 16-Aug-13 17:59:49

I did laugh at the image of blue2 up a ladder thinking - nah I'll sort it later.

MrsNouveauRichards Fri 16-Aug-13 20:52:21

I could sob for the loss of elderflower gin!

Big fat fail here today. Spent far too long having a catch up with my friend (much needed) and didn't make the tip.
I'm in desperate need of an early night, so just watching a bit of Marple, and sorting through a massive bag of clothes my friend dropped by (ds is now sorted for clothes for the next 6 months!)

Tomorrow I will be up early as DH is not here, so going to get cracking with the jobs, and aim for the tip tomorrow afternoon.

The kitchen is cleared, the dining room table is clear and the laundry is done. That will do!

Loveleopardprint Sat 17-Aug-13 00:13:17

Well done you! So much achieved in just a few days. I have been inspired. Going to clear out a couple of cupboards tomorrow. grin

MrsNouveauRichards Sat 17-Aug-13 07:53:15

How is it nearly 8am already?!!!

Kids are feeding and watching telly, I am drinking my much needed tea.

I am going to be up and dressed by 8.15am
I am going to clear the side of the bath and spray cleaner on/around it to soak.
Get kids dressed
Go to horses
Home by 10.30am

MrsNouveauRichards Sat 17-Aug-13 07:54:34

Then I will start on all the house and party jobs!

MrsNouveauRichards Sat 17-Aug-13 13:03:17

Starting to get a bit stressed!

Blue jelly is a bastard. The fecking printer has run out of ink, so party printables may be a problem. DH is away and I could really do with him being here to help! Bollocks.

Off to the tip in one hour. I have 2 broken chairs, one beanbag, one bag of clothes, some tins of paint, one box of books and random shite. I'm sure I could find more, but just getting it out is priority!

num3onway Sat 17-Aug-13 20:19:24

Everyone seems to be doing much better than me! Today I have done very little due to feeling crap but I'm just about to have a 30 min run round Tidy before jumping in bed for sat night tv!

MrsNouveauRichards Sun 18-Aug-13 07:13:08

Worst night sleep since newborns! I lookDH and kids out whilnd feel like a zombie! Went to bed at 12.30, but couldn't sleep due to too much caffeine and sugar, then when I finally fell asleep I was woken by drunk neighbours around 4am, got back to sleep after nearly an hour but then alarm scared the crap out of me at 6am grin

My amazing friend came over last night to help with party prep. It is becoming something of a tradition, she helped with the 30 odd treat cups for my DD's birthday last year, I made sandwiches and hoovered for her DS's party the year before.

Anyway, cakes made, party bags done, party craft sorted, party hats made (wonderful friend) pass the parcel wrapped, pin the eyepatch on Kwazi done.

To do:
Get up (i have tea)
Get dressed
Kids dressed
Make kids a packed breakfast
Go to yard
Get home for 9.30ish
Eat
Tackle 'hotspots'
Threaten/bribe kids to sit in front of a film while I rush around like a blue arsed fly
Hopefully DH home before lunch
Put camping stuff in loft
Get DH to mow lawn
have a bath if time, shower if not
Send dh and kids out while I sleep set up party stuff and do party food

MrsNouveauRichards Sun 18-Aug-13 07:13:54

Oops, wondered where that stray bit of DH and kids went!

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sun 18-Aug-13 07:27:25

Aww, have a good day! I am finding this thread very inspiring. Am due DC3 in 15 days (eeeeeek!) and we need more space in our quite small house. I am being very ruthless. This morning I have been inspired to clean out the dreaded bedding cupboard and have a load of stuff ready for the charity shop. Mostly old board games. How they ended up in the bedding cupboard I have no idea!

MrsNouveauRichards Sun 18-Aug-13 10:32:54

Ooh, a bit of nesting maybe?

Struggling. I really am rubbish on not enough sleep. Going to break it down into (very) bitesize pieces!

DONE
Up, dressed, breakfast (all)
Horses
Bath and hair wash (feeling vaguely human!)
Coffee

NEXT
Get dressed
Do eyebrows (don't want to scare the small children)
Spray bath with cleaner
Hang washing out

If I am not back on here by 11am, I have probably fallen asleep in a corner somewhere.

Misspixietrix Sun 18-Aug-13 11:06:02

The living room and Jungle Garden are hopefully.being tackled today. Having a Cuppa.first to wake me up ~

MrsNouveauRichards Sun 18-Aug-13 11:33:20

Ok, so....

DONE
Get dressed, hair and eyebrows
Bathroom clean
Hang washing out
Ice second cake
Waitrose list written for DH

NEXT
Make beds
Put clean washing away
Hotspots
Put all shoes away
Hoover
Lunch

MrsNouveauRichards Mon 19-Aug-13 08:56:20

Yesterday was a success. Well, apart from the blue jelly!

House is looking ok still, and I have invited people round for dinner tomorrow night, so an incentive to not let it get messy, and to do more tidying and cleaning.

Thank you all for the support!

Today is DS's 3rd birthday, so presents have been opened, breakfast been eaten, and playdoh about to come out!

Going to carry on tackling the laundry pile, put clean sheets on the beds, Hoover downstairs (again!) and clean inside of windows and the mirrors which never get done!

treadingwater123 Mon 19-Aug-13 09:13:17

Hi can I join you on here please?
School hols, depression and working from home has left my house a bit worse for wear too!

MrsNouveauRichards Mon 19-Aug-13 09:41:44

Of course!

The list makers thread is very good too, but this is more a short course type thing grin

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 19-Aug-13 18:10:56

Am really hoping it's not nesting yet - really want the other kids back at school before this one comes along!

Today was the turn of the book shelves in the spare room. Proudly displayed on there were five years' worth of DD and DS's school "makes", including a tudor house made from about 34 tons of cardboard. I said to them "I'll take photos of all the things before we recycle them", only to be told "Nah, it's OK, we're not bothered." Quite why I have kept them so lovingly, I have no idea!

Hope everyone else has had a productive day!

MrsNouveauRichards Tue 20-Aug-13 07:55:00

Bloody kids! grin

I saw this good idea on Pinterest, where you take pictures of the childrens artwork and then make a 'montage' (i always get the Rocky tune in my head when I hear that word) picture with them all and put that one picture on the wall. That is on my long term to do list.

Yesterday was not very productive, but we had a great day. We opened presents in the morning, and kids played with them while I drunk coffee and watched Glee. Then we went to the yard and the kids played on their bikes while I mucked out, followed by Burger King for lunch and on to a local NT property with friends.

I did leave the kitchen clean, hang washing out and put oven cleaner in the oven before bed though, so feeling a bit smug grin

So today is going to be a quiet morning, need to Hoover round and clean out oven (first time in over 2yrs!)

dukester Tue 20-Aug-13 08:37:40

I so need to join this thread summer holidays and lack of routine have made my house a tip! So here's my plan for today.

Tackle laundry mountain
Clean the shower room
Chuck any of unwanted / unused toys
Clear work kitchen work top
Ten minute tidy in the living room !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now