My house has got a bit out of control, and I am feeling overwhelmed. Could do with a kick up the bum!

(113 Posts)
MrsNouveauRichards Wed 14-Aug-13 08:41:56

What with one thing and another, our house has got out of control - summer holidays lack of routine, going on a camping trip (lots of stuff down from the loft) a nearly three year old, also known as the Taz (the tazmanian devil) and kind of giving up caring tbh.

It has been a slow decline since the youngest was born (nearly 3yrs ago) and it has almost reached crisis point. It affects my mood, I find myself losing my temper because I am tripping over stuff all the time.

I have set a day for a trip to the tip (friday) I am in the house all afternoon today waiting on a delivery, I plan on wearing the kids out this morning and then setting them up with a film this afternoon and tackling the house.

But the problem is I don't know where to start, I know one afternoon is not going to fix it, but it will be a good start.

I have no excuse really, no bereavement, no illness, no depression. Just struggling to keep up with two kids and becoming lazy when I have some peace and quiet.

Flicktheswitch Wed 14-Aug-13 16:14:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 14-Aug-13 16:24:52

I have just realised why my house is a shit hole and I have given up caring. While I have been hard at work this afternoon, DS (very nearly 3) has been getting out different toys every two minutes, and DD(5) gets distracted easily, so she was doing craft, then started brushing her soft toys, then decided to lump about on the sofa breaking the fairy wings I bought her yesterday. They have too much stuff. I say this as someone whose kids have about half the amount of stuff their friends do.

Feeling stressed!

My aim this week is to get everything tidy, so I can hoover, mop and clean at the weekend ready for DS's party on Sunday. Although the mood I'm in, I'm ready to cancel birthdays for the rest of their lives!

ppeatfruit Wed 14-Aug-13 17:19:44

Nah you can't have a show room type house with L.O.'s it's got to be a home; don't get all neurotic I always say if you have visitors and they turn their noses up tell them to pxss off they aren't the type of people you want as friends anyway!!

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 14-Aug-13 17:32:43

True! It is a long way from show home though, closer to hovel I would say grin

We are potty training atm (yay) and DS did a puddle on the floor. While I was disposing of the dirty kitchen roll and pet wee liquid, DS was unravelling the rest of the roll. "Telescope" he says grin

ppeatfruit Wed 14-Aug-13 17:39:22

Oh that reminds of the days grin every one of our DCs did that when they were little it must be such fun to see it unravelling for the first time grin We tend to forget to see the world through their eyes!!!

BeaWheesht Wed 14-Aug-13 20:08:51

I'm in the same position and its doing my head in!!!! Normally I do sorting at night but dd (almost 3) is being a nightmare at bedtime so I have been falling behind and I'm getting so stressed sad ds (6) is back at school at least but tbh he isn't the problem, dd is! She just doesn't focus on one toy / game for any length of time so stuff is discarded everywhere.

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 14-Aug-13 20:54:49

Yep. DD was a dream child, a bit dreamy in her own little way, DS is like a tornado - chaos lies in his wake!

I escaped this evening to the horses, while wonderful DH fed and did bedtime. So I have come home feeling knackered but mentally able to tackle tomorrow.

I am going to leave the kitchen looking shiny and beautiful grin

Loveleopardprint Wed 14-Aug-13 21:17:03

I think you have achieved a lot today. Well done!! Starting is always the hardest part. Did your DH notice the difference in the kitchen?

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 14-Aug-13 21:38:27

Thank you.

Yes he did. He walked into the kitchen and said "wow! This explains why everything is migrating down the hall" grin

Tomorrow I need to get up, and not go back to bed with tea and toast (bad habit I've got into) then tackle the dining room.

num3onway Wed 14-Aug-13 21:48:35

Ooo I need to join this thread!

My house is clutter land!

Loveleopardprint Wed 14-Aug-13 21:59:45

It's always nice to have a bit of praise. Spurs me on to do more!!
Can you do another counter top whilst toast is in toaster and kettle boiling? Then a sneaky lie in!

blue2 Wed 14-Aug-13 22:18:45

Well Done, Mrs Nouveau! 10/10 for today and a big gold star!

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 15-Aug-13 07:33:37

Thank you grin. (i like gold stars)

All the kitchen counters are clear! I try to empty/reload the Dishy while the kettle is boiling if I am feeling motivated.

I was thinking about starting a Facebook declutter support group, a bit like weightwatchers, but for clearing out your house. For every bag of clutter you get rid of, for every room kept tidy etc, you get a little Facebook 'award'
Probably a shit idea, but I think others may find it useful too.

DH is bringing me a cup of tea in bed, before he goes to work, then I am cracking on.

num3onway Thu 15-Aug-13 08:13:22

Wish someone would bring me a cuppa in bed! So far today all I have done is get me and 3 dc up and fed them all!

I have lots to do and plan on using your thread for inspiration lol if you don't mind that is!

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 15-Aug-13 09:11:25

Of course not, the more the merrier!

DONE
Up, showered, dressed and caffeinated
Bed made - still need to do kids.
Some laundry done
Fed kids, and cleared up breakfast
Boiled eggs for sandwiches
Cookies in oven for picnic - my super easy 3 ingredient ones
DD dressed
DS half dressed
Dishy empty
Kitchen clean

I am going out soon for most of the day, but going to spend 20mins tackling the dining room table.

blue2 Thu 15-Aug-13 09:37:30

You GO Mrs Nouveau!!

P.S Fancy posting your 3 ingredient cookies recipe? (Only if you have the time, you understand... I know you're a busy lady!)

num3onway Thu 15-Aug-13 09:40:23

Gosh you put me to Shame

Done -
All up
Fed all three dc
Had a brew
All dc dressed n teeth brushed
Dc3 asleep again
Ordered more stuff from next sale

Mynewmoniker Thu 15-Aug-13 09:42:00

This thread has inspired me so I'm logging off and getting on with it smile

I have cancelled a nice walk to do this today.

Will report back.

Mynewmoniker Thu 15-Aug-13 11:29:46

Yep...it worked smile. I started doing the count thing and lost count. Then I broke into a horrible sweat and have just had to sit down for a coffee and a catch-up.

Misspixietrix Thu 15-Aug-13 12:48:41

Marking a Spot on this thread as mine's getting a bit cluttered too blush

Think I'll attack the Kitchen first ~

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 15-Aug-13 15:26:17

Well, you are all putting me to shame!

Cookies are

3oz soft spread (stork or similar)
3oz caster sugar (i usually put just a bit less)
5oz SR flour

Mix up til fluffy, may want to add a teeny splash of milk, and add choc, raisins, nuts etc cook on gas 4 roughly 20mins

I only did 10mins of clearing this morning due to running late, but still a huge dent made.

Been to a national trust place today, so one child asleep, and one child cuddled up with me watching The Sound of Music. Will do more soon I promise!

blue2 Thu 15-Aug-13 16:21:41

Lovely recipe Mrs N - will try that one out. (Just need to figure out what Gas Mark 4 is in my cooker language!)

.... But don't forget, we're waiting for the next domestic update from you!

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 15-Aug-13 16:50:19

Struggling a bit this afternoon! The caffeine just isn't kicking in as it should!

I am going to set my timer for 5mins and attack the table, just to get me going.

Mynewmoniker Thu 15-Aug-13 19:39:09

I got a better offer and didn't continue after my coffee and chill. I've got it all to do later sad

summermakesmesneeze Thu 15-Aug-13 20:52:58

I just cleared through the craft boxes and dumped all the odds and ends that I was saved because 'they might be useful', dud pens, old craft things that had been made and tidied back in the box (ok, that was me), things that didn't belong, and a load of mini pencils that came free with kids meals... I thought I was being thrifty but they're never used!

And I went through the kids books, and as well as clearing some baby books, I also plucked up the courage to remove some of the unsuitable books that MIL has brought over... I had to leave a couple though as I'm worried she'll notice grin

So now the shelves in the lounge are looking teensy bit better. Well, half of them anyway, that's enough for tonight.

And rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now