Which hoover?

(28 Posts)
hackneybird Mon 29-Jul-13 13:17:32

We've been making do with a cheap hoover for about 14 years and it's finally got to go.

I would rather not buy a Dyson but would lie to invest in something long lasting and high performance. Is there something out there like this but without the pricey Dyson brand name?

Avago Mon 29-Jul-13 22:30:55

I think Bissells are great. Wish I'd bought a replacement when the last one died, ended up buying G Tech RAM and not very happy.

Helish Mon 29-Jul-13 22:35:15

I bought a Miele over a Dyson. Had it a couple of years now and it's been brilliant.

mejypoo Mon 29-Jul-13 22:36:56

Just bought a hoover dm616 from currys at half price yesterday (£99) and I must say it is tremendous

Quodlibet Mon 29-Jul-13 22:37:59

My MIL gave us a Miele Cat and Dog and it is incredible. A million times better than a dyson. Almost makes hoovering fun.

gaggiagirl Mon 29-Jul-13 22:38:16

Listening in and taking note.

notso Mon 29-Jul-13 22:50:41

I recently replaced my much hated but once coveted upright Dyson with a cylinder Miele.
It is so much better, my front room carpet looked like it had been cleaned.

Miele miele miele! Fab quality hoovers.

MultumInParvo Mon 29-Jul-13 22:57:44

I've had lots 4 vacuum cleaners and by far the best is a good old Henry.

MultumInParvo Mon 29-Jul-13 22:58:31

They suck up everything. Literally.

NanTheWiser Tue 30-Jul-13 09:42:18

Sebo! One of the best vacuums on the market, only rivalled by the Miele.

I love my sebo

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 30-Jul-13 09:47:41

Miele. Just got an ecoline (I think that was it) cylinder and it's amazing, vacuuming is so much easier after our cheap crappy one!

Alwayscheerful Tue 30-Jul-13 09:49:18

I am undecided between a Miele and a Sebo, I prefer an upright, i love the retro look of the Sebo, any thoughts?

NotAnotherPackedLunch Tue 30-Jul-13 09:53:28

I've had a Mile cat dog for years and it's still brilliant when I get round to using it

hackneybird Tue 30-Jul-13 16:02:38

Thanks everyone! Off to persuade DH - he's set on a Dyson.

Youhaventseenme Tue 30-Jul-13 16:05:18

We have a Sebo upstairs and Dyson animal 25 downstairs, both are fab.

we have recently got a Vax. It's fabulous, easy to clean you just take the bit of that all the dust gets in and tip it in the outside bin. does a great job on carpets and tile floors.
here is a link if you want to have a
look

http://store.makro.co.uk/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=6061&SEName=vax-mach-air-bagless-upright-u91mab&gclid=CNCfxPfx17gCFcLHtAodmk8AJA

Serafinaaa Tue 30-Jul-13 20:36:59

Another vote here for Miele! My old one lasted over 10 years and I now have the cat dog version.

DTisMYdoctor Tue 30-Jul-13 23:39:58

I replaced our Dyson with a Miele. It's far superior.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 31-Jul-13 15:41:29

Miele, upright for a carpeted house, cylinder for mainly hard floors.

The cat & dog one has a special head with a rotating brush for carpets.

PigletJohn Wed 31-Jul-13 23:47:52

Miele if you can afford it. What's your budget?

Yes, an upright is better for carpeted floors especially downstairs which are dirtiest. We have one of each. Uprights are more complicated and have more mechanism so really good ones are more expensive than really good cylinders.

AFAIK all uprights these days have a hose and tube you can use for cylinder-type jobs.

Openyourheart Sat 03-Aug-13 22:52:14

My cleaner says Henrys are the best so I got one and it is pretty good.

ActualAl Sat 10-Aug-13 11:54:31

We've had a sebo for the past 5 years and up till this summer I loved it. Our old house was mainly lino/ Laminate with only the 2 bedrooms carpeted. Unfortunately we moved to a new house this year which is mainly carpet and I don't think the sebo is as effective on this, it's a cylinder one and the brushes on the carpeted head are run by air so they are not as powerful as the ones on an upright that are run with a separate motor. Our poor wee sebo brushes keep getting clogged with hair and is not powerful enough to keep running. I know you don't want a dyson but I borrowed my mums recently and what a difference it made to my carpets! Thought it was going to pull them up, was fab!
The sebo is still great on the Lino/laminate though so I'd recommend it for that area.

GrandPoohBah Sat 10-Aug-13 13:04:37

Having had a Dyson, Henry, Sebo upright and Miele cylinder I would say...

Dyson are an expensive pile of poo. Discount immediately.

Henry is good on very short pile (ie office and industrial) carpet and hardwood floors. Picks up big pieces. Not good with hair at all, or stubborn dust.

The Sebo upright is lovely. Great on carpets, easy to use, easy to manoeuvre.

The Miele cylinder is also great, different settings for carpet and hardwood floors, good attachments.

Get the Miele or the Sebo if you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now