My list is so long, I'm not sure where to start :(

(36 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 27-Jul-13 16:58:36

The house is such a mess. I don't think it can get any worse but I don't know where to start.

There isn't one room or even an area of a room which is tidy and organised.

DS and I started tidying his room last week which involved clearing out some of the boxes of stuff on his bedroom floor so his room has some carpet visible but is far from tidy/well organised...and the removed boxes are now in my bedroom hmm.

I'm thinking, if I tidy my room and DS', these are most likely to stay tidy the longest because this is where we spend the least amount of time. On the otherhand, it would be lovely to have a tidy and uncluttered kitchen and sitting room as we spend a lot of time in these two rooms but they end up back in a mess really quickly.

There's not really any point to this thread but I'm hoping it will act as a kick up the bum for me to get moving and do something about the mess I've got myself into.

I'm off to spend 30 minutes tidying in DS' room...

Same problem as you op, and slowly getting worse now dc off school.
When there is so much to do, it can be very off putting!

Will start on upstairs first i thinkconfused

Frontdoorstep Sun 28-Jul-13 17:23:41

I think that things that could be useful to someone else is a big stumbling block for lots of people and I can understand why. Btw my mother is one of these such people. For me getting it out of my house, even if it means binning good stuff I don't want anymore, overrides everything else, but if you are not like that then you will be left with stuff. My husband has piled stuff up before to sell on eBay but never quite got round to selling it on eBay and I have binned the lot. But I'm ruthless and if you're not ruthless, yes , I can understand the clutter!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 28-Jul-13 17:32:30

Good to know I'm not alone smile.

Frontdoorstep - I can't imagine ever being ruthless but I will try!

I feel like I've made some progress today.

DS' room has had a really good Hoover and looks lovely now.

The area of the kitchen I spent most of last night clearing is looking fab, too. The sitting room has had a tidy up and Hoover so is looking better but is on my list for this evening.

I did two loads of washing this morning but it got absolutely drenched so will have to go in the dryer because I don't think we're due any sun for at least the next two days hmm

Rummikub Sun 28-Jul-13 17:34:18

Before and after pictures might help you stay motivated.

Rummikub Sun 28-Jul-13 17:35:19

I've smiled ever time I go into kitchen and look at the clear work top! Well done on sorting out your ds room!

Ruprekt Sun 28-Jul-13 17:42:51

I only do 2 loads washing per week, bag it up and shove it all in the launderette. £2.20 for 2 loads washing.

Fold it and put it away. I hate washing round the house.

Stop buying stuff then it can't pile up.

Get rid of magazines and papers.

Sit down and sort out the paperwork tonight.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 28-Jul-13 19:34:01

Ruprekt - my friend takes her washing to the launderette when she's got behind with it all but sounds like a good idea on a regular basis!

I have stopped buying stuff and with only DS and I here there's not too much opportunity for that to fail (apart from doting aunties buying DS presents regularly!).

We don't have newspapers or magazines...I gave up on them a long time ago because I never had a chance to read them!!

Paperwork is an issue but has all been cleared for now smile.

Ceebeegeebies - very sorry, I missed your post yesterday! Yes, maintenance is the key but I never seem to get to the point of everywhere being under control.

I really feel like I have got somewhere this weekend, though. Going to spend a couple of hours sorting out the sitting room now and an hour or so in my bedroom to put away the clothes I sorted out earlier.

Have had to put the washing in the dryer and have another load waiting to go in.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and encouragement!!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 28-Jul-13 19:35:18

Rummikub - photos sound like a good idea but I'd be worried someone might see them accidentally and then I'd be so embarrassed!

Rummikub Sun 28-Jul-13 19:40:44

Photos for private enjoyment only! You sound like you have done loads in 1 weekend! I am still basking in the glow of my worktop and not done much else. Really must get back into it...

Ruprekt Sun 28-Jul-13 19:43:30

Clear the table and put a vase of fresh flowers on it. Less likely to accumulate junk if it looks nice!

Light some candles for ambience.

Make your living room somewhere you want to be.

((I realise I sound like a 1950's housewife!))

smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

Vivacia Sun 28-Jul-13 19:53:51

Once you've got a room "done" try to leave it tidy at the end of each day. I'm a complete minimalist, throw-it-away clean freak but am suffering with being out of my routine during the summer holidays and the kitchen coming back on board after being refitted. Funny how I've got out of the habit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now