Clothes like cardboard unless tumbled

(30 Posts)
milktraylady Fri 12-Jul-13 15:09:25

Hi can anyone tell me why our washing is like cardboard if I line dry it?
It's all lovely & soft when tumbled. But that is daft in the summer & expensive.

I've run the washing machine on a 90degree wash empty with no powder- no difference.

(We don't use softener, do use method Eco liquid, or daz powder for whites.)

We are in SE England with hard water. Do we just need to use fabric softener?
Got a newborn, so don't really want to use softener.

Thanks!

GobblersKnob Thu 18-Jul-13 15:22:06

I sometimes give things a quick tumble before I put them out, tends to solve the problem as does ironing.

But I also love crunchy stiff towels, hate soft fluffy ones, they give me a bit of a shudder grin

I love crunchy towels too grin

Fishandjam Thu 18-Jul-13 15:33:02

I'm in a really hard water area and find that fabric softener helps this problem. I've always used either Comfort Pure, or Fairy - no problems with either of my DCs. (The time I used bio wash liquid by mistake is another story! shock)

The only things that go really cardboardy are towels, and DH's jeans (not mine, for some reason). I just give them a really good shake before folding. Maybe 5 mins in the dryer if I'm feeling extravagant.

Sparkeleigh Sun 21-Jul-13 23:05:56

Seconding MNiscold, putting them in the drier for 5 mins before putting them on the line seems to fluff towels up and stop them going stiff and crunchy.

Gerty1002 Mon 22-Jul-13 09:56:14

A water softener like Calgon in your wash helps, but not sure if it's eco friendly. I use that alone on towels once in a while and it de-crunches them beautifully! I think white vinegar can be used in the same way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now