Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

What is your housekeeping routine?

(168 Posts)
pecka Mon 29-May-06 14:38:41

Come on..... love to read about peoples domestic habits.

What do you do to make sure how is tidy and clean throughout the week (or not as the case may be)

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 14:39:10

eh??
you've lost me

WideWebWitch Mon 29-May-06 14:41:28

Our cleaner comes on Mon, Weds and Friday for 2 hours each time. So it's always more or less ok!

WideWebWitch Mon 29-May-06 14:42:09

And where we were living before I couldn't get one for love nor money so it is about time and absolutely liberating!

Mercy Mon 29-May-06 14:56:52

Unfortunately I have no routine whatsoever, which is probably why my house looks like a charity shop.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether I should just clean and tidy where it shows, or to tackle one room thoroughly, even if it takes all day long (or all week in the case of our bedroom)

scienceteacher Mon 29-May-06 14:58:32

My au pair does it.

lahdeedah Mon 29-May-06 14:58:45

Okay I will share... No cleaner in this household unfortunately! Usually this is roughly how it goes:

Mondays - clean kitchen/sort laundry (usually end up with about 6 loads that get done over the next few days)
Tuesdays - mop floors/vacuum carpets
Wednesdays - clean bathroom

I have a quick tidy up every evening while DH is bathing DD (i.e. chuck toys and books back in boxes). Everything else gets done as and when.

colditz Mon 29-May-06 14:59:38

My house is a slatternly mess.

what I do to try to control the mess, is bark at dp "Don't you bloody dare leave that there, is it dirty? Where do dirty clothes go? Then put it there!"

Twiglett Mon 29-May-06 15:00:39

I invite people round .. which makes me frantically clear up the mess and hoover

and on weds the cleaner comes

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:01:32

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Mon 29-May-06 15:08:08

Go round everyday after dropping kids to school putting things back.

Bleach down toilet everyday.

Sweep downstairs every day (no carpet down stairs)

do washing and put washing out, and sort and put away everyday. Run dishwasher everyday.

Clean bathroom 3-4 times a week (once thoroughly and the rest with cleaning wipes)

Polish 1-2 a week

Clean floors every other day

Hoover every other day

change beds once a week

Pruni Mon 29-May-06 15:09:22

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Mon 29-May-06 15:10:59

Pruni - please come round and see it now. It looks burgled

moondog Mon 29-May-06 16:01:28

The secret is to keep on top of it by doing a little ever day,never go to bed without making sure all is shipshape,and keeping posessions and ..things to an absolute minimum.
Also no shoes in house and train your kids that what they pull out must go back.

SleepyJess Mon 29-May-06 16:11:12

Housekeeping routine.... pah!!

moondog Mon 29-May-06 16:13:11

Easy to sneer but sorted home means there's far more time and energy to devote to really interesting stuff.

SleepyJess Mon 29-May-06 16:17:08

I'm not sneering.. I'm despairing - of myself!!

Roobie Mon 29-May-06 16:18:00

Very much of the school of avoiding making a mess in the first place here.
- no clutter (draconian toy regime and non-hoarding philosophy!)

- do a very little bit often

- don't have a routine, just do things that need doing when you spot they need doing

charliecat Mon 29-May-06 16:57:20

shove it all in my bedroom and hoover, spend all night once the guests have gone finding my bed under a housefuls worth of clutter

moondog Mon 29-May-06 19:47:36

I'll sort you out SJ!
What's the biggest problem then?

foxinsocks Mon 29-May-06 19:51:13

I keep the loo/sink/kitchen surfaces clean but like Twiglett, I reserve any proper cleaning/tidying for when we have people round

Also, dh + kids are king of clutter. There's not a surface in this house that isn't covered with either books, papers or just pointless stuff that never gets thrown away.

moondog Mon 29-May-06 19:52:49

Just throw it.
That's my strategy.
(Recycle rather.)

Jessajam Mon 29-May-06 19:58:50

For me, the biggest problem is time, followed by motivation ( twig/pruni...me too! and our bedroom is ALWAYS a total pile, cos none of our visitors need to go in there so it is the repository for everything else!!!) followed by having too much stuff that needs sorting before any of it can be recycled/sold/donated/binned...

moondog Mon 29-May-06 19:59:47

Sort it!
It will take less time to sort it than it will mildly stressing about it for weeks,nay months.

FloatingOnTheMed Mon 29-May-06 20:03:32

I wash up/clean surfaces every time i cook a meal, and while dd is watching breakfast telly i do any leftover washing up & the laundry (every 2 days). I choose a morning when we don't have to go out to do the big chores like clean out the fridge, hoovering etc etc, (dd is v chilled out so i can pretty much do it uninterrupted, or with a willing companion )
We have tidy up time before bathtime so all toys etc are put away .i use that time if there's other tidying to do too or quick dusting etc. And i clean the bathroom while dd is in the bath about once a week (the sink more often)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now