August is when the fledglings party, and perhaps do a bit of flying, maybe.

(747 Posts)
BitchytheGreat Thu 01-Aug-13 00:54:37

Roll up, roll up to this special birthday month for the fledglings...

We are going to attempt to keep the dc happy, whilst flying. No mean feat in the month of holidays and adventures.

Rule 1. yes even in a birthday month we have rules
It is not about perfection. A little is enough, no really.
Rule 2.
You are aloud to spend time doing fun things, don't regret them or feel guilty.
Rule 3. This one is a fat fairy rule.
you are never behind, jump in where you are

So newbies if you are reading this you are probably thinking wtf?! This is a wonderful system designed by the fly lady. in days gone olde one fledgling had a dream about the fly lady in which she was a fat fairy, thus the thread nickname fat fairy was born. Just so we don't confuse you like wink
Anyhows, this month it is Bitchy's turn to lead, and perhaps this should come with a warning. She has her own unique style of leading but don't let that scare you off, the fledglings are luffsly and generally far more sane then the bitchy one grin just be aware of bitchy's special brew. Terribly high in caffine and can sometimes be found in the naughty corner. Which reminds me, the naughty corner if for those who are struggling for whatever reason or those just in need of a stiff drink.

So this flying thing. It has three stages:
stage one: the babysteps. these build a routine. some of them are contriversial, and some a little wishy washy seem a little less significant. But most are really good.
Stage two: babysteps and missions one the routines are in place the missions are designed to help you tackle tasks room by room. These room by room approach is helpfully referred to as zones.
stage three: the mythical deep cleaning stage yeah lets just ignore that, none of us have got to the point where we have not only decluttered but got in control of the chaos grin

Oh yeah CHAOS - what the fat fairy calls "Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome"

That clear as mud? good. Let's Begin....

JustGettingOnWithIt Sat 31-Aug-13 07:36:42

Trazzles posted without seeing your post. Glad Joe's a later birthday, you've both quite enough to contend with.
Well done on the sparkly kitchen front, you've every right to be pleased with yourself.

feetheart Sat 31-Aug-13 08:19:03

I will need to join the handholding next week too as, like ellie's DS, my DD goes into Yr6 and we have the whole high school thing to deal with as soon as we get back. She knows where she wants to go but we are just out of catchment so it may be a nervous wait until March.

DS is going into Yr3 but it's a primary here too and as we didn't have the 'infants/juniors' thing in my day it means nothing to me though some of the other mums are struggling a bit.

This w/e will mainly involve decorating (again) to see how much of our new extension plus old hall, stairs and landing we can finish. Getting close now but stairs will be 'interesting' to do and need HUGE ladder that I will have to climb as DH doesn't do heights very well.

About to go for a run then:
- Bath
- Breakfast
- DS to gymnastics
- Home to eat/decorate
- All to optician's
- Home to decorate/eat

Off to look for September thread which will obviously be the new January smile

Thank you Bitchy for leading us through August. thanks

My DD1 is leaving home today to head off to uni!! sad She is quite put out that at 22 she is classed as a "mature" student, but she is excited about a new life. I have mixed feelings, but her life, and I need to get a grip encourage and support from afar!

WHenever I have a lot going on in my head I seem to work better at the flying lark. This morning I have already blitzed the kitchen and moved a huge amount of stuff around to make more room.

Today is going to be taken up by sorting DD1 out. We have done the majority of the packing.....Thank God for vaccuum bags, I say!! wink

I have been crap on this thread throughout August, but I am determined to get stuck in in September and sort this house out. Once DD2 has left to go back to London - not sure when yet, sometime this week, then it will just be me and DS, so how much mess can we realistically make? Theory is to get it cleared and cleaned thoroughly over the next few weeks, then keep on top of it easier. How hard can that really be??

Thinking of all you school newbies/changers - I suppose the uni change is the last one of those, really.

Have a good weekend. See you on the September thread

feetheart Sat 31-Aug-13 08:24:59

X-posted.
Good organisation Joe on holding out for another week and well done on sparkly kitchen trazzles

Just - good luck with everything is all I can say. Hope house move is painless for all concerned and that your friend is VERY grateful.

Right, run.....

BitchytheGreat Sat 31-Aug-13 09:04:13

No worries Whoknows

Good luck with the move and everything Just

Enjoy your sparkling kitchen trazzles

I had forgotten how draining being woken up in the night is. technically i have had 10hrs sleep but with 3 being woken ups i am shattered.

ZingWantsCake Sat 31-Aug-13 09:30:46

bye August Fred!thanks

elliepac Sat 31-Aug-13 10:42:54

Just got back from the caravan and the realisation that summer is nearly over is dawning.

Lots to do. DH hasn't completely destroyed the house while I've been away but he hasn't cleaned it eithergrin.

To do:-
Holiday washing
Drying
Putting away
Clean whole house
Unpack
Finishing touches to DS room before carpet arrives on Monday
Food shop
Buy new hairdryer/straighteners (both blew up on holiday)
Double check school stuff
Bit of work prep...maybe, maybe not.

Back later.

elliepac Sat 31-Aug-13 13:03:39

Ta da:-

Holiday washing x 2 (3rd load in)
Cleaned kitchen
Cleaned living room
Cleaned dining room
Cleaned bathroom
Tidied dd's room
Hoovered throughout
Unpacked car

Getting there!

BitchytheGreat Sat 31-Aug-13 13:08:56

Why does it feel like today should be a sunday?

ta da
basic check of internet stuff (email/mn etc)
clear out of fb timeline
clear up egg managed to chuck at floor instead of frying
deal with clingy ds
smack elbow on loft ladder

ZingWantsCake Sat 31-Aug-13 13:58:21

Bitchy I'm confused too.
yesterday felt like a Saturday, today feels like a Sunday!

weird!

ZingWantsCake Sat 31-Aug-13 14:05:51

ta da

made a lovely lunch from leftovers:
- chinese takeaway noodles and cut up chicken balls (from freezer)
- yesterday's sweetcorn and green beans (fridge)
added a bit of garlic oil.
it wouldn't have been enough for all of us, so I had some rice (frozen pack done in 4 mins) and gave DD a portion of reheated pasta dish.
Kids loved the food, I created a bit of space in the freezer and in the fridge.
win-win-win-winsmile

I will never understand why people chuck away leftover food.confused

BitchytheGreat Sat 31-Aug-13 14:30:46

Because it has gone furry and no one wanted to eat it?

Well done on sparkly kitchen, Trazzles. DS2 is about to turn 4 as well so must be very close in age to Joe.

My parents are due in a couple of hours so desperately trying to keep things clean while the boys tip more and more stuff out around me. DH has taken them to the park so I can get stuff done so having a rest in the middle of making fish pie for later.

Better get back to it.

Steamedcabbage Sat 31-Aug-13 16:10:19

Hi all! Hope eveyrone OK. Back from mini-holiday in local countryside (an hour and a bit away) - could have done with a fortnight more but weather was lovely and dd got to do lots of (outdoor) swimming and riding and got some fresh air in her lungs which was the main objective and even I waddled about on a poor weight bearing cob. My stomach behaved itself and dh was fine, so glad we went in the end!! Hotel had very nice "end of season" relaxed feel to it too.

Haven't caught up with thread properly but sympathies to those of you who are bemoaning the end of summer - I feel exactly the same way. Think it makes it harder to face the realities of school/work when the summer has been a hot and sunny one!

Good luck to those of you whose dc are starting school/starting secondary/moving schools/going to uni! Fingers and toes crossed for you all!

Slightly chaotic here now - tripping over walking boots, suitcases and riding boots/hats/crops/back protectors in the hall but have been studiously ignoring all that since lunch to focus on mahoosive file and notebook labelling session with dd and arrange her pencils and pens in a line so to speak, so that we can have a stress-free day tomorrow and let's just say that we have only fallen out about five three times!! confused If she is getting stroppy over something as simple as this, it really doesn't bode well for the start of the term [resists urge to dive under duvet and hide].

We have also had the serious "am I giving up ballet for good and ever more? discussion" and it appears that she has sad. If only she could see how good she is at it and how much progress she has made (if you'll excuse the Mummy boast) but all she sees is endless repetition which is too much like school ....you can take a horse to water etc ....

Must go and get the laundry on but will be back to catch up with thread later.

In the meantime, humungous thanks to Bitchy for being such a fab and entertaining thread leader throughout August thanks and huge thanks to Whoknows for taking on Sept which can be a bit like January inasmuch as there tend to be lots of newbies. Good luck with it!

Just noticed we now have tennis balls tennis I wonder why??? Probably meant to counteract the cake. Speaking of which, am finally down to 80kg today which is still huge for my frame but am finally on the right track "only" 13 more kg to go...

Steamedcabbage Sat 31-Aug-13 16:12:30

Sorry Bitchy you were meant to be emboldened there ifyswim thanks Thanks again anyway!! smile

ToffeeWhirl Sat 31-Aug-13 16:55:01

Thank you so much for your fabulous thread-leading skills, Bitchy grin.

<dives into naughty corner, plumps up cushions and makes strong coffee>

There is a place for you to collapse in the naughty corner if you are feeling post-thread-leader's fatigue.

We are back from our hols. It was fabulous. DH is very happy to have us home and the boys greeted him with huge hugs - very sweet to witness. The house is looking really nice. It's still tidy and DH has done lots of jobs whilst we've been away, including painting the bathroom, putting up new shelves and buying new house plants.

Back to Flying duties at home now. Have already done one load of washing since we arrived home and now have to hang it all up, then unpack and tidy up.

BitchytheGreat Sat 31-Aug-13 17:07:00

Actually I have cake, decaff cofee and will be taking ds out tonight. Will be back later for the links for the new thread for whoknows. Wow at DH being productive and getting stuff done in your abscence.

right fresh bread to stick in the oven!

Mm, fresh bread! Thanks for leading through Aug, Bitchy

Waves to SC, glad you had a good break. Tennis balls are i n honour of the US Open, BTW.

dizzyday07 Sat 31-Aug-13 19:23:32

Spent most of yesterday baking whilst DD was out playing with friends. I even cleaned the kitchen window and wiped down a few cabinet fronts!

DH came home early and promptly told me he was seriously contemplating resigning from his job on Monday grin He hasn't really been happy since he started but a meeting with 2 of his staff that went tits up plus getting a rejection for a job he went for an interview this week, were I think, the straws that broke the camels back! I will just have to see what happens from here and think about how we can tighten our belts should he take that decision.

Today I have only put a load of laundry on but DH did attack the hob and it now sparkles (I have been studiously avoiding cleaning it as HE covered it in HIS cooking!)

Will go off and find the September thread. I have warned DH and DD that Summer is now over!

Jesstryinghard Sat 31-Aug-13 21:24:50

Hey all
Long time no see
Been on holiday and visiting family
Need to get my fly on now I'm back
Hope y'all are good smile)

GoingGoingGoth Sat 31-Aug-13 22:47:35

Evening all, just popping into to say thanks to Bitchy for leading the thread this month thanks

BitchytheGreat Sun 01-Sep-13 02:09:31

Hellloooooo. right you horrible lot if you are still here you are in the wrong place.

Fuck off to the september thread where we are under the leadership of the lovely Whoknows, who will be back from her adventures in time for monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now