Smelly armits in clean washing

(29 Posts)
Begginyouformercy Mon 05-Aug-13 12:45:25

Ew. Mr Beggin's shirts are still whiffy in the oxters after being washed at 60 using Ariel. Does anyone know why that would be and can I get them properly clean?

Vanish in the green tub - is fab, has some sort of oxygen mumble in and it gets the Masters running gear clean and unsmelly and the guy sweats like a ripe Camembert!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 05-Aug-13 12:51:52

Vinegar, a tablespoon of vinegar in the wash works wonders.

goodasitgets Mon 05-Aug-13 12:54:01

Napisan. Soak shirts in it for a bit (v precise!) grin then wash with bio, NO fabric conditioner as it holds smells in. Add napisan to wash too

Floralnomad Mon 05-Aug-13 12:56:50

Spray the armpits with stain remover before washing ,I do that with all shirts and t shirts as I only wash at 40 degrees.

LadyBigtoes Mon 05-Aug-13 12:59:46

Agree napisan is your friend. We do DP's wash with combination of bio and napisan and it fixes the smelliness.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 05-Aug-13 13:46:40

Neat vinegar on the area and a couple of spoons of soda crystals in the wash.

Aldi bio powder came out level with Ariel in the which? Tests and isn't tested on animals either

Begginyouformercy Mon 05-Aug-13 14:00:18

Oo, lots of answers - thank you smile

I'll have a go with the stuff I've got in the house already and if no banana will investigate the others.

Thank you muchly, peeps smile

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 05-Aug-13 14:32:42

Would it be wrong to say "No sweat" grin

Begginyouformercy Mon 05-Aug-13 15:24:07

grin

Alwayscheerful Mon 05-Aug-13 15:27:19

Spray white vinegar on the affected area.
+
Use white vinegar rather than fabric conditioner.

Begginyouformercy Mon 05-Aug-13 16:11:44

I had been using vinegar as a conditioner since reading that it could be my Ecover conditioner making everything in my wardrobe a bit musty, but There Were Complaints - tut!

I'm away to do some stealth vinegaring. wink

Pudden Wed 07-Aug-13 10:14:12

I make a paste of borax and rub it into dh's shirt armpits- leave it for 5-10 mins and bung in washer. Neutralises any whiffs

Begginyouformercy Wed 07-Aug-13 10:29:19

Thank you, Pudden. Strangely, there was no smell when they had fully dried but I've put them in to wash again with some vinegar, so hopefully that'll do <boring afternoon of ironing ahead>.

(Don't worry, vipers, he would happily do his own ironing but he's going out and I've got recorded stuff to watch on the telly. wink grin)

LaRegina Wed 07-Aug-13 10:35:35

Side issue, but... if you use white vinegar as fabric conditioner, don't your clothes then smell of vinegar? confused

Alwayscheerful Wed 07-Aug-13 10:38:17

No Regina, not a trace of vinegar and if you put the powder in the drum and the vinegar in the fabric conditioner section, the drawer is spotless.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 07-Aug-13 10:46:47

No smell of vinegar here, I use smart price malt in our washing.

LaRegina Wed 07-Aug-13 11:11:41

So being really thick (and double checking before I turn the washing machine on) - I don't put the powder tablets in the drawer as I normally would but in the actual drum with the washing, then vinegar in the FC section. But why doesn't it smell of vinegar? <sorry>

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 07-Aug-13 11:14:06

Yes, that's right, tabs in drum, fill the fc dispenser with vinegar to the max level.

No idea why it doesn't smell of vinegar, it just doesn't.

You might only need one tablet of detergent too, I only use three dessert spoons of powder in a colours wash.

LaRegina Wed 07-Aug-13 11:23:50

Ooh thank you fluffy.

Yes I'm aware that it's sad I'm getting so excited about washing blush

Alwayscheerful Wed 07-Aug-13 11:42:57

Vinegar is a natural antiseptic, as used by Florence Nightingale. I am told it is a good weed killer but I cannot personally vouch for its use in the garden.

Alwayscheerful Wed 07-Aug-13 11:49:16

Vinegar is also fantastic for descaling kettles. Recommended is 50 /50 water and white vinegar. I just cover the element with neat vinegar and boil. Leave for an hour and then use the same liquid to do the rest of the kettles and pour the vinegar down the sink or shower to clean out the u bend.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 07-Aug-13 12:58:26

If you leave the neat vinegar in the kettle cold it works just as well and you can decant it back into the bottle and use it over and over again.

marchart Wed 07-Aug-13 13:11:36

So if you use vinegar, does this mean you can't use fabric conditioner as well?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 07-Aug-13 13:46:01

More that you wouldn't need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now