How do you clean a wicker laundry basket please?

(7 Posts)
Snowstorm Sat 29-Jun-13 18:06:09

Thanks for getting back to me - it was such a dull question that I didn't think anyone would! I think I binned the liner XX years ago but it's only just started smelling as though it needed a clean this week ... not sure why ... I seem to do so much laundry that nothing really gets a chance to fester.

In any case, I've read about cleaning it with bicarb of soda but have no idea how you'd do that without getting a kind of paste stuck to it! Febrese is okay on wicker then?

Cerisier Sat 29-Jun-13 17:21:17

Of course you should clean them if they don't have a liner. We have three baskets and two have liners. The one without has dirty underwear and all sorts in so does need a spruce up regularly. I should probably do it more often really.

You're supposed to clean them? confused

fussychica Sat 29-Jun-13 13:22:39

I have a material liner for my wicker basket which I throw in the washing machine regularly.
Same as Cerisier I also hose the actual basket once a year (the only good day of the summer is bestgrin) and leave outside to dry.

Cerisier Sat 29-Jun-13 12:40:59

About once a year I take mine in the garden, douse with fairy liquid and rinse with hose. It then dries for a day or two sitting on some newspaper.

Selba Sat 29-Jun-13 12:39:01

Wipe all over with a damp cloth, spray with Febrese and leave it sitting outside for a bit

Snowstorm Fri 28-Jun-13 18:50:25

Just noticed that mine's smelling a bit ... old socks and general laundry smells and it's not nice but am not sure how to go about cleaning it? Any top tips please? TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now