Life changing products or habits?

(43 Posts)
evelynj Mon 24-Jun-13 11:27:06

hi all

Just wondering if you have discovered something that has made your life easier, better or more efficient & if you'd kindly be willing to share?

My items that I can think of are

1. ettore window cleaning kit (a 12 inch 'mop' & squeegee - same as pro's use). About £20 off eBay & is such a quick and great job I've bought it for presents for everyone since. I will try to use it on the tiled bathroom later & confirm if it's a good job.

2. Latex pillows-like memory foam but better. Not as heavy & faster bounce-back-ability, (bit pricey tho but worth it).

3. Tweezerman tweezers. Just really good tweezers, ( also bought as presents for friends who didn't have them & they were appreciated)

Recent idea is to buy a years worth of birthday cards for all family-I'm off to do this at the cheap card shop today after a recent run of birthdays meaning wasting an extra 15 minutes here and there constantly getting cards.

Any tips from any areas greatly appreciated!

belatedmaybe Fri 12-Jul-13 03:40:12

2in1 steam cleaner and a good window dryer (rechargeable type) steam first then use the window dryer straight after and everything is clean and dry in no time. Use for floors, tiles, kitchen cupboards, ovens, windows, shower screens. ... and on and on! I can deep clean and dry a full bathroom (floor to ceiling tiles) in under 15 minutes. Honestly the best cleaning combination I have ever owned.

Like the duvets in pillowcases idea and washing in pillowcases!

evelynj Sat 13-Jul-13 23:03:46

Belated-I've never even heard of a window dryer-have you a make&model of this combo I could look up on amazon? Does sound great as long as it doesn't take up too much space and money!

Can believe another tip I forgot-for kids clothes, sort clothes into full outfits & store a days clothes all together in sections of one of those wardrobe hanging shoe storage things-about 15 holes in each. If you roll tops & bottoms they don't crease with underwear in middle if needs be, (this is good for me as my dh can't seem to assemble a half decent outfit for DS if left to his own devices).

zebrafinch Sun 14-Jul-13 10:38:05

I have the lakeland heated clothes. drier. I would recommend it. It has made a difference, house is tidier. it folds flat when not in use. I have a washer drier but do not use the drier part

belatedmaybe Sun 14-Jul-13 16:31:12
evelynj Sun 14-Jul-13 21:37:04

Ooh, thanks-I might check the Lakeland airer when I can get to the shop & look at it.

Belated-Have tasked dh with looking into steam mops-will get him to check this one out, cheers!

AlohaMama Mon 15-Jul-13 06:26:12

Wow I'm behind the times, never heard of steam cleaners or heated drying racks, but they sound great. Shamelessly lurking for more good ideas!

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Jul-13 06:41:50

I do one load of washing everyday, seems to keep on top of it.

TheRedRabbit Mon 15-Jul-13 06:42:21

Can you use a steam cleaner on engineered wood floors?

AlohaMama Mon 15-Jul-13 07:12:03

Wow I'm behind the times, never heard of steam cleaners or heated drying racks, but they sound great. Shamelessly lurking for more good ideas!

sudointellectual Mon 15-Jul-13 07:30:27

On birthdays etc

When I see something good recommended (often on here), I clip it and save it to Evernote tagged with the name (or names) and the tag present. I have everyone's birthday listed in a Google calendar, which emails me 7 days beforehand (with a link to my Evernote tag). I buy the present and send the card if doing that, or if not the calendar emails me again on the day and I email/FB them.

This only took me about half an hour to set up one day a few years ago and I've never missed a birthday since. It was so useful as well to just be able to share the Family Dates subcalendar to my dad's phone after my mum died and he was suddenly responsible for knowing things like birthdays. Have since shared the family calendar with my sibs and we can add in stuff and everyone updates automagically.

I've got my birthday card reminders set up on www.thedogsdoodahs.com - I like their sense of humour so when a reminder pops up I usually personalise one of their card designs as well.

I have been wondering about getting something like that heated airer. I'm in a flat with no outdoor space and no room for a tumble drier, so while it's not too bad in the hot weather, in the winter it feels like my clothes take two days to dry on the ordinary airer.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Jul-13 21:51:44

I would be reluctan to use steam on wood.

Two things that upset timber are moisture and heat.

flipflopper Tue 23-Jul-13 22:02:44

Magic eraser sponges.
They really are magic! Great for wiping down painter, kitchen cupboard doors et. No scrubbing needed, just warm water.
I buy them from the cheap shop. £1for four.

flipflopper Tue 23-Jul-13 22:03:05

Magic eraser sponges.
They really are magic! Great for wiping down painter, kitchen cupboard doors et. No scrubbing needed, just warm water.
I buy them from the cheap shop. £1for four.

flipflopper Tue 23-Jul-13 22:03:39

Paintwork that should say. Bloody phone

Dontwanttobeyourmonkeywrench Tue 23-Jul-13 22:05:01

My steam mop and Persil's stain eraser ball. With a teen and a 6yr old, both are in constant use!

Beancounters Wed 24-Jul-13 20:56:03

Hob brite is brilliant on halogen hobs, but I use it to clean just about everything, it's like a much improved version of jif cream. 3 things in life are the answer to everything hob brite, gaffer tape and chocolate cake.

oohdaddypig Wed 24-Jul-13 21:00:20

Shamelessly marking...with nothing to add but picking up a loads of tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now