Hard water - limescale - cleaning

(17 Posts)
Casey Sat 29-Jun-13 13:33:03

So to prevent this kind of "build up" problem, what do I use to clean with (taps and so on) and how often?

Thanks

jalopy Sat 29-Jun-13 12:58:49

Agree about vinegar. I soak babywipes with vinegar and wrap them around taps, shower heads, etc. Works really well.

BoundandRebound Sat 29-Jun-13 12:52:10

Citric acid = powdered lemon

nancerama Sat 29-Jun-13 12:49:09

The underside of the tap thing - soak some kitchen paper in white vinegar and stick all over the scaley bits of the taps. Then wrap the taps in cling film, or put a sandwich bag over and secure with a rubber band (anything to stop the paper drying out). Leave for a few hours or overnight and then wipe.

BoundandRebound Sat 29-Jun-13 12:45:26

Citric acid.

Can put solution in a spray bottle and spray on difficult to reach also throw a load down toilet overnight and will soak away the limescale

Can get it from amazon

Re toilets...there is a harpic power plus, extra thick one which clings under the water line. It does work, you may still need to scrub a bit & if the limescale has been there are while it may take a few attempts.

Re toilets...there is a harpic power plus, extra thick one which clings under the water line. It does work, you may still need to scrub a bit & if the limescale has been there are while it may take a few attempts.

TwasBrillig Sat 29-Jun-13 12:29:38

Vinegar works in our kettle. We buy the cheapest possible. Fill the kettle and leave overnight. Boil fresh water in the morning to take away the taste.

ggirl Sat 29-Jun-13 12:28:34

yami...you need to push all the water out of the loo with brush to empty it , then loads of harpic 100% limescale toilet cleaner to sit on it and it may take a lot of scrubbing and trying again. ONce you have it clean you need to maintain it by cleaning regulalry with the harpic .

ggirl Sat 29-Jun-13 12:26:04

Viakal gel wins hands down for everything as it can sit in areas to work , paper towel soaked in it and wrapped onto awkward areas .

IME vinegar and lemon were useless

FieryChipotle Sat 29-Jun-13 12:10:02

I use white vinegar, works a treat! Stick some in a spray bottle, it strips the lime scale instantly and leaves everything sparkling. It doesn't smell great but the smell fades very quickly.

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 29-Jun-13 12:04:10

I have a burning query about how to get old limescale out if the loo. Mine is vile.

Hercy Thu 27-Jun-13 22:21:20

Reporting back.. Lemons are AMAZING!

Quartered one and attached it to the lime scale tap with rubber bands and a couple of hours later it just wiped off. I have been trying to get that tap free of line scale for bout 2 years!

Casey Thu 27-Jun-13 14:56:19

Thanks Hercy

Hercy Thu 27-Jun-13 09:31:50

Thinking about my tap problem, I'm going to try halving/quartering some lemons and attaching with rubber bands to to affected areas and leaving overnight then giving a good scrub. It works well on the kettle, so why not! Not sure whether I should boil them in water first though.

I shall report back with my findings!

Oh and for bathroom tiles, I use cilit bang and a window scraper (not sure if that's the right word, but looks like a big ice scraper and is for windows) as part of a normal bathroom clean, and every now and again use cilit bang and a scourer on the tiles for a deeper clean.

I never bother drying tiles, shower doors, sinks etc.

Hercy Thu 27-Jun-13 09:25:49

A good one I've found for kettles, is quarter a couple of lemons, put in kettle and fill to max capacity with water, boil then leave overnight. Much cheaper than descalers!

I found the cilit bang lime scale remover and a scourer quite effective for shower doors etc. I use viakal daily on my kitchen sink so never get a build up on the taps/ draining board.

I would love to know if anyone has any tips for the underside and side of taps, as any solution you put on it to soak, slides off almost immediately. I live in my OHs house, and they was a big build up before I moved in and I'm yet to tackle it effectively.

Casey Thu 27-Jun-13 08:35:50

OK We've moved into an area with hard water and I realise this is going to impact on cleaning. I've noticed even after one week some issues.

So what "maintenance" cleaning do I need to do to minimise the impact? Do I need to dry sinks and taps and so on all the time? What about shower tiles?

Any limescale cleaning tips appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now