Oven cleaning tips please

(41 Posts)
cakesonatrain Sun 14-Jul-13 19:20:10

Tomorrow I am going to Clean The Oven.
What are your preferred methods/products/magic tips to make me look like Queen of Cleaning?
It isn't disgustingly filthy, just generally grimy.

cakesonatrain Mon 15-Jul-13 11:50:41

I think self-clean ovens clean.themselves they get extra-hot and burn all the crud off, so smoke would be expected?

Alwayscheerful Mon 15-Jul-13 11:53:54

Yes Self clean ovens work at very high temperature, all the dirt is burnt off. I Put the oven racks in the dishwasher.

Rummikub Mon 15-Jul-13 12:07:03

Oh ok I won't be scared next time grin

Erm, do I put anything into oven? Cleaning product? Water?
Then do I wipe off the crud after the cycle is finished?
Thanks

Rummikub Mon 15-Jul-13 12:07:59

cakes how did your oven cleaning work out?

Alwayscheerful Mon 15-Jul-13 12:17:42

No nothing, just sweep the bits out.

Rummikub Mon 15-Jul-13 12:26:07

Brilliant! Sounds easy. I will give it a go. Thanks smile

Careful! My oven has a 'self-cleaning' setting but you have to put water and a bit of washing up liquid in the bottom and then wipe it all out afterwards!

I never use it blush

Rummikub Mon 15-Jul-13 12:34:31

What make is yours heart? Mines a neff. I've never cleaned mine either blush

melodyangel Mon 15-Jul-13 12:46:01

Right this is how I was shown how to do it by my mum. She would clean the oven almost every week!

Heat the oven with a bowl of water in the bottom, use brillo pads on the shelves and grill thingy and then wipe the oven with a cloth using bicarb on any stubborn areas. Once it's all clean I wipe again with Bicarb so it leaves a film of it on the oven interior and then this sort of soaks up the grease ready for next time - easy. I clean it once a month.

Oh and line the grill pan with foil.

cakesonatrain Mon 15-Jul-13 12:46:06

I went for the oven pride bag thingy for the shelves (they are marinating away nicely!) as it was reduced in Tesco, and have got a bowl of vinegary water cooking in the oven for (hopefully) easy wipage of the inside. The oven instructions said not to use evil cleaning products.
Currently rocking DD to sleep, so once she succumbs, I will go and effortlessly wipe the grime out of the oven grin

cakesonatrain Mon 15-Jul-13 12:47:26

We always use foil on the grill pan since the oven was new. 2 years on, it still looks good!

Alwayscheerful Mon 15-Jul-13 13:22:51

knowhow.com/article.dhtml?articleReference=1845&country=uk

instructions for cleaning Pyrolytic ovens.

MyDaydream Mon 15-Jul-13 13:28:30

I bought fake Oven Pride from the pound shop last time because I was cleaning the oven of our rented house on exit and didn't care about the results. It worked just as well and was obviously so much cheaper.

cakesonatrain Mon 15-Jul-13 14:23:09

Hmmm. Lack of evil cleaning products means inside of oven impossible to un-grimify sad
Also, Oven Pride bag leaks! Luckily it's outside.

Rummikub Mon 15-Jul-13 16:32:39

Thank you always

cakes that's disappointing for you sad

cakesonatrain Mon 15-Jul-13 17:52:46

It's less grimy to touch, but not pretty-looking.
The shelves etc are lovely and shiny though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now