Cleaning/Tidying for going on holiday - what is acceptable to leave?

(36 Posts)
DorisShutt Tue 25-Jun-13 16:58:32

Long story short, thanks to my late SAHM DM (lovely but a bit crackers!) I have what my DH thinks is an unreasonable level of expectation of cleanliness/tidiness before going away on holiday.

I was brought up to believe that the house should be tidied, cleaned, dusted and hoovered before we leave. There should be no dishes needing washed or clothing in the washing basket. Towels should also be clean as should bedding.

DH thinks I'm bonkers. He wants to come in from work, get into casual clothes, have a shower, stick his work clothes in the laundry basket and go. I'm twitching at the thought!

So what should and shouldn't be left? What's normal for you in terms of:
- tidying
- cleaning/dusting/hoovering
- washing bedding
- washing towels
- clothes left in the laundry basket?

DorisShutt Thu 27-Jun-13 07:01:54

Okay thanks people! thanks

I'm now feeling a little less stressed about DH coming home and leaving his work trousers and shirt in the laundry - that'll be the only things left really - towels and bedding plus any random clothes will all have been done that day. A few things will be drying, but that's not a bad thing for burglars I think! smile

Thanks again! thanks

Jan49 Wed 26-Jun-13 22:36:06

I would always wash up and dry up before leaving. Ideally I do a machine load of washing that I can hang up to dry so they are dry when we get back.

I can't think of any reason for doing the other things.confused You'll be using things like clothing and towels up to when you leave the house so how can you leave it all clean? I just leave whatever towels and bedding we're using at the time and there will always be some washing in the laundry baskets. I definitely wouldn't do any cleaning or hovering just because of going on holiday. I just do it as usual. I'm more concerned about safety (fire, leaks, burglary) so I unplug things, turn off the water and hide items like laptop computers. But our holidays are very short, usually up to 4 nights, so I'd probably be fussier if they were longer.

toolittletimetoomuchtodo Wed 26-Jun-13 20:27:28

I do a general tidy - beds, bathroom, etc. we do leave a couple of clean cups and a plate with some crumbs on the kitchen table more as a deterrent to anybody who happened to hop over the back fence and had a casual gander in the window in addition to leaving the lights and radio on a timer. As long as they are clean easy to dump in the dishwasher when we get back and no smells!

ShoeWhore Wed 26-Jun-13 15:07:45

Empty bins. Wash dishes. Wipe kitchen surfaces. Chuck any food likely to go off. Check dcs have flushed toilet. Clean path from front door to kitchen for cat-feeding neighbour grin

There's not usually much dirty washing hanging about as I always end up doing last minute loads of things I need to pack. But I'm not going to stress about a few things left in the dirty laundry basket.

BiddyPop Wed 26-Jun-13 11:06:26

Dirty dishes done, bins emptied and no perishable food in fridge.
Try to leave laundry basket empty and change sheets/towels the day before (so I have a half a chance to wash those too).
Try to have main bins (purple and green ones outside) collected in that week's collection (we pay by lift, so we generally only get them collected every 4-6 weeks, but I like to have it empty while we're away in summer).
General clean done - bathrooms, hoovering etc
Worst of the clutter piles dealt with.
IF I have time, I will tackle dusting, and windows.
And spend some time properly sorting the clutter piles.
Even less likely, but if by a miracle I have a few spare minutes, I will sort the paperwork basket.

But as DH and I both work FT, and we don't have a cleaner, once the dishes, fridge and bins are done, then the rest are all bonuses.

Oh, and I always make DH set up the sprinkler system on the timer and move all the pots to within the sprinkler range, so that I will still have veggies when I get home.

OnTheNingNangNong Wed 26-Jun-13 10:44:00

I try and clean everything before we go. There's nothing worse than coming home to a dishevelled house when you've had a lovely holiday.

WandaDoff Wed 26-Jun-13 10:39:41

I always intend to leave a clean tidy house, but fail as I'm lazy.

Usually manage to empty the bin & throw out any perishables though.

whatsonyourplate Tue 25-Jun-13 20:16:50

My theory is if you leave the house looking like it's already been burgled the burglars won't bother. I usually do the dishes though.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 25-Jun-13 20:04:29

I like to leave it so I will be pleased to come back to it.

Min

Anything that will go mouldy, dishes, empty fridge, wipe sides

clean toilet.

Empty bin

Hoover (other wise it will stink of dog)

Preferably.

Above and stuff away, Washing done (and put away dammit!)

hotbot Tue 25-Jun-13 19:46:32

We are also an everything done house.

chickensaladagain Tue 25-Jun-13 19:38:14

I was looking after a friend's cat once when she went away for a fortnight

She left curry pan and a couple of plates festering in 2 inches of water in the sink

I had to wash them up, I couldn't leave them for a fortnight!

If neighbours are in to feed the animals then I leave it clean enough that they don't judge. Otherwise it depends how busy I am.

Startail Tue 25-Jun-13 18:46:41

The house gets left in whatever state it gets left in, packing stressful enough without worrying about cleaning.

munchkinmaster Tue 25-Jun-13 18:42:15

I always mean to schedule a tesco delivery for when I come home but am so not organised.

AdoraBell Tue 25-Jun-13 18:31:35

I think about what I want when I return.

So, clean bed to crawl into, clean towels for a pre bed shower and nothing lurking in the fridge/ bread bin. I don't ever want to see what greeted me after one 3 week holiday. We'd absent mindedly put our breakfast things in the dishwasher. There was probably enough mold to start up a penicillin factory.

Also, a couple of week's maturing in a sealed house/Flat will make laundry rather erm, aromatic.

dashoflime Tue 25-Jun-13 18:31:30

Finnallygotaroundtoit: grin

Just take out or wash anything that might go mouldy

Finallygotaroundtoit Tue 25-Jun-13 18:26:21

Everyone knows you have to leave it clean enough that the burglars don't judge

PoppyWearer Tue 25-Jun-13 18:21:56

I do as much as is humanly possible - tidy, clean, dishwasher on (preferably through and emptied), laundry and ironing done including towels (I don't iron them).

Will leave a few things in the laundry basket if absolutely necessary.

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Jun-13 18:19:44

I don't dust or Hoover as we leave.
I like to come home (with piles of washing) knowing washing baskets at home empty and there are clean towels and sheets. I would never leave dirty dishes or a general mess. Cleaned out fridge a must too. Who wants to battle their way home through traffic to a tip?!?!

I like to change the beds, hoover, empty the bin, have very little laundry in the basket, and empty things that will go manky out of the fridge.

I usually come home to a house that is tidier than we usually keep it. It's a nice surprise every time grin

Bonsoir Tue 25-Jun-13 18:14:33

I leave it all clean as possible and get a cleaner in to do the floors, bathrooms etc while I am gone!

valiumredhead Tue 25-Jun-13 18:12:12

That was a massive joke btw!

MaureenMLove Tue 25-Jun-13 18:12:11

All of the above. I also treat myself to one of those air fresheners where the liquid is soaked up the sticks, so the house smells less stale when we get back! I am a bit OCD about a tidy house though and do run myself into the ground getting ready for holiday, but it means I can sleep my way through the flight and get on holiday quicker ! grin

valiumredhead Tue 25-Jun-13 18:06:23

I don't really have 'usual mess' <smug>wink

Parisbanana Tue 25-Jun-13 17:38:35

Washing up done, kitchen clean and fridge emptied of perishables.
Bins empty.
As little washing n the basket as possible.
Beds and towels done in the day or 2 beforehand.
Dusting and vacuuming done.
"stuff" put away

In my opinion, coming back from holiday all refreshed and relaxed, this feeling can last an awful lot longer if you aren't confronted by the usual mess and chores of everyday life the minute you step in the door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now