Straight washing line versus rortary... your thoughts please!

(47 Posts)
LewisFan Mon 05-Aug-13 23:36:31

I prefer straight lines, but have nowhere to "hook" it on to at the other end; I have a cheap retractable one already, but can't use it due to nowhere to hook it!

I am getting my garden totally renovated soon and would like your thoughts; find somewhere to hook the straight one, or purchase a rotary (to be stored in shed as only used at weekends!)

What would you do?

Also, how hard is it to construct a 6ft pole for the thing to hook on to!

krisskross Wed 21-Aug-13 23:24:53

I'm with waiting....got a brabantia top spinner for 70 quid...50m I think....holds three washes and dries loads faster than a,line.....loads and loads faster. It is hard to get the spike bashed into ground though but worth it. I am ( tragically) evangelical about it.

BeginnerSAHM Mon 19-Aug-13 14:48:46

Totally love the retractable branbantia one! Got it with the metal box and it's brilliant... £95 was a bit hard to swallow but it's great. Highly recommend it.

BiddyPop Tue 13-Aug-13 09:47:12

DH and I both grew up with straight ones, and both my parents did too. But when we bought our first house, there was nothing and a single hole and post for rotary were easier to get into the ground (very compacted!). And that's pretty much all we could buy either. (And the retractable ones all looked like they would collapse in a matter of months).

When we moved, there was no line in our current house so we went rotary again (small garden). It can be annoying for very wide sheets (our bed is king sized) but pretty much everything else is ok on it. I tend to spread things out initially and, as I finish more loads, will put them closer together. But I can get 3 loads onto it. And it dries pretty efficiently.

If I had a lovely long garden, I would probably have a long line for big wash days, and a rotary set into a recessed hole (so no trip jhazard when we pull it out) in patio near the house to use on winter days when the ground is wet but the weather is dry.

But I'm happy with rotary (and we do a lot of washing!).

Pudden Mon 12-Aug-13 13:47:10

Line drying here too! I love to see sheets and towels billowing out in a good breeze

Mum2Fergus Sat 10-Aug-13 08:52:40

Line drying here, had rotary at last house, probably wouldn't have another so long as I have space for line.

I have both.

Rotary is good for small things - anything for my DC, underwear, teatowels, etc. Straight is miles better for long or wide things like dresses, DH work shirts, towels, bedsheets, etc.

My "straight" line is actually zigzagged or crisscrossed between the side of the house and the garden wall though (garage width) so it is out of sight and is longer (20m ish).

AnnoyingOrange Fri 09-Aug-13 23:21:24

I use a rotary but spread the washing out and use every second row to maximise the air circulating between the washing

If I am doing several loads, I move the drier washing closer together to finish off when I hang out the next load

I find I can dry several loads a day in good weather using this method

ZombiesAteMyBigToe Fri 09-Aug-13 23:15:37

I have one of each in the garden.

Things dry so much faster on the line, I can fit a whole load on there, but the rotary is useful for overspill. Things on the line also seem less creased. I do like the fact that I can hide my pants on the rotary though.

Occasionally I drag an airer out too but things dry much much slower on that, especially in the middle.

The best drying area we had was four poles in a square with line strung around them. It took up an obscene amount of our garden though.

Tigerbomb Fri 09-Aug-13 23:04:00

I have two retractables - cheap ones from Tesco. They are brilliant. I can get 4 big washes out on them and the clothes dry much quicker.

I got rid of my rotary after pulling it out of the ground in frustration. I could never hang sheets out properly and it took flipping ages to dry.

I bought my clothes pole from Wilkinsons - think it was a tenner (props are only £3) and my DH cemented it and the spike into the ground.

mamamidwife Fri 09-Aug-13 23:00:40

I have a Brabantia retractable and it's brill, folds away in a jiffy, very discreet when it needs to be but holds loads of laundry. Rotary style but doesn't rotate, I would definately recommend it smile

Genius! How did I ever not think of that?

fengirl1 Fri 09-Aug-13 22:46:23

Whoknows, could you put a retractable at both ends and hook them together somehow?

MaureenMLove Fri 09-Aug-13 22:25:24

I have a rotary line for two reasons.

Firstly, I can 'hide' my undies on the very inside line, so the neighbours can't see them and secondly I'm too bloody lazy to walk up and down the garden hanging washing! You can stand more or less in one place, with the basket of washing at your feet with a rotary!

mono3 Fri 09-Aug-13 22:23:47

I have this one which I love as it is down one side of the house so away from the main garden and folds when not in use.

Has anyone ever found a retractable longer than 15m? The length between my two walls is 17m and I have never been able to find one long enough.

alemci Fri 09-Aug-13 21:49:55

I have both. rotary line useful for flat drying sweaters. straight line used much more. have 3 in a trianglr

ChippingInHopHopHop Fri 09-Aug-13 21:49:47

If I had the choice I'd have a straight line - especially in a garden like yours! Clothes get dried much more quickly and it's brilliant for sheets/duvet covers etc. The props are easy & cheap to buy.

get your Dad to

Buy a large pole
Dig a big hole
Stick the pole in
Dump in a bag of ready mix cement
Prop the pole up until it sets

Job done smile

NOW my kitchen has been systematically destroyed and it's all your fault, so now you have to tell me where you got your tiles & cabinets from grin

charlieandlola Fri 09-Aug-13 21:47:49

oh and kids swimming stuff is out there now and I will bring in before I go to bed.

charlieandlola Fri 09-Aug-13 21:47:28

STraight line here with a prop in the middle ,we had a rotary in our old house and things took significantly longer to dry on a rotary than they do on a straight.
I have washed and dried 3 kingsize duvets/bedding, towels for 4 people and 2 days worth of clothes for 4 people today. It has been a great drying day, lots of wind and warm air smile

MousyMouse Fri 09-Aug-13 21:44:45

ps, it's a large wing airer that takes large items (like bedding) easily without hanging things double.

MousyMouse Fri 09-Aug-13 21:43:31

airer here.
I like that I can just take the whole thing inside when it starts raining. no faffing taking it all off...

Mintyy Fri 09-Aug-13 21:40:54

I have a rotary line because I can hide it completely out of view behind the apple tree at the far end of my long garden.

If I had a tiny garden where washing always had to be visible I would probably use a conventional clothes horse on the patio, tbh.

didireallysaythat Fri 09-Aug-13 21:37:50

I have a covered rotary rotaire.com Not pretty I admit and somewhat dangerous in high winds, but bird and rain protection is good.

fussychica Fri 09-Aug-13 14:56:00

Glad I read this - have an ordinary straight line but hate leaving it up but too much of a pia to take it down so just ordered the Minky retractable. I'll report back once it's in use. I hate rotary lines with a passion toogrin

sparkle12mar08 Fri 09-Aug-13 12:40:51

We have a large three sided rotary and on a good breezy day I can dry four loads of washing perfectly well. I don't understand how you can't? As long as you peg out properly and don't leave stuff scrunched up and bunged on any old way with just one peg say, how can it nor dry?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now