What is your housekeeping routine?

(168 Posts)
pecka Mon 29-May-06 14:38:41

Come on..... love to read about peoples domestic habits.

What do you do to make sure how is tidy and clean throughout the week (or not as the case may be)

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 14:39:10

eh??
you've lost me

WideWebWitch Mon 29-May-06 14:41:28

Our cleaner comes on Mon, Weds and Friday for 2 hours each time. So it's always more or less ok!

WideWebWitch Mon 29-May-06 14:42:09

And where we were living before I couldn't get one for love nor money so it is about time and absolutely liberating!

Mercy Mon 29-May-06 14:56:52

Unfortunately I have no routine whatsoever, which is probably why my house looks like a charity shop.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether I should just clean and tidy where it shows, or to tackle one room thoroughly, even if it takes all day long (or all week in the case of our bedroom)

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 14:58:32

My au pair does it.

lahdeedah Mon 29-May-06 14:58:45

Okay I will share... No cleaner in this household unfortunately! Usually this is roughly how it goes:

Mondays - clean kitchen/sort laundry (usually end up with about 6 loads that get done over the next few days)
Tuesdays - mop floors/vacuum carpets
Wednesdays - clean bathroom

I have a quick tidy up every evening while DH is bathing DD (i.e. chuck toys and books back in boxes). Everything else gets done as and when.

colditz Mon 29-May-06 14:59:38

My house is a slatternly mess.

what I do to try to control the mess, is bark at dp "Don't you bloody dare leave that there, is it dirty? Where do dirty clothes go? Then put it there!"

Twiglett Mon 29-May-06 15:00:39

I invite people round .. which makes me frantically clear up the mess and hoover

and on weds the cleaner comes

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:01:32

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Mon 29-May-06 15:08:08

Go round everyday after dropping kids to school putting things back.

Bleach down toilet everyday.

Sweep downstairs every day (no carpet down stairs)

do washing and put washing out, and sort and put away everyday. Run dishwasher everyday.

Clean bathroom 3-4 times a week (once thoroughly and the rest with cleaning wipes)

Polish 1-2 a week

Clean floors every other day

Hoover every other day

change beds once a week

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:09:22

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Mon 29-May-06 15:10:59

Pruni - please come round and see it now. It looks burgled

moondog Mon 29-May-06 16:01:28

The secret is to keep on top of it by doing a little ever day,never go to bed without making sure all is shipshape,and keeping posessions and ..things to an absolute minimum.
Also no shoes in house and train your kids that what they pull out must go back.

SleepyJess Mon 29-May-06 16:11:12

Housekeeping routine.... pah!!

moondog Mon 29-May-06 16:13:11

Easy to sneer but sorted home means there's far more time and energy to devote to really interesting stuff.

SleepyJess Mon 29-May-06 16:17:08

I'm not sneering.. I'm despairing - of myself!!

Roobie Mon 29-May-06 16:18:00

Very much of the school of avoiding making a mess in the first place here.
- no clutter (draconian toy regime and non-hoarding philosophy!)

- do a very little bit often

- don't have a routine, just do things that need doing when you spot they need doing

charliecat Mon 29-May-06 16:57:20

shove it all in my bedroom and hoover, spend all night once the guests have gone finding my bed under a housefuls worth of clutter

moondog Mon 29-May-06 19:47:36

I'll sort you out SJ!
What's the biggest problem then?

foxinsocks Mon 29-May-06 19:51:13

I keep the loo/sink/kitchen surfaces clean but like Twiglett, I reserve any proper cleaning/tidying for when we have people round

Also, dh + kids are king of clutter. There's not a surface in this house that isn't covered with either books, papers or just pointless stuff that never gets thrown away.

moondog Mon 29-May-06 19:52:49

Just throw it.
That's my strategy.
(Recycle rather.)

Jessajam Mon 29-May-06 19:58:50

For me, the biggest problem is time, followed by motivation ( twig/pruni...me too! and our bedroom is ALWAYS a total pile, cos none of our visitors need to go in there so it is the repository for everything else!!!) followed by having too much stuff that needs sorting before any of it can be recycled/sold/donated/binned...

moondog Mon 29-May-06 19:59:47

Sort it!
It will take less time to sort it than it will mildly stressing about it for weeks,nay months.

FloatingOnTheMed Mon 29-May-06 20:03:32

I wash up/clean surfaces every time i cook a meal, and while dd is watching breakfast telly i do any leftover washing up & the laundry (every 2 days). I choose a morning when we don't have to go out to do the big chores like clean out the fridge, hoovering etc etc, (dd is v chilled out so i can pretty much do it uninterrupted, or with a willing companion )
We have tidy up time before bathtime so all toys etc are put away .i use that time if there's other tidying to do too or quick dusting etc. And i clean the bathroom while dd is in the bath about once a week (the sink more often)

FloatingOnTheMed Mon 29-May-06 20:04:07

oh btw i am a SAHM i have no idea how i'd cope if i was a WOHM! I do nothing house related in the evenings at all!

Olipop Mon 29-May-06 20:18:12

After birth of ds discovered that usual cleaning adhoc system just didn't happen anymore (and spending more time at home looking at it all and getting cross). I must confess to creating a very obsessive spreadsheet! I have a column for the jobs (split into weekly, fortnightly and monthly) and then a column for each week. I fill in the day that I have done the job and I find its really helping to motivate me. Nothing more satisfying than filling in a box! I stick it inside a cupboard and hope none of my friends spot it as they would have an hysterical fit!

PrincessBorisofBorisland Mon 29-May-06 20:19:17

Do what I can every day after work, dishes sweep up etc

washing clothes twice a week, more if needed

big clean up on a sunday

Caligula Mon 29-May-06 20:22:06

I watch Desperate Housewives or Anthea Turner or How Clean is your House and that inspires me for an hour.

Must design strict childcareguruwhomustnotbementioned-like regimental household timetable. Along the lines of polish wooden furniture at 10am, at 1015 have cup of tea with just one biscuit, at 1022 clean sofas etc.

foundintranslation Mon 29-May-06 20:27:40

Clean bathroom once a week

Clean floors in kitchen and living room every 2-3 days plus wipe area around table after every meal, clean bedroom floor once a week

Do washing as and when necessary

Wash up twice a day (no dishwasher )

Tidy toys away every evening before ds' bedtime

Change beds every couple of weeks

Plus every three weeks it's our turn to clean the floor on our landing and the steps going down to the next floor (we live in a 4-storey house with 3 flats on each floor)

JackieNo Mon 29-May-06 20:34:44

Bits as and when. Washing most evenings. Cleaners once every 2 weeks, which makes us tidy up properly. But when guests come (as they have this weekend) we, like charliecat, end up with strange things in our bedroom that have had to come out of the spare room. This weekend it's been a big pile of spare duvets, 2 wetsuits and a Christmas tree made of twigs that for some reason hasn't yet been put back in the loft.

OzJo Tue 30-May-06 04:04:06

Endless daily washing up/ washing clothes ( don't iron a thing)...clear floor space in Tv room at the end of each day, with help from Dd 3...all other serious cleaning stuff just gets done when it's bad enough to make me feel guilty ( not often)...or if there's people coming over....no cleaner, just get Dp to clean the toilet as I hate it...and I gave birth twice, so he owes me.

FlameBoo Tue 30-May-06 08:31:05

I have no organisation, house a dump, getting very depressed about it all, but never seem to be able to stick to a routine for more than about 2 days.

I seem to recall something about if you do something every day for 30 days it becomes habit and you are less likely to slip out of it, but I gotta get to 30 first!!!!

Today I do have washing going round... but it is sunny outside, DD is asking me to play, and it all seems unimportant

jellyjelly Tue 30-May-06 08:39:55

Clean kitchen very well every evening as well as cleaning the living room, porch, hall and stairs (pretty much all of downstairs) on alot of the days. I hoover and sweep all the floors.

Clean the bathroom 3 times a week, change bedding every thursday and wash other stuff every day.

Mop the floors most days and clean the fridge once a week too.

I tend to clean alot and like having cleaness around me but i dont polish enough as i should.

QE Tue 30-May-06 08:46:03

Clean bathroom/shower room and toilets once a week - no set day just when i can fit it in. If the skidmarks become too unbearable then I might consider doing it more often.

Kids have a chore each every day so little things get done regularly. I go round after them when they're not looking if need be to do it properly!

Laundry every day as and when - this can sometimes be 3-4 times a day depending on how many football matches my boys have had.

Hide things that need ironing under the stairs for a month until no-one has any clothes left in their wardrobe so it MUST be done.

Mop floors once a week. Don';t do it more often as I like to make out funny faces in the dirt.

Change beds about every 10 days.

Polish when seeing the kids graffiti scrawled in it gets too obvious.

Hoover the stairs when I can't stand the bits sticking to the bottom of my feet.

Inviting people round definitely motivates me more to keep on top of things. So I don't invite anyone round very often, slattern that I am.

ggglimpopo Tue 30-May-06 08:49:57

Message withdrawn

mummyhill Tue 30-May-06 08:53:15

Am slowly transforming tip to a house by concentrating on one room at a time. When I first strated everytime I turned round it looked 10 time worse. Now I flit round in the morning whilst the kids are having breakfast and straighten the room I have done. We do our morning activity (preferably out of the house) Come in have lunch and stack dishwasher. DD goes to Nursery and ds has a nap in the afternoon so I get two hrs straight to get on with target room otherwise I get on with it when I come in from work at midnight as I have a clear run of the hse with no distractions. Hopefully by the end of June I will no longer feel embaressed (sp is getting worse) by my home.

blueshoes Tue 30-May-06 09:02:05

I work pt. I have 1-2 hours from the time I get home at around 4 pm to when I collect dd from nursery at 5:30 pm to get my housework sorted - this is because once dd is home, I have to be her active playmate and chaperone, with little chance of sneaking off or working around her.

Top of my list during that time is getting dinner ready, do washing up, laundry, folding, sorting out bills/admin, dealing with tradesmen, grocery shop etc. Some tidying, perhaps wiping surfaces if I am feeling virtuous. Only clean toilet and kitchen if very grubby (at most once a week) or when guests come. Cleaner comes once a fortnight to do a deep clean. No routine, just firefighting.

Once dd is home at 6pm, the only thing I might get away with is tidying when she is playing (perhaps 5 mins at a go, if I am lucky).

Once dd is in bed at 8:30pm, dh and I have dinner, wash up dishes, more tidying, shower/personal hygiene. Then time for bed ... and the cycle begins again!

speedymama Tue 30-May-06 09:35:20

DH is ruthless when it comes to tidyness and it has rubbed off on me now. Our DTS, who are 27 months, have already been trained in the way of tidiness and they will pack away their toys and books before their evening bath. They only take out the toys that they want to play with and put them away when they have finished [smug emoticon]

DH is responsible for cleaning bathroom and downstairs cloakroom (once a week), empties bins when necessary and is fastidious about removing clutter every day. I vacuum the whole house once a week, wash clothes twice a week, clean kitchen thoroughly once a week but wipe surfaces as I go everyday. I also do the ironing about twice a week but as I like ironing and folding clothes , it always gets done. Dusting is done as and when it is required.

We prefer to live in a tidy house because you then have more time to do other things, can always find what you are looking for and it is less stressful. I have even started baking biscuits and growing vegetables because I have so much time (and I work 3 days a week, am studying for a diploma in computing plus I am endeavouring to become more fluent in German)

SSSandy Tue 30-May-06 09:53:36

Every morning: superficially bathroom, toilet and kitchen (but not inside cupboards, wall tiles), vacuum and mop all the floors. Load dishwasher, load washing machine.
Then I do one room a day more intensively: Monday - living room,etc
Friday - major clean everywhere so it's clean for the weekend.

Try to avoid cleaning windows on the basis that it may well rain sometime soon, so why bother? Ironing I leave to pile up until it starts falling off the chair or reaches the ceiling. SAHM with 1 kid in daycare

alicemama Tue 30-May-06 10:01:43

Ohhh this is so depressing....I have no routine whatsoever apart from washing dd2's nappies every other day. Everything else gets done as and when, really shoud get into routine!!
dh does the dishes/kitchen every night and helps out with ironing now and again.

Oh where does the time go?????
2 children,new puppy and v.upset cat! oh yes I spend the odd minute or two on here

NomDePlume Tue 30-May-06 10:02:07

I don't have a specific schedule but generally I fit the following into a week

- Mop kitchen/hall downstairs loo floors every other day (stupid glossy finish, shows up EVERYTHING).

- Hoover kitchen/hall/downstairs loo floors twice a day (again, that dastardly finish)

- Hoover lounge daily

- Hoover & mop bathrooms and ensuite twice a week

- Clean bathroom suites thoroughly twice a week

- I tidy as I go along (hate clutter so there's not much to get in the way)

- 1 load of laundry a day (at least, depending on the weather)

- Change my bedding weekly and the kids' fortnightly.

- Clean inside of windows once a month (window cleaner does the outside)

We are also a no shoe household, cream carpet and high gloss creamy floors means it's a total no-brainer

NomDePlume Tue 30-May-06 10:02:52

Oh yes, dishwasher is filled/run/emptied as and when

NomDePlume Tue 30-May-06 10:06:48

Just remembered other stuff too...

- Clean out fridges properly once a fortnight (obv I wipe up spills etc as they happen)

- Defrost freezers once every 6 months and clean them out properly.

- Clean inside of kitchen cupboards thoroughly once every 6 months (again clearing up spills etc as and when)

Raggydoll Tue 30-May-06 10:08:40

dishwasher once a day
2 loads of washing every day
ds tidies all his toys away before he goes to bed
hoover every day due to amount of food dropped by ds and dd.
wipe kitchen surfaces after loading dishwasher
bleach toilets every day
blitz downstairs once a week
blitz upstairs once a week
clean bathroon and showerroom once a week
change beds once a fortnight
never iron
window cleaner comes once a month
grocery shopping once a week

i'm at home 5 days and at work the other 2

MadameClarydeClary Tue 30-May-06 10:18:47

Oooh loving this!
This is going to be my fave topic I can tell....
My laundry routine (much sneered at by my colleagues, but I’m never drying my hands at their houses ) is towels Monday, our bedlinen Weds, kids bedlinen Fri, wash all these as soon as changed (so that’s 4 loads).
Other washing as and when through week, prefer not to wash on Sundays (but have had trouble getting it dry lately with all the bad weather).
Ironing - secret is to keep on top of it, do about an hour every evening tho it has got strangely out of hand over last few days.
Hoover downstairs every day, usually after the kids have gone to bed. Big dust/clean downstairs about once a week. Hoover stairs a couple of times a week, upstairs twice a week, once is cursory (so OK after lights out (nothing wakes my lot)), once a big clean up, hoover picture rails etc, so needs to be done in day (usually Sunday, tho did it yesterday morning this week).
Clean bathroom once a week if it’s lucky (hate that job).
Cook every evening, DH washes up.
Tidy up every day but there are far too many toys. Need to have a clearout esp as birthdays are approaching for ds1 and dd....
Whew that sounds very organised. I always say my house is very untidy but quite clean, and everyone has clean clothes and nice food to eat.

still expecting my first so general tidy everyday 1 wash a day wash bedclothes every sat gut from top to bottom every two weeks or when mood strikes me dishwasher goes on everyday iron about twice a month its going to be fun when baba comes along as havent got a clue what im gonna do

MadameClarydeClary Tue 30-May-06 10:34:59

NdP, what you need is a frost-free freezer, a wonderful invention!
Quite at some of you - cleaning bathroom 3x a week, very impressive. Speedymama, I thought I was busy!
(I should add that I WOTH 30hrs/week so most of my cleaning is done in the pm. )

Helenemjay Tue 30-May-06 10:35:50

I seem to spend my life cleaning and tidying and hoovering etc but my house always seems such a mess! i dont know how! maybe im just really crap at the whole housekeeping thing!

Helenemjay Tue 30-May-06 10:37:55

Although my friend who like me also has small children around has the most immaculate house and i cant for the life of me figure out how she manages it! [sob sob sob] lol

LadyCodofCOdford Tue 30-May-06 10:38:05

is nayoen relal yinterested aor ar ehtey juist ussing htis as cataharsis?

LadyCodofCOdford Tue 30-May-06 10:38:22

is anyone really interested or are they just using this as cathaarsis?

sassy Tue 30-May-06 10:40:39

Thanks for translation/instant subtitles Cod.

(did you see comment by someone earlier who said they thought you were typing in patois, and reads your posts in a jamaican accent?)

LadyCodofCOdford Tue 30-May-06 10:44:21

oh ho yes
i am crap typer.

sassy Tue 30-May-06 10:46:33

My routine is roughly...

Wash clothes as and when - approx 1 load per day.

Clean upstairs, change beds etc once a week - polish about 1 week in 2, other weeks general tidy round and hoover. Hoover stairs.

Clean bathroom and loo once, sometimes twice a week, change towels same day.

Polish lounge once week, hoover most days (laminate floor and small children!); mop floor about twice a week.

Wipe kitchen surfaces frequently, kitcen table ditto. Hoover kitchen floor most days, mop twice a week.

(spend about an hour a day doing all this - not too bad realy. About another hour a day on endless toy-tidying though.)

sassy Tue 30-May-06 10:47:13

Cod - really?

MadameClarydeClary Tue 30-May-06 10:47:44

cod, it's cathartic yes, but I am also interested.
For example, it has reminded me that I need to tidy out some of our toys/games (always good car boot fodder.
Aslo fascinated by the differences, eg how does Boobylicious (great name!) do washing once a day with no babies when I only do 8-9 loads a week with 3 smalls?

ggglimpopo Tue 30-May-06 11:30:08

Message withdrawn

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 11:35:51

I've just read all this and have realised six things

1) you all do too much damn housework
2) - no actually they're all the same thing, I just kept thinking it over and over as I progressed through the thread

speedymama Tue 30-May-06 11:36:28

No, no, no! It is not about oneupman ship. I'm interested in learning about how others use their time with respect to their household chores in case there is something that I can adopt in my own routine. I think it is excellent that others are prepared to share what they do. I'm sure I am not alone in wondering how a family, where both parents work full time, manage to keep their house in order.

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 11:48:08

and stop BLEACHING the damn toilets daily!

they don't need it - and it's really, really bad for the environment

MadameClarydeClary Tue 30-May-06 12:00:18

speedymama, the answer to your last question is, we don't! lol.

speedymama Tue 30-May-06 12:09:44

. I must be sad then!

foundintranslation Tue 30-May-06 12:10:50

I'm just interested because I'm nosey.
Most of you do seem to do more than we do

Mercy Tue 30-May-06 12:13:15

FIT - snap!

LIZS Tue 30-May-06 12:22:00

Do a full-ish clean with hoovering, bathrooms and tidy up twice a week - usually Monday and Friday. Dusting and wash hard floors once a week. In between as and whatever needs it including kitchen surfaces and cooker top every day, loos etc and dustbust under dining table and around lounge. Washing about 4/5 loads per week - bedding/towels on Friday and school stuff over the weekend.

noddyholder Tue 30-May-06 12:31:39

Is this for real?Housekeeping routine!

SSSandy Tue 30-May-06 12:31:56

Now I have some kind of a routine, I find it a lot easier to keep on top of the housework (except ironing which I loathe but I did 2 hours of it this morning for a change). I find if you clean a bit every day, it doesn't take very long. If you do the bathroom once a week, it is a big job but if you whip around every morning, it only takes (me) 10 minutes.

I compare myself to my mum and have no idea how she managed. Her house was heaps bigger, she had 3 kids (not 1) and worked part-time (I'm a SAHM), yet she was always on top of it all, and did the ironing and cooked and baked a lot more and a lot better than I do. Mind you she hated it all too but she did a heaps better job.

LIZS Tue 30-May-06 12:52:29

hardly a "routine" as such, just a loose mental approach to the housework to fit around what is going on ie. ds' sports kit goes back on a Tuesday so it has to be washed and dried for then .

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 12:57:44

I'm alarmed at the idea that cleaning my bathroom should be a 'big job'

a few years ago I bought a book for dh called 'Keeping House - the lost art of being a man'

it's aimed at blokes who have no clue about housework and just tells them what needs doing, when, and how

it's really sensible and has none of this rubbish about cleaning your bathroom daily or endless bleaching and polishing

ffs as long as things aren't dusty, aren't dirty or aren't slimy it seems to me that everything is okay

LilacBump Tue 30-May-06 13:13:00

hoover: daily downstairs, weekly upstairs
tidy up: every evening when DD is in bed and DP at work.
dishes: once a day
bathroom: cleaned once a week, wiped daily
laundry: every two days
dusting: twice a week

bedrooms get a good clean once a week (hoover, dust and change sheets). towels get changed twice a week.

DD (nearly 5) is responsible for tidying her toys and feeding the cat.
DP mows the grass, does all DIY, cooks at the weekend and does the dishes with me.

poppadum Tue 30-May-06 13:18:13

I am a complete slattern. I now have an excuse; my very clingy two year old will not let me get anything done. I have tried letting him help, giving him his own duster and so forth, but he is simply not interested ( can't blame him there)> How do you get the screams of "Mummy, mummy" to stop long enough to clean? I am too tired to do him after the kids are in bed. The whole house is slowly getting stickier and stickier!

jenk1 Tue 30-May-06 13:18:25

im going to have to admit that i go by Kim and Aggies book as my routine was going to pot before that.

So,
Monday- Clean Bathroom and change beds, dust and hoover all bedrooms and stairs
Tuesday-Clean outside Loo,Thoroughly clean and hoover hall
Wednesday-Clean all glass in house,Dust everywhere and hoover downstairs.
Thursday-Just a quick clean and tidy and pay my bills (just like Bree of Desperate Housewives!!)
Friday- Thoroughly clean kitchen and cupboards etc
Saturday and Sunday are family days and we just tidy and clean up as we go along.

Every day when DH is putting kids to bed i clean surfaces in kitchen and sweep floor and give it a quick mop and tidy toys away.

I used to be really obsessive and spend all my time cleaning but i made myself ill so my sister bought me Kim and Aggies book and i read it and it really does help me to have a routine.

Oh and i iron as and when we need clothes and do a daily washing machine load.

eenywifemum Tue 30-May-06 13:29:20

every day I tidy up each room, then do the 'day time' dishes (dh does the after dinner dishes) and twice a week I hoover. I do laundry every day... and on weekends when DH is around I make him help me tackle the few remaining piles of clutter around the house or bigger projects that I find difficult to do in my current state of pregnancy.

Then of course I do a mad cleaning spree whenever guests are imminent!

Routine has been totally ignored the last several days as I am ill and now I am looking around at the growing amount of work to do and feeling very daunted! It's much easier when you do a little every day!

Jenk1 you sound so organised! I have the Kim & Aggie book but havent opened it in months I must have another look and try to get more out of it!

clairemow Tue 30-May-06 14:01:27

Oh my goodness. I am a failed housewife. I do tidy toys away every day, and the house is quite neat, and the washing gets done - but I clean the bathroom maybe once a week - but not on a regular day - and stuff toilet duck down the toilet every other day or so, and wipe the kitchen as I go along. Mop the kitchen floor when I can no longer live with the mess - about once a week-fortnight. And the hoover comes out maybe once every 10 days. I comfort myself with the thought that DS seems to have a v. strong immune system, and rarely gets ill (only been sick once - he's 2), so it can't be that bad.

I never do any ironing at all and go out of my way to buy things that don't need it. DH irons his own shirts. I have never ironed a duvet or underwear- why do people do that???

Agree with someone who said to stop bleaching the loo every day - very bad for the environment...

FrayedKnot Tue 30-May-06 14:08:22

I work p/t so I do stuff in the afternoons / early evening.

Daily - empty dishwasher, put washing on, cook supper, wash up pots after supper, put dishwasher on, hang out / tumble dry washing, & fold up & put away, make pack lunches, clean round kitchen work surfaces etc.

Every 2-3 days - hoover downstairs, empty bins.

Weekly - change beds, clean bathroom & loos, wash kitchen floor, hoover down & upstairs, dust something somewhere.

Monthly - big clean on Saturday morning, go through whole house doing everything thoroughly.

Most of you much cleaner than me. I like to be tidy tho.

Cleaner once a week for 3 hours
Hoover downstairs on sat as that's when dirt is visible again after cleaner
Mop when necessary (battery mop fab)
Clean kitchen work surfaces after every meal
Dishwasher every day
Laundry every day
dp does toilet 3 times a week
tidy tidy tidy all day long

When house gets to chaos, I set time limits for tasks e.g. 10 mins to sort a room otherwise I'll faff.

Also, size of house makes difference here? No-one has mentioned. No. of children/age of children too? I only have one toddler with small clothes Surprisingly little mention of what dp's/dh's do to assist, if anything.

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 14:13:00

clairemow you're not a failed housewife, you're one of the most sensible people on here

I honestly can't believe how much people clean. And like you said, ds has not been ill from you not cleaning as much.

I honestly believe a lot of people make mountains out of molehills when it comes to housework. What's the worst that's going to happen if they don't dust every other day?

motherinferior Tue 30-May-06 14:14:23

I'm in Cappucino's gang.

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 14:15:58

oooh! have I got a gang?

how exciting

LIZS Tue 30-May-06 14:16:53

I don't get how the bathroom an take that long- 15 mins max. Clean loo, wipe along window sill and around basin and bath, use shower to rinse, wipe all the tiles about once a month, e-cloth the chrome and shower screen ,hoover/mop floor. Done ! Might do most of it while kids are in the bath and then finish off next day.

Tutter Tue 30-May-06 14:16:54

(1) extract cash from purse
(2) give to cleaner

grumpyfrumpy Tue 30-May-06 14:21:47

LOL at tutter, that's what I do too at WWW who's cleaner comes 3 times a week.

Gingerbear Tue 30-May-06 14:42:41

Don't your menfolk do any of this?
Why is it that women have to bear the brunt of cleaning up after the family? I would love to have a routine, but organising one that DH would stick to is nigh on impossible

clairemow Tue 30-May-06 14:43:01

Cappucino, might also join your "gang"...

Guess housekeeping is a v. individual thing. I'd rather go to the park than clean (house stays cleaner if I'm out...). DH says that on days when I'm working (I work 2 days from home), the house is really messy when he gets in, much worse than if I'm here with DS! Think I am just a naturally messy person, who feels more comfortable in some nice clean (all right, maybe slightly dusty) clutter than in a house where everything has a place and stays in it.

Someone mentioned DHs - DH unloads the dishwasher, does all ironing required (i.e. his own!), often polishes the coffee table and does most of the hoovering upstairs and the stairs. He never changes the bed (but then I do that after a nose test... probably once every 10 days or so). But I think he does as much as me to be honest.

EmmyLou Tue 30-May-06 14:52:31

Much the same as clairemow - i do iron maybe an hour a week or every other week but its mostly my stuff. Thank the powers that be every day for the fact that dh never wears a shirt. Have a cleaner for 2 hours a week and a big hairy dog that comes home from work (he goes with dh) covered in dust every day and stands in living room and SHAKES.

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 14:53:27

come in, clairegow, make yourself at home

the floor's the cleanest thing, so if you want to put your biscuit down, that's the best place

my philosophy is that my kids can't eat the dust on the top of the bookcases

motherinferior Tue 30-May-06 14:55:06

Does dust get on top of bookcases?

And more importantly how on earth do you know?

moondog Tue 30-May-06 14:56:35

It is nice to have a bit of order though.

Just done a load of ironing and made two meals.
Feeling v pleased with self.

speedymama Tue 30-May-06 15:04:38

I can't live in chaos and having order gives you more time to do more things. As I said earlier, I am now baking biscuits because I have the time to do it. An orderly house means more time to spend with DC and to perfect your culninary skills. Give it a go!

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 15:08:45

motherinferior you only notice if you want to get a book from the top shelf

which is exactly my point

motherinferior Tue 30-May-06 15:12:50

I don't live in an absolute tip, although I have been known to stomp and bellow about how the Inferiority Complex has all the domestic charm of a Manila slag-heap...but no, the routine here is that our very nice cleaner comes (and also does the ironing) once a week. We keep the loo clean because I am a bit phobic about keeping the loo clean. If the cats and/or Inferiorettes have rendered a rug too unspeakable I might concede to running a hoover over it. We wipe up after cooking and eating. Er, that's it. I think.

FrayedKnot Tue 30-May-06 15:13:24

Sticky carpets make me phobic, it's not a "oh I think I might clean up" thing, it's a "can't relax until I have cleaned" thing.

I'd like to be more like clairemow and NOT CARE.

OK I'm weird.

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 15:16:26

frayedknot what do you have to do to a carpet to make it sticky?

it's not that i don't care, it's just, well, I don't do much cleaning but nothing is ever sticky

or slimy. or grimy. or mouldy.

it's just not sterile

motherinferior Tue 30-May-06 15:17:38

Apple juice makes carpets sticky, I happen to know.

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 15:19:26

lol

motherinferior Tue 30-May-06 15:21:35

And probably Unspeakable Sexual Acts, but I am clearly not Desperate enough a Housewife for those.

LadyGreensleevesofGreendale Tue 30-May-06 15:25:20

"housekeeping routine"

<<horrid laughter>>

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 15:27:03

LadyGreensleeves you'll be joining me in the Coffee House then?

MadameClarydeClary Tue 30-May-06 15:28:05

Now cappucino, I agree about bleaching the loo daily...
But I think it helps me personally to have a sort of routine.
My colleagues laugh at me for “towels day” (if any of them are MN-ers they’ll know me now lol) but then I know how long towels have been out so there’s no danger of manky (IMO) 10-day old towels. Ditto for bedlinen.
The hoovering etc is only because I can’t stand to look at the carpet being skanky. And I actually like ironing (don’t do underwear tho).
I close my eyes to the mess quite effectively, and DH is a great hoarder so it’s just as well. DD/DS2 share a room and the stuff in there is unbelievable. I push it all to the sides and hoover around it.
I too am surprised by how little some DHs do. Maybe some of the people posting that they do it all are SAHMs (in which case it’s probably fair enough). My DH doesn’t like ironing and is allergic to the hoover (lol) but he does sort out bills, arrange insurance, bank money for the kids and lots of other important stuff. Also he periodically tidies the kitchen cupboards and other major projects I just cannot be bothered with.

<<MI you are so funny, I think you should write a very funny book (for me to read instead of my book club's latest offering)>>

Helenemjay Tue 30-May-06 15:30:26

My mother-in-law is fanatical - she scrubs everything! we have been down over christmas just after they have had christmas dinner and had loads of people round and its still absolutley spotless!!
I have seen her on her hands and knee's at 11 o'clock at night scrubbing the kitchen floor! she even has a toothbrush for the skirting boards and a toothbrush for the worktops

Cappucino Tue 30-May-06 15:35:19

<rolls on floor laughing like a Smash robot>

cat64 Tue 30-May-06 15:52:26

Message withdrawn

sugarfree Tue 30-May-06 16:05:50

If you just leave dust alone,it only gets so deep,then it stops.Kind of like pubic hairs knowing when to stop growing.

MadameClarydeClary Tue 30-May-06 16:21:42

cat 64, I no longer bring work home (hurrah!) If you do then I think you are excused any cleaning!
Children in bed by 7.30pm, start dinner for self and DH if not already eaten, hoover then. Honestly if I don't do it and anyone has been in the house at all the floor is a mess.
Takes about 10 mins.
If you like I will time myself tonight and report back.....

NomDePlume Tue 30-May-06 16:23:27

I am a SAHM now, but even when I was working full time with 2 DSs I still vacuumed the downstairs daily, it took about 5 mins to give it a quick going over.

motherinferior Tue 30-May-06 16:25:07

The bottom line is...

I hate housework. I don't like living in a pit, so we don't live in an absolute pit - or not by my standard - but housework is not top of my Exciting Things To Do list.

Cooking, yes. Sitting around with a gory novel, certainly. Even work. But not dusting.

alibag Tue 30-May-06 16:30:53

Housekeeping and routine are words not usually found in the same sentence in my house...
sugarfree, it was Quentin Crisp who said that the first seven years are the hardest, after that you just don't notice the dust getting any worse. I get to a few weeks and then can't stand it so I'll never test his theory!

fennel Tue 30-May-06 16:38:26

as a card carrying feminist i feel duty bound to do no more than DP. which isn't very much.

our most regular routine is the weekly yell by me to him about the level of squalor. when we have a cleaner, intermittently, the weekly cleaning row gets left out of the routine, replaced by weekly desperate clutter clear to render the place fit for cleaner to see.

Northerner Tue 30-May-06 16:41:48

My dh is very good at housework, rather anal about kitchen claenliness. He loves cleaning fridge, oven, stove top and extractor fan, and floors, cupboards and kick boards. He does floors down stairs too and bins are his domain.

I do hoovering,clean bathroom (although dh always gives it a swoosh with cleaning wipes), laundry, bed changing and dusting/polishing.

Issyfit Tue 30-May-06 16:55:57

Ask our nanny when she starts work for us to take out £x per week from the cashpoint and leave it out for our cleaner (who also irons and changes the beds).

I feel vaguely compelled to add an embarrassed 'smilely' but I won't!!

I'm also with Roobie and try to keep the clutter down with a "draconian toy regime and non-hoarding philosophy".

motherinferior Tue 30-May-06 17:08:21

I share that philosophy, but sadly live with three people who don't.

Actually that's not true, I do hoard
<looks round embarrassedly at so-called 'office' and collection of small girl clothes I couldn't bear to part with and am hoping to offload onto Hoxtonchick>

ginmummy Tue 30-May-06 17:10:32

Issyfit - your nanny irons the beds??!

FeckingFulfordmoonfiend Tue 30-May-06 17:12:11

In order to maintain a tidy house, it is neccesary for me to be shamed into cleaning. When my house reuqires cleaning, I invite someone new round for coffee, thereby ensuring that I will clean up. Once people have visted for the first time, they then fall into the 'friends' catagory. Friends, of course, take one as they find one.
Trouble is, I'm running out of new people to invte round, and if I don't find someone soon, the next 'new' visitors will be social services
So, when are you all next free for a coffee??

clairemow Tue 30-May-06 18:35:34

Totally with Motherinferior on this one, although sadly cooking isn't on my list of fun things to do either. Trying to think of something virtuous I like doing. Don't mind gardening.. and could spend hours making things like cards, wedding invites, framing pictures... none of which make the house any easier to keep clean/tidy!!

Steala Tue 30-May-06 18:58:18

I'm an all or nothing type of cleaner. I have a very impressive dirt/mess tolerance, but when I clean I do it thoroughly/obsesssively. I can easily spend an hour hoovering the stairs (although that might well be entirely necessary to make up for the 4 months since they were last hoovered!). It means that at any time there is (at least) one area of my house that looks like the before bit in How Clean is Your House and one bit that looks as if Kim and Aggie have been at it with a vengeance. This seemed to work quite well before kids but even I can't subect them to that level of grime.

So I am trying to change but failing miserably. Anyone else a lapsed all or nothing cleaner who has tips?

hullabaloo Tue 30-May-06 18:59:32

I am messy by nature and now have a cleaner who comes once a week and does two hours of cleaning and one hour ironing. I just really wanted someone to wash the floors for me as I hate that. She hoovers the whole house, polishes, does the three bathrooms and washes the floors. It also means I tidy up for her coming round !!I tried Flylady.com but the constant emails which worked for a short while eventually got deleted without me even reading them. She insists that if you do something fro 30 days it becomes a habit. Not sure about that! You should also shine your sink every night as part of your routine because uit will make you smile! I also find that a basket at the bottom of the stairs helps us. We use it to round up any toys or junk at the end of the day and it gets taken upstairs at night.

FloatingOnTheMed Tue 30-May-06 19:20:52

I'm not an obsessive cleaner, but I just find it very therapeutic cleaning up and seeing the end result. It also helps to clear my mind somehow. My parents' house is full of clutter & not all that clean either, so i think i am reacting to having grown up in a house like that.

Besides, specific reasons are:
clean/tidy kitchen - v difficult to cook next meal if have to wash up stuff i need to use or no surface space to cook on
clean/tidy living room at end of day - it becomes adult space again for the evening so i can relax properly. have known families who have toys & kids stuff all over the place, i just don't understand that.

I also think the bathroom sink/toilet is the barometer for how house proud someone is, as most visitors will get to see it. So i clean the bathroom sink as soon as it stops looking shiny Again, my parents' bathroom doesn't bear thinking about most of the time.

pegasus Tue 30-May-06 19:29:11

Steala you are a woman after my own heart! Sorry no tips!

cat64 Tue 30-May-06 20:20:45

Message withdrawn

QE Tue 30-May-06 20:30:12

Is there a slattern's club? if so I'm in.

Clean bathroom/shower room and toilets once a week - no set day just when i can fit it in. If the skidmarks become too unbearable then I might consider doing it more often.

Kids have a chore each every day so little things get done regularly. I go round after them when they're not looking if need be to do it properly!

Laundry every day as and when - this can sometimes be 3-4 times a day depending on how many football matches my boys have had.

Hide things that need ironing under the stairs for a month until no-one has any clothes left in their wardrobe so it MUST be done.

Mop floors once a week. Don';t do it more often as I like to make out funny faces in the dirt.

Change beds about every 10 days.

Polish when seeing the kids graffiti scrawled in it gets too obvious.

Hoover the stairs when I can't stand the bits sticking to the bottom of my feet.

Inviting people round definitely motivates me more to keep on top of things. So I don't invite anyone round very often, slattern that I am.

nooka Tue 30-May-06 21:46:03

I have a lovely cleaning lady. She comes once a week and tidies, cleans and generally organises us. She does our two loads of washing but we don't have any clothes that need ironing. Apart from that I tidy the kitchen every night and wipe the surfaces. When the kids are staying with me we tidy everything up before bed time (except for things we are still playing with). Dh has the kids the other half of the week and does his cleaning on Saturdays. His flat is always messier than mine, which is surprising as he was always very obsessive about cleaning, but ever since I de-cluttered to sell my place it has been fairly spotless. I think that once everything has a home the whole tidying thing becomes much easier. I'm not sure I will do so well when I have a house though. - much more space for mess!

MadamePlatypus Tue 30-May-06 21:54:24

floatingonthemed - I'm like you! I used to tidy up behind my parents as an act of rebellion - do you think we should form a support group?

goreousgirl Tue 30-May-06 21:55:28

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feeds my kids ...not according to nutrition...but according to how much mess it makes (2yrs & 6yrs) whilst eating it??!! Rice out, baked potato in. . I hoover downstairs twice a day, wash the kitchen floor once a day, clean all loos once a day seem to do 3 loads of laundry - never play with my kids and beat myself up daily about it! However - the house is immaculate 'just in case' someone pops round - funny thing is, they never do!! (And when they eventually do, it's always the day I DIDN'T clear up the sticky porridge and splatted strawberries before the school run) aghhh....

BearsMum Tue 30-May-06 22:01:55

Would anyone mind telling me what they pay for a cleaner? I am thinking of getting one but have no idea what to expect. Cheers if you can help.

pecka Tue 30-May-06 22:49:24

Bearsmum - the going rate round here (Newcastle) is about a fiver an hour

HTH

laundrylover Tue 30-May-06 23:31:23

Ours were £8 an hour from a local agency (in the NW). Trouble was that 2 or 3 came round at once for 40 minutes and it was all a bit too quick! Have stopped them but what I really need is a 'woman who does' for couple of hours a week I think. I'm just a lazy cow really as can do it myself if I put my mind to it and DP is very good when we have a blitz time.
Walk away from the bleach ladies!!!

EmmyLou Wed 31-May-06 00:09:47

Feckinfulfordmoonfeind - free for coffee anytime (Yorkshire only - will travel further for lunch) but does coffee come with biscuit or duster? Could mutual cleaning coffee mornings be the way forward? I'll bring my Lakeland californian duster thingy if you provide digestives...(on secondthoughts - too many crumbs)

MadameClarydeClary Wed 31-May-06 00:39:33

Cat64, you see, you do clean really!
I think people who say they don't must be lying, I am sure their houses are perfectly nice.
On the hoover front, I got in tonight in time to do swimming, got in from that 7pm, kids into jamas, story, off to bed, downstairs, DH watching football (digh) so I offer to go to Asda but first hoover three downstairs rooms and hall. Took 10 mins. I just couldn't stand to look at it otherwise, honestly.
Once went to a friend's house (and it was an NCT thing, so she knew we would be coming) and I honestly wouldn't have put a baby down on her living room floor. It was just covered in crud, crumbs, bits of thread, hairs, etc etc. Really not nice. So now I like to hoover.
A colleague of mine does it at 7.30am every day (slight ). But I like my nice evening with a clean carpet. Mind you she goes to be at 9pm so I guess that's not an issue for her lol.

FloatingOnTheMed Wed 31-May-06 08:03:11

hoover twice a day!!! Hoovering here is a major task involving clearing all floors, dusting all surfaces, dd hanging onto my hand (she was always scared of the hoover) and then putting everything back! If I hoovered twice a day it 'd take up the whole day!

FloatingOnTheMed Wed 31-May-06 08:03:21

PS I hoover about once a week

Gingerbear Wed 31-May-06 08:55:24

I have been shamed into action by this thread.
Got up at 5.45am (we need blackout linings) cleaned toilet shower and bath, cleaned kitchen put on dishwasher (that DH was SUPPOSED to do last night) and washed 2 sets of bedding.

I am going for a lie down now as this activity has upset my system.

MadamePlatypus Wed 31-May-06 09:29:05

DS has ground too many baby bell cheeses into people's carpets for me to worry about what they looked like before we arrived

MadamePlatypus Wed 31-May-06 09:31:18

Can I rephrase that as "worry about whether they were dirty before we arrived" - wouldn't want people to think that I am blase about DS ruining new cream carpets.

MadameClarydeClary Wed 31-May-06 09:37:04

hah! Gingerbear you know you love it.
Now go and do the ironing
Finished mine last night thank goodness <preen emoticon>

Gingerbear Wed 31-May-06 10:34:37

no need Mdme Clary - DH did the ironing on Monday night! (one of the few jobs he will do - so long as he can watch Sky Sports whilst doing so)

WelshBoris Wed 31-May-06 10:42:35

Am off to buy more storage boxes for DDs room its really getting me down

Keep meaning to get rid of some of her toys but cant bring myself to do it

SSSandy Wed 31-May-06 10:58:44

Broke with my routine yesterday and did the ironing. Was feeling inspired after reading how everyone else keeps on top of theirs.

How do those who never iron manage? Our stuff really needs an iron. Couldn't wear that crinkled up, wrinkled stuff. I'm wondering if it's because I leave it piled up on the chair for so long that it looks so bad?

Did 3 hours of ironing yesterday but I didn't finish the pile.

FioFio Wed 31-May-06 11:01:04

Message deleted

MadameClarydeClary Wed 31-May-06 11:05:23

See this is what I say sandy.
I think the "non-ironers" are lying.
Or else they say, peg it up really tight on the line, smooth and fold at once and put away - what a hassle, I'd rather iron tbh!
GB very impressive DH. I blame my monster pile on crap TV (all my fave shows have finished). Was reduced to watching ER for the 2nd time on Monday just to get some of it done...

compo Wed 31-May-06 11:07:12

definitely no ironing here. Dh's shirts get put on hangers in the airing cupboard straight from machine. T-shirts and trousers are hung over radiators. Everything else in tumble drier. We probably do look a bit creased but hey ho, life is short!!

clairemow Wed 31-May-06 11:15:36

Just like Compo, although DH does iron his shirts - luckily he doesn't have to wear one every day. They go in the wardrobe creasy and he irons one the night before he needs it. I don't mind going out looking a bit crumpled, and try to buy stuff that won't need ironing anyway - but then I don't think a cotton T-shirt or pair of jeans needs to be ironed - creases fall out on wearing, and if I were to iron them, they'd only get creases when I sat down or moved about. The one thing I always iron though is linen, hence not much of that in my wardrobe!!

Perhaps all my friends think I look a fright, but no-one's told me so ..... yet.

FioFio Wed 31-May-06 12:08:46

Message deleted

mclure Wed 31-May-06 13:25:38

DH does own ironing and all cooking. I do pretty much everything else. Classic DH comment during How Clean is Your House a few years back, someone was being shown how to clean a toilet, DH turns to me and says 'do we do that??'. I reply, no dear, I do.
I NEVER iron, DD is living in baby gros at the moment but that could all change soon, damn. Have just invested in a battery mop thing, made my morning today, how quick was that??? Love it. Currently do about 1 wash a day, bathroom once a week, floors once a week, kitchen several times a day (DH is like a flippin' whirlwind of destruction just walking through that room!)living room most evenings after DD is asleep/before dinner, bedroom, almost never, I'm asleep in there, not looking at it!!!
Does anyone else do about several different 'chores' just walking in the front door before even taking off coat and shoes??
Blokes don't see mess, plain and simple, it IS genetic, I'm convinced.

FloatingOnTheMed Wed 31-May-06 13:30:21

i do have a battery mop thing but have stopped using it to cut costs.

Never iron either, apart from the odd posh top if i'm going out if it needs ironing.

not looking forward to school uniforms etc.

clairemow Wed 31-May-06 14:15:47

was also thinking about school uniforms too earlier. How young is too young to do own ironing?!?!!!

MadameClarydeClary Wed 31-May-06 15:31:00

Mclure, that’s it, men don’t see the mess.
I love DH dearly and he is fab with the kids (in fact he’s at home with them this week and doing loads of stuff) but yes, when I walk in the door I start picking up discarded schoolbags, pyjamas from that morning fgs, wiping up crumbs in the kitchen, walk through to the garden to get the wash in, “oh hello everyone”
Well I exaggerate but it does feel a bit like that.
lol at yr DH and the loo.

Cadmum Wed 31-May-06 17:03:22

Lately, I avoid all resposibilities until I am expecting company and then I clean and tidy like a woman on fire.

In real life:

Daily: First thing: Unload dishwasher while the kettle boils. Thoughout the day: Two loads of laundry (folded by me; put away by the wearer in the evening) Breakfast, lunch and dinner dishes put in dishwasher after every meal. Kitchen floor and dining room floor swept and mopped every evening. Bathroom counters and loos wiped (with clorox wipes). Toys put away before bedtime.

Twice a week: (or more often if needed) Swiffer the entire flat.

Once a week (try for Friday but often on Saturday while DH has the kids): Proper cleaning of the bathrooms. Proper sorting of the desk and kids' toys.

Now that we don't have our own washing machine, the bedding is only done every other week but usually I prefer to do it weekly.

I am a recovering 'Neat Freak'. I still suffer from the 100% or NOTHING issue. Once there is something out of place I despair almost as much as if the place is a tip.

nicnack2 Wed 31-May-06 17:05:53

no routine have one very big cupboard though

Cadmum Wed 31-May-06 17:09:46

I seldom iron either... We tumble dry most of our clothing and fold it straight away. DH irons his own shirt as part of his morning routine and sometimes I can sneak in a pair of my trousers that need doing as well...

I do 90% of the house-work but DH is much better at a quick tidy-up than I am. (Sometimes we don't find things for months but at least the flat looks tidy, right?!)

I care less and less about the state of our place and figure that it will look better once the children are a little bit older.

I do wish that I could hire a great cleaner but I think that I am just to picky.

3catstoo Wed 31-May-06 17:14:42

Charliecat, you sound just like me. I hate that feeling when guests go. The 'find the bed' routine !!

Routine is not in my nature. I do like atidy house but never seem to have one. If I try to make everyone clear up after themselves I just end up sounding like a dragon.
My DH says I cannot have a 4th baby partly because I can't keep the house in order with 3. My reply 'well it can't get any worse !!!'

I guess I should be cleaning instead of MN'ing.

laundrylover Wed 31-May-06 21:02:51

You lot made me clean the house today! Actually got halfway through and then went out for lunch in Manchester to recover!!
I'm a non ironer too but VERY obsessive about my hanging out/radiator drying. Only use the tumble drier for nappies when it's wet and miserable (like for the last month!!)

cat64 Wed 31-May-06 21:50:41

Message withdrawn

MadamePlatypus Thu 01-Jun-06 09:13:29

Maybe this ironing thing comes down to what clothes you have. I mainly wear t-shirts and jeans, and all my trousers/skirts for work are synthetic mixes that don't need ironing. I expect you ironers are wafting around in linen everyday. I appreciate that it is nicer to have ironed duvet covers, but it is also nice to have home made profiteroles, and I am not attempting either.

AdelaideS Thu 01-Jun-06 09:26:46

Ironing is one big waste of time, what's so great about flat clothes anyway? Actually I feel quite affronted by all the crinkly-look clothes in the shops the last year or two, that was MY style!
Actually Laundrylover, you are so right, you just have to be on top of the hanging out/radiator drying stuff and then you don't really get crinkles anyway.

clairemow Thu 01-Jun-06 09:34:16

Cat64, what a great idea about cleaning together with friends!! Although I'd have to check what was in my drawers and cupboards first.. and would find it rather tempting to poke about in theirs too. Guess you'd have to know eachother v. well...!!!

muminaquandary Thu 01-Jun-06 10:28:08

What about time-saving tips?

I stack all cutlery & crockery by item in the dishwasher, eg all spoons together etc, makes unloading quicker

Sort laundry in a divider as it goes in the basket

Leave a little bleach or steriliser in the sink overnight to lift the worst of the teabag stains

Hang all shirts to dry on hangers so ironing is an easier job

Have drilled DS into sorting clothes by colour then putting them in basket, putting nappies & other rubbish in bin, wiping table after himself, putting 1 toy away before playing with another (he is 3 yrs 1 month)

muminaquandary Thu 01-Jun-06 10:28:10

What about time-saving tips?

I stack all cutlery & crockery by item in the dishwasher, eg all spoons together etc, makes unloading quicker

Sort laundry in a divider as it goes in the basket

Leave a little bleach or steriliser in the sink overnight to lift the worst of the teabag stains

Hang all shirts to dry on hangers so ironing is an easier job

Have drilled DS into sorting clothes by colour then putting them in basket, putting nappies & other rubbish in bin, wiping table after himself, putting 1 toy away before playing with another (he is 3 yrs 1 month)

mummyhill Thu 01-Jun-06 18:01:52

Clip/safety pin pairs of socks together so that you don't spend forever sorting them and searching for that everelusive one that the machine ate.

clairemow Thu 01-Jun-06 18:38:02

My dishwasher instructions say not to load like cutlery with like, or they don't wash as clean as they tend to fit together and the water/soap can't get in so well. So I just chuck mine in!

muminaquandary Thu 01-Jun-06 18:57:54

mummyhill - good one (but don't the clips rust?)
claire - huh, those people that write instructions don't live in the Real World!!

mummyhill Sat 03-Jun-06 00:58:57

you can get plastic ones from lakeland.

BBWBabeLisa Sun 04-Jun-06 14:10:40

Olipop - care to share your mega-organised spreasheet??

I'm ashamed to say I've hardly done a stitch of housework since DD was born 5 months ago. The bare minimum of superficial tidying gets done with DH's help but the place is beginning to annoy even me. DH has gone away with work for 10 days so I have started by deep cleaning the kitchen (in between feeds/changes etc so has taken me two days).
I'm determined to get the place sorted then get a routine. To this end I've bought every book I could find on the subject:
*Confessons of an Organized Homemaker* (Ok fess up, which one of you mega-organised super-mums wrote it??)
*Sink Reflections
The Family Manager's Everyday Survival Guide*
One of these days I may even get around to reading them rather than just letting them gather dust (and lots of it)

clairemow Sun 04-Jun-06 14:18:14

After being on this thread, I finally felt guilty enough yesterday to clean my oven... moved here 2 years ago, and this was the first time... Now very self congratulatory and proud. Not sure it's going to have any long lasting effect though...

cat64 Sun 04-Jun-06 15:02:38

Message withdrawn

crazydazy Mon 05-Jun-06 10:41:32

I tidy up a little every day but Wednesday is when I try and blitz the whole house. When DS starts full time school in September Wednesday is going to be my assigned day for spring cleaning from top to bottom.

I got the Kim and Aggie book and if ever I can't be bothered I read that and it really does motivate me.

crazydazy Mon 05-Jun-06 10:42:43

I don't clean my oven as often as I should (probably once every three months - ewwwww) it needs doing so thats first on my list on Wednesday.

clairemow Wed 07-Jun-06 12:53:46

crazydazy, you are very good. My oven cleaning the other day was the first time in 2 years. It will be the last time for another 2 probably. No-one's yet died after eating here!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now